Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #1851
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
Holy s**t! Now were talking! Keep us posted!
Big bucket list item for me too.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #1852
Derrik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zavala County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin93 View Post
We are in Honolulu and depart for Christmas Island in the morning. Just finished rigging my reels. I am so freaking stoked for this trip!!!!

Boom! That is going to be awesome. What rod/reel combo's are you bringing?
Derrik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #1853
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrik View Post
Boom! That is going to be awesome. What rod/reel combo's are you bringing?
Yeah, how do you like those Ross reels?
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #1854
chrisgunguy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking.....

I just posted two fly rods for sale in the classifieds.
chrisgunguy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #1855
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Head to broken bow in the morning! If you see a couple lost rednecks attempting to fly fish in the park stop and say hi!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #1856
Slew
Pope & Young

This eve was a great reminder of why I crappie fish! 2 hours and not a bite! Blood and honey. Coop elevator psychedelic supremo and funky chicken to ease the pain. I'm no fly fisherman but every year we've been here since the flood has been worse than the year before. Back to the slabs next week!!!

Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #1857
Slew
Pope & Young

We caught some this eve! Waders have a leak in the left foot!! That wasn't fun! Hafta get another pair before next trip!!!

Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #1858
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: only in Texas

Christmas Island report needed. Just because we want to see it.
No local bite worth talking about here.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #1859
klooney
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere possible

Finally sending my hardy rod in for repairs after I caught a giant tree awhile back... hopefully I’m back on the water soon
klooney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:41 AM   #1860
Draco
Pope & Young

Klooney, seriously, if you need to borrow a rod then let me know. I have plenty of almost every weight and length.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #1861
klooney
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere possible

Thanks for the offer Draco I appreciate it!

I’ve been so busy this past year, I just haven’t had the itch as bad as I used to... so I don’t mind holding off a few more weeks, but thanks again

I’ll start posting pictures of my little hill country fish in between the pics of all these other amazing adventures here in a few weeks
klooney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #1862
Slew
Pope & Young

Headed back home! Met some nice folks on the river that showed us how to fish a wolly booger. I caught 8 yesterday. Couple nice trout for broken bow.

It was plenty cold! Had to buy a new pair of wader! Mine give out in 28 degree weather!!

Old 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #1863
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Nice job Slew!! It can be tougher than dunking a jig for slabs I love watching a trout rise to a fly though and it looks like you need a challenge anyway after watching you clean up on the crappie
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #1864
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Nice job Slew!! It can be tougher than dunking a jig for slabs I love watching a trout rise to a fly though and it looks like you need a challenge anyway after watching you clean up on the crappie

Thanks! Prolly get some decent line before next year. Maybe can cast farther than 30 feet then!! Course it's more the fly flinger than the fly line!!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1865
BCorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leflore county -Honobia,OK

Slew (or anyone else interested) I have a rental cabin in broken bow. If you go back let me know and I can send you the information.
BCorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #1866
Vermin93
Ten Point

Hunt In: North TX, OK, TN

Has a blast at Christmas Island!

At Ikari House the standard config is 2 fishermen per guide, so you get the guide half the day and the other half of the day you are on your own, usually 100 or so yards away. I like that model. I think it helps you learn.

First 2 days - cloudy and rain with little to no wind. Never took my rain jacket off on day 2. Very hard to see fish, but the guide could still find them. The lack of wind had them very spooky. Managed about 5 bones each day. Caught a baby GT. Hit a few triggerfish flats, but couldn't hook one. Never seen a fish so spooky. They have become nemesis. Pulled several small grouper and snapper off the rocks.

Day 3 - partly sunny and pretty good visibility. Double-digit bonefish day. Caught as many with the guide as I did myself, which raised my confidence. Lost a few big ones. Had a blast.

Day 4- more clouds, this time with high winds. Tough fishing. My fishing partner today was inexperienced and really struggled without a guide, so I was on my own most of the day. Spent the morning on a triggerfish flat. Had over 10 shots and blew them all, including a mac-daddy trigger that would have made my trip. The tide was ripping when I came up behind 3 big GT's. We didn't see each other, but they heard me and did a wide u-turn right back at me. Dropped my bone rod, grabbed my 11-wt, stripped off some line, went to cast and the top 3 inches of the rod tip broke off. I stood there disgusted as the GT's blew by me at about 20 feet. My new Winston Saltwater Air was now out of commission for the trip. Fortunately, I had an old TFO Jim Teeny 10-wt in the boat as a backup (more on that shortly). Changed flats after lunch and caught a few bones. Jumped another big GT, but it took off before I could make a move. Saw a GT working just off the edge of the flat, so I grabbed the 10-wt and made several blind casts in that direction. After about 8 casts...pow! The rod shattered just above the middle. This rod had probably landed 30 Belize tarpon since 2007, so I forgave it, even thought it was probably my fault. Thankfully I had a TFO Axiom II 12-wt back at the lodge as a backup. (By the way, I called TFO in Dallas and they said to bring that old, busted 10-wt down to the warehouse and they would hook me up).

Day 5 - gorgeous day, but more high winds. Went on a "backcountry" trip to hunt for GT's. The backcountry is a system of really large lagoons that used to be milkfish and tilapia farms, but they flooded back in the day and bonefish, GT's, barracudas and other fish got in. They are pretty much stuck in there now. They eat milkfish and tilapia and get really big, but they are super spooky. You walk around the edge of the lagoons looking for GT's cruising the edges. We saw several and I made some good casts, but they just wouldn't commit to the fly. It was frustrating. I made a long cast to what I thought was a GT. The fish crashed my fly and I though to myself "this is actually going to happen". Then the fish jumped and I saw it was about a 4-ft barracuda. Line cut, $10 GT fly gone, game over. After lunch we left the backcountry, hit a sandy flat and caught more bones.

Day 6 - best weather day of the trip. Mostly clear skies and manageable wind. Epic bonefishing in the morning. Another double-digit bonefish day. Landed some good ones, but lost 3 bruisers. Not sure if it was me or the gear, but I had multiple clean breaks with Orvis Mirage 12lb and 16lb flouro leaders and tippet. Went to a 20lb leader and hooked a spunky young GT on my 8-wt. It was fun on the small rod. I can only imagine what a big one would be like. Caught a few more bones the rest of the day. On the way in we trolled GT flies from our 12-wt rods and I caught an African pompano. Evidently they are very rare at Christmas Island, as all the guides in our boat wanted a picture of it before we released it.

We caught several blue trevally trolling GT flies in between flats. We saw some golden trevally, but I'm not aware of anyone who caught one on the trip.

In our group of 16 anglers, I believe there were only 2 GT's landed above 10 lbs. There was a trio from Iceland who had been there the past 4 years, and they suggested Christmas Island might be getting a little overfished. I suppose that could be the case. It's a relatively affordable trip, so there are groups coming and going almost year round. Regardless, it was a great adventure and I'd really like to go back again because it's a beautiful and diverse fishery and I know I could be a lot more productive the 2nd time around now that I have a week of experience under my belt. My biggest disappointment was not landing a big-daddy bonefish. They are definitely there and I hooked a few, but it just didn't work out. That alone makes me want to go back.

My main comparison is Ambergris, Belize, and I would have to say that the bonefishing at Christmas Island blows Ambergris bonefishing away. However, sight casting for tarpon on the flats near Ambergris may still be my favorite fishing experience to date, although that might change if I ever hook a big GT.

Last edited by Vermin93; 02-13-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Vermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 01:50 AM   #1867
Vermin93
Ten Point

Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #1868
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Great write up for what I'm sure was an incredible trip! Maybe some day I'll brave the salt, but as much as I struggle with fresh water, I'm not sure.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #1869
Vermin93
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yeah, how do you like those Ross reels?
They are 10+ year old Ross Momentum reels. I like them. They have been reliable and get the job done. That said, I'm in love with my new Hatch 7 Plus.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #1870
thegrouse
Ten Point

Looks like a blast
Old 02-14-2019, 01:15 AM   #1871
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

Awesome trip! Not much better than hooking up with nice bonefish, but a giant trevally would be unreal.

Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #1872
kdwalker
Nubbin' Buck

I love this! Lots of good stuff about fly fishing. I could use some pictures and stories on my website texasdeerandbass.com. Send me some information guys.
kdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #1873
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

I must be loosing my mind to want to start another hobby but, have you ever fabricated your own bamboo rod? I am considering giving it a shot from raw materials. To have a custom one built just for me will run into the thousands and take over a year to receive! I can build one for @ $400 less my time. A seasoned craftsman can go from raw products to a finished product in 60 hours. It will probably take me all of 200 hours but how many people can say they have caught fish on the fly and rod they personally made?

Michael

Brazos Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #1874
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

By the way, I picked up several reels a couple months ago and have an extra Okuma Integrity I-5/6b to part with in a 9 of 10 condition with only a bright spot on the center of the spool from line rub. Would love to just trade for an equal value (can add cash) 3/4 wt.

Michael

Brazos Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #1875
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
They are 10+ year old Ross Momentum reels. I like them. They have been reliable and get the job done. That said, I'm in love with my new Hatch 7 Plus.
I love Hatch reels. I really regret selling mine. Now I need to buy another or save up and get a nautilus
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #1876
Vermin93
Ten Point

Gotta watch this. My goodness, that girl can fish. Epic GT hook up.

https://www.facebook.com/simmsfishin...26007270766340
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 AM   #1877
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:

Wow! She knows what she is doing!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #1878
DTala
Ten Point

combat fishing, talented girl for sure.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #1879
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Cool video
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #1880
Clay C
Ten Point

I believe that is from the film "Providence" by Confluence Films if i'm not mistaken. You can download it on Itunes. Great for fishing action, but also tells the story of how they came to fish the island, pirate issues etc.. One of their captains was actually boarded by pirates immediately after dropping off some clients at the end of a trip and was held captive for months.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #1881
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I believe that is from the film "Providence" by Confluence Films if i'm not mistaken. You can download it on Itunes. Great for fishing action, but also tells the story of how they came to fish the island, pirate issues etc.. One of their captains was actually boarded by pirates immediately after dropping off some clients at the end of a trip and was held captive for months.
Wow on the video but no thanks on the pirates, yikes!
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #1882
yaqui
Ten Point

Quote:
Has a blast at Christmas Island!

At Ifishing experience to date, although that might change if I ever hook a big GT.
A couple of questions,

How proficient are you at casting? I figure I am pretty good, but double hauling is another category. How long are your longer casts? Do you need to be an expert to pull this off?

How does price to fish Belize compare to Christmas? Is there somewhere else you would go for a starer trip?

The folks at TFO are great about repairs, especially if you can drop by. I have once, and they were cool as can be.

Thanks in advance,

p
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #1883
yaqui
Ten Point

Quote:

I would have just crapped my shorts. She is pretty amazing.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #1884
thegrouse
Ten Point

Where is going to be the best spot to fish in the end of April freshwater? I am afraid the waters will be too high in MT with all the snow they are getting this year.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #1885
Vermin93
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
A couple of questions,

How proficient are you at casting? I figure I am pretty good, but double hauling is another category. How long are your longer casts? Do you need to be an expert to pull this off?

How does price to fish Belize compare to Christmas? Is there somewhere else you would go for a starer trip?

The folks at TFO are great about repairs, especially if you can drop by. I have once, and they were cool as can be.

Thanks in advance,

p
I'm probably a little above average casting in saltwater. Definitely not expert, great or really good. There were 2 guys on the Xmas Island trip that had literally been fly fishing twice....for trout. The lodge host gave them informal casting lessons the first few days and it wasn't long before they were catching some bonefish. Now, I don't recommend spending thousands of dollars to travel all that way and not being at least a decent caster. To dust off the cobwebs before the trip I spent $75 for a 1-hr casting lesson at Tailwaters Fly Shop in Dallas. Sean Polk at Tailwaters is a good instructor and will help you get your cast where it needs to be to adequately fish the salt. Since you are in Dallas, I highly recommend it. It's money well spent....and they have free beer.

Most of my casts at Xmas Island were relatively short compared to tarpon fishing from a panga on the flats in Belize. In fact, you really don't need to have a good double haul. A good, basic fundamental casting stroke is all you need at Xmas. The key is practice....in the wind. Take a lesson, find a park, pick a windy day, and get out there and practice.

Anywhere you go is going to have a learning curve if you've never been there or haven't fly fished the salt much. I like Belize because it's close, fun and relatively affordable. I've fished with the same local guide in Belize for 10 years, so I book with him directly and stay in the hotel of my choosing. This keeps the cost down compared to a hosted or group trip. That said, El Pescador on Ambergris Caye is a popular fly fishing lodge and a full service operation. It's a very nice place and if I was going for the first time I would probably join a group trip to El Pescador. There are other good locations to fish in Belize other than Ambergris, but I have only been to Ambergris. I want to go to Turneffe Flats in Belize one of these years. Google it and check it out. It looks incredible.

I have also taken a couple busted rods down to the TFO warehouse for replacement (don't try to pull a big ray up off the bottom). I agree those guys are super cool.

If you haven't been down to Tailwaters, I recommend paying them a visit. Call ahead and find out when Sean is working. He has been to way more saltwater fly fishing spots than me and he will give you some good advice about where to go for a starter trip based on your budget.

My last piece of advice is this....unless you want to develop an instant and lifelong obsession....do not hook a decent sized tarpon on a fly. It will ruin you.

Watch this if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by Vermin93; 02-25-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #1886
BowBuddy
Ten Point

I would pick a hula hoop or trash can lid and stand 20 feet, than start moving back

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
BowBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #1887
yaqui
Ten Point

delete
Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #1888
yaqui
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm probably a little above average casting in saltwater.
Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I've never had to cast beyond my comfort zone maybe 30 feet as I have mostly trout fished. A trip to tailgaters is in my future. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #1889
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

Any fly fisherman here in the Victoria area? Looking to connect with some guys who are passionate about it.
Bryan2014 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #1890
Clay C
Ten Point

Just put a really nice, brand new, custom built Epic 686 in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #1891
thegrouse
Ten Point

For a late April trip would Cancun, Key West, Boise or AR be better fishing? I prefer the freshwater fly fishing but I wouldn't mind trying the saltwater.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #1892
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
For a late April trip would Cancun, Key West, Boise or AR be better fishing? I prefer the freshwater fly fishing but I wouldn't mind trying the saltwater.
Would this be strictly a fishing trip? Unless you have flexibility, I wouldn't suggest Cancun for a fly fishing trip.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #1893
thegrouse
Ten Point

A little of everything. I do want to get 2 days fishing in but I also snow ski and like exploring. I do not like loafing on the beaches.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #1894
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
A little of everything. I do want to get 2 days fishing in but I also snow ski and like exploring. I do not like loafing on the beaches.
Family trip? I ask because there are some cool places you can go if you fly into Cancun and are willing to drive, but some people aren't comfortable driving their family around there.

I've been to the Keys and Everglades that time of year. had a pretty good trip, but the weather can be bi-polar. Plus if you want a guide for a couple days chances are everyone has been booked for a while.

I don't know anything about Boise, but my personal choice would be Western Montana. Although depending when in late April you could be getting dangerously close to runoff season, there should still be some good fishing to be had. Plus sights to see and interesting people to meet.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #1895
thegrouse
Ten Point

I used to drive into the interior of Mexico regularly but those days are over. No kids on this trip just my girlfriend. If we did Cancun we would stay close to the major areas. I was considering Costa Rica again but I didn't find much inshore fishing. I did Western MT this summer, but they have got a lot of snow lately. My Dad is in the Bitterroot valley so I go up there frequently.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #1896
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
I used to drive into the interior of Mexico regularly but those days are over. No kids on this trip just my girlfriend. If we did Cancun we would stay close to the major areas. I was considering Costa Rica again but I didn't find much inshore fishing. I did Western MT this summer, but they have got a lot of snow lately. My Dad is in the Bitterroot valley so I go up there frequently.
Your Dad looking for another Son?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #1897
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

I’m having to go to Cancun in late April. Any suggestions for a guide?
jkk831 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #1898
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Quote:

Id take a look at Breckenridge Colorado honestly, you can fish a lot of tail waters with Breckenridge Outfitters and Arapaho basin to Breck is still skiable. Gorgeous country
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #1899
thegrouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
Id take a look at Breckenridge Colorado honestly, you can fish a lot of tail waters with Breckenridge Outfitters and Arapaho basin to Breck is still skiable. Gorgeous country
I have called a few places in ID and the Sierras. April sounds like a tough month. I am currently looking at maybe Asheville, NC
Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #1900
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co
Default How many fly fishermen on here.

Quote:
I am currently looking at maybe Asheville, NC

If youre interested in traveling that direction, look into the Elk River and Slaty Fork in West Virginia near Snowshoe. The upper Elk is one of the best rivers in the east for big browns and rainbows and guide rates are around 1/2 price of what is costs on Western rivers or on the Guad.

April can be high/muddy or really good depending on weather. #1 guide is Dave Breitmeier www.elkfisher.com

Last edited by Mountaineer; 02-28-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top