Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #51
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I fell 22ft from a tree stand on top of my bow with a quiver full of thunderheads. God was watching over me that day. But no nothing serious other then hypothermia on a goose hunt.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #52
Buckley99
Ten Point

This isn’t a hunting injury but a fishing injury.

When I was 16 or so I was wade fishing (wet wading in shorts) and was walking across an exposed oyster reef. I stepped on what I thought was a mound but quickly found out that it was completely hollow underneath. The second I put weight in my right leg, my leg dropped about three feet into a hole. On the way down, the oysters cut a baseball-sized hole out of my upper leg. I had to wade about 200 yards back to the boat, as my leg was gushing blood. I yelled out to my dad (who was wading about 100 yards on the other side of the boat) that I cut myself pretty bad and was bleeding all over the boat. His response, “There are some towels under the leaning post. I’m in some fish and will head that way here in a bit.”

After some heavy cleaning at the ER, and 30 stitches, all was repaired.
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #53
TexOddball
Four Point

Hunt In: Travis Co, public all over

Out at the ranch by myself, I was filling feeders, using a rickety homemade wooden ladder, just 2x4s nailed together, leaned against the barrel. Shifting my weight around lifting a bag of corn, the ladder “accordianed” together, pinching my right foot, and the whole scene fell to the ground. Knocked the feeder over, the slinger broke loose, bent the barrel, and broke two bones in my right foot. Spent the rest of hunting season with a big orthopedic boot and crutches, but apparently my karma was on a good swing, because I ended up taking my biggest buck yet from that same stand just a few weeks later.

Last edited by TexOddball; 12-09-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Details
TexOddball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #54
Jimbo47
Six Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexOddball View Post
Out at the ranch by myself, I was filling feeders, using a rickety homemade wooden ladder, just 2x4s nailed together, leaned against the barrel.
I'm ashamed to say I've done this for many years and at times when I was all alone.
I think back on it, and I get chills and the hair on the back of my neck stands up.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #55
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Seeing that last post reminded me of one very close call. I leaned a ladder up against a feeder that I did not realize was almost empty. When I got to the top of the ladder with a bag on my shoulder one feeder leg sunk in the mud and tipped away from me. I rode the barrel to the ground. Got away with two broken fingers and some badly bruised ribs
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #56
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckley99 View Post

When I was 16 or so I was wade fishing (wet wading in shorts) and was walking across an exposed oyster reef. I stepped on what I thought was a mound but quickly found out that it was completely hollow underneath. The second I put weight in my right leg, my leg dropped about three feet into a hole. On the way down, the oysters cut a baseball-sized hole out of my upper leg. I had to wade about 200 yards back to the boat, as my leg was gushing blood. I yelled out to my dad (who was wading about 100 yards on the other side of the boat) that I cut myself pretty bad and was bleeding all over the boat. His response, “There are some towels under the leaning post. I’m in some fish and will head that way here in a bit.”

Good thing your dad was there. Lol sorry but that made me chuckle.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #57
Biggs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Dakota

Last year while packing out my whitetail, I slipped and had a very close call with an antler tip and my eyeball.
This year while packing out my mule deer, I slipped and had a very close call with an antler tip and my eyeball.

Slow learning curve I guess
Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #58
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

Broken ribs. Serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #59
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

We have had multiple almost very bad situations over the years. One that scared the crap out of me and my brother happened back around 1992. We were hunting on a ranch outside of Boerne, the ranch was mostly very steep hills. The tops of the hills had been cleared many years ago, but the sides of the hills were very steep, so they left the dense cedar brush on the sides, too dangerous to get a dozer on the sides of the hills or most of the sides of the hills.

So my brother and I were hunting on the top of one of the tallest hills on the place. I don't remember why, but my brother started running across the top of the hill, towards the side of hill. He was trying to run down the hill, but it was very steep. He was stumbling and slipping going down the hill. That area of the hill was covered with very dense cedar. I almost want to say, my brother saw a huge buck we had been after, that hung out on that hill, but not sure that's what was going on. I do remember he and I hunted that hill for that buck.

So as he was running down the side, there were rocks tumbling along in front of him, making a bunch of noise as they tumbled down the hill. As we were running down the side of the hill, I was trying to figure out, exactly where we were, basically which hill we were running down the side of. The reason being, one of the hills in that area, had a cliff, that dropped off about 400 ft. straight down. Just sheer rock cliff, very beautiful from the valley below. Well as we were running, I saw enough of the surrounding hill sides, to know we were running straight for that cliff. I started yelling at my brother to stop, he kept running. I kept yelling for him to stop, then yelled the **** cliff is right below us. He realized the cliff was below right about the same time I yelled that. He said he was hearing the rocks, clanging along making a lot of noise, then all of the sudden, all of the rock noise quit. He tried to stop, but wound up slipping and sliding down the steep hill side, that was mostly covered with large, flat, loose rocks. He started screaming, I tried to catch up with him and grab him. I slid down the hill, like I was sliding into home plate. I caught him with one hand and grabbed a cedar tree with the other. We finally came to a stop. Had he slid another four feet, he would have gone over the cliff. As we were realizing how close we both came to going over the cliff, rocks kept tumbling or sliding down the hill past us and off of the cliff. We could not hear them hit the bottom. It was pretty scary, once we realized how close to the edge we were. We crawled back up the hill, never went anywhere near that side of the hill again.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #60
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Another almost bad accident, happened years before the last incident. I was about 12 to 13 years old. I and two other kids were riding around in my parents truck on the ranch, we guided on. We had stopped to look at something, don't remember what. But we all got back in the truck, I was driving. I got in the driver's seat, another kid, who was the son of a good friend of ours, got in the back of the truck. He had a Marlin bolt action 22 Mag. Somehow, when he put the butt of the rifle on the floor of the truck and tried to help himself in the truck, the gun went off. The barrel was pointed up and forwards. The muzzle of the gun, was below and behind my head. The muzzle blast burnt the back of my neck and base of my head. I felt my hair get blown upwards, not sure if the bullet went through my hair or just missed my hair. The bullet went through the roof above my head. I took the rifle away from him and found it was still on safety. I think he slammed it down on the floor of the truck with a little force, because he was using the rifle to help pull himself into the truck. Whatever happened scared the crap out of me. After that, no more loaded guns in the trucks.

When my mother found out what had happened she flipped out, we knew that was going to happen, we tried to keep her from finding out. It was kind of hard to hide the bullet hole in the roof of the truck, then trying to explain the bullet hole in the roof of the truck.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-09-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #61
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

The worst accident that actually did happen when I was about 14. I had shot a javelina and was in the process of gutting the thing. The knife I had was extremely sharp. The knife was slicing through the javelina like a razor cutting paper. But then I went to cut between it's back legs, I pulled the hide away from the animal and tried to gently slice through the hide, but the knife was not cutting. I finally just whipped the knife, just used my wrist, to flick the knife. In an attempt to cut the hide. Well the knife went through the hide easily. I then saw there was a thin piece of cartilage, that I had pulled up with the hide, so I was trying to cut through the cartilage and the hide at the same time.

Well when I flicked the knife and it easily cut through the hide and cartilage, I felt a thump on the inside of my left leg. The guy who was standing there watching me, got this look on his face, like that's not good. My response was, yes, that could have been bad. He said no it is bad, I thought what is he talking about. I looked down and at first saw a hole in my jeans, then realized there was a deep hole in my leg. As I was looking down in the deep hole in my leg, it suddenly filled up with blood and overflowed all over the place. There was quickly blood all over my jeans and the ground. I tried to get up, but I quickly found I had cut a muscle in the front of my leg. Trying to stand up hurt like hell. I stood up, then limped around bleeding all over the place. David, said I needed to go to the hospital, but I did not want to go. He later made a comment about being a vet, he doctored up all of the FFA animals for the kids in his daughter's school. He said he stitched up sheep and hogs all the time. So I asked him to stitch up my leg, he looked at it again and said no. That I needed to go to the hospital.

We were south of Falfurrias, it was over 100 degrees that day. We went back to camp, looked for first aid supplies and then David found about three heavy blankets. I was not paying any attention to him at the time. As we were walking to the truck, everything went black, I tried to yell out, that I could not see. But nothing came out, then I could feel myself falling face forwards, towards the ground. I never felt myself hit the ground.

A while later, I realized I was in my truck, when they started the truck, the air blowing out of the vents, had to have been extremely hot, because it was a black truck that had been in the sun most of the day and it was over 100 degrees that day. But the air felt like I was up in the artic and the air was something like -40 and a 50 mph wind blowing.
Basically very hot air, felt extremely cold. So they shut off the A/C, David started wrapping me up in the heavy blankets he brought from the camp house. Even with three heavy blankets on me, in a black truck in 100 plus degree heat, I was so cold, I was shaking and my teeth were chattering to the point, I was sure my teeth were going to be chipped up or broken, if I survived. I tried to stop shivering and chattering my teeth, but it was way beyond my control.

I lost consciousness again, until a good while later, when we got to the hospital. As we pulled into the hospital parking lot, I could hear liquid sloshing around on the floor of the truck. My thought was, I am going to have a nasty mess to clean up, someone kicked over my 44 oz. Dr. Pepper. When we stopped in the parking lot and opened the right side door, I could hear liquid pouring out on the ground. Again, my thought was, there sure is a lot of soda on the floor of the truck, it's going to be one serious mess to clean up later.

We got into the ER, the took me to a operating room, put me on a table. The doctor asked what happened, I told him. He said, you are lucky you did not cut the artery in your leg, you would not be here, you would be dead. I told him, I think I did cut the artery, he said that was not possible. Then the doctor gave me multiple locals around the wound. Then started digging his finger around in the wound. That was a very strange, uncomfortable feeling. A very dull pain, just very uncomfortable. Eventually he decided he had all of the clotted blood out of the wound. Then stitched up the muscle and then closed the wound up. Then the blood started flowing again. He kept trying to wipe it up, but it kept flowing. So he cut all of the stitches and went back in. Cut the stitches inside, looked around again, added some more stitches to the muscle, then restitched the outside again. Again, the blood started flowing. So he went back in my leg a third time. Cut the stitches down inside my leg, the mopped up some more blood, started digging around, kept looking and eventually his eyes got very big. When I saw that, I said. I told you I cut the artery, I don't think it's cut all the way through, but it's cut. He gave me a look like you are lucky to be alive. He did not say anything, just went to work stitching up the artery, then the muscle and then stitched up the skin again. That time the blood finally stopped flowing.

When I finally got up to leave, the whole operating room floor was covered with bloody foot prints. I had bled all over the floor and they had been walking around in it. My step father had to leave, I figured out why he left the room at that point.

Later we went back out to the truck, when we got there, I saw the puddle on the ground and realized it was a puddle of blood. Then opened the door and the floor of the truck, had a pool of blood about 1/2" deep. That was scary, seeing the ground and the floor of the truck, after seeing the operating room floor. The only reason I survived, was David knew enough to keep me alive. He knew I was probably going to go into shock and brought those heavy blankets. I would have thought there is no way, we were going to need three heavy blankets in 100 degree weather. I got a first hand experience of what going into shock is really like and what loosing a lot of blood is like. You get very cold, it's very scary, once you realize why you are so cold.

Had it only been my step father and me, I would have died, there is not much questioning that. What David did, saved my life. What seemed very minor at first, was a long ways from minor. The next two days, I felt like someone had beat me from head to toe with a baseball bat. I ached all over, like I was bruised all over, but I had no bruises or other injuries, other than the knife wound.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-10-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #62
MLAH
Four Point

^
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #63
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

I got a call one afternoon shortly after school (high school) from a good friend of mine. He said, “Hey man, you know where my stand is over off Moore Farm Rd?” I knew where it was, it was a pretty good hike back in the Angelina National Forest too. “I need you to come get me. I’m at the base of my tree waiting.” He was totally calm and not in any sort of panic. I said, “Did you get one? Do I need to bring the game cart or anything?” He said, “No but you need to hurry. If you don’t I might bleed out. Bring some parachute chord.” It’s a 20 min drive from my house and close to that walking in to his stand. I got there as fast as I could. When I got there blood was EVERYWHERE! He had drawn on a doe that was almost directly under him and neither of us are sure exactly what happened, but he tried to shoot her sitting down and the string cut him literally to the femur bone! We doubled up the parachute chord and cut off the blood supply best we could and started the hobbling hike out. He was 16 or 17 and I was 17 or 18 and I have no idea how he or we stayed calm enough to handle the situation. Once we got to the road there was no cell signal until we got to Huntington. We called 911 and told them we were in route. I forget exactly how many stitches it took to close him up but it was over 100. He lost a ton of blood, changed colors several times on the way to the hospital, and was VERY VERY lucky to survive!
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #64
backwoods
Eight Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

^so the broadhead knocked his thigh when he shot?
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #65
TCR²
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

I’ve been fortunate and haven’t had any accidents that resulted in injuries.

Had a couple close calls though. I started bow hunting in 06, was climbing up a white oak with my old Summit. When I hit about the 20’ mark the platform (which wasn’t tethered to the upper) slipped off my feet. Luckily it only fell about 2’ and I was able to lower myself down and pull it up and continue my climb.

Second close call....took my son out one morning with his .257 Roberts. We were easing back toward the truck, my son walking behind me when his gun went off. Scared the shiznit out of me. After I realized what just transpired I got wobbly kneed and had to sit down. My son was in total shock as well. Not sure if he was messing with the safety and the trigger or the safety somehow got switched off and he hit the trigger. Stupid move on my part having him walk behind me with a loaded gun but thankful he did listen to me about making sure the gun is always pointed away from people.

TCR² is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #66
TxRealtorJJ
Spike

Quote:

Geez ... your dad sounds like a real arse!!! Lol!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TxRealtorJJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #67
Buckley99
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRealtorJJ View Post
Geez ... your dad sounds like a real arse!!! Lol!!

Haha!! Hey Dad! Accurate recollection of events, or no?
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #68
TxRealtorJJ
Spike

Quote:
Haha!! Hey Dad! Accurate recollection of events, or no?

Accurate except you failed to mention the fish I was in were really nice fish!

TxRealtorJJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #69
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRealtorJJ View Post
Accurate except you failed to mention the fish I was in were really nice fish!

bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #70
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quail hunting. Shot a bird had the lab ra n through me and I ended up in a sprinters stretch on my back. Cost me 1 knee surgery and the other one will be soon.
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #71
Biggs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Dakota

Some of these are crazy

Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #72
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Got thoroughly smashed by a perturbed bull after retrieving the dog that had been pestering it. This bay dog had not been trash broke yet. Broke two ribs, lots of bruising and a LONG walk back to the truck. Had it not been muddy, I doubt I would have survived it.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #73
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

I got shot in the hand with a bow while spot lighting pigs.
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #74
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Last year while elk hunting. A guy at the same place took a roll down the mountain. Tore his ACL, broke his femur and his ankle. They got a helicopter within 80 yards of him thankfully. It could have been way worse.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #75
ajcarricktx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort hood, any were else I can access

I was a teenager in Michigan and spent one really cold night in the woods. I was bow hunting on a cold rainy day near the end of October. I shot a small buck and hit it a bit back. I started tracking it and jumped it three times. Not knowing any better I kept following it. It would go a few hundred yards and bed. Finally the last time I came up on it I was able to jump on it before it t got up and finished it with my knife. In all the excitement I had lost my bearings and had no clue where I was at in the middle of a giant national forest. So after gutting the deer I decided to walk towards what I thought was a road a few miles from my blind. I could hear an occasional car on the highway I thought. Long story short I was headed the opposite direction dragging a deer through thick cedar swamp. Family and friends came looking for me but I was headed the opposite direction. After a few hours I realized I was no where near where I thought I was and huddled up under a thick cedar to get out of the rain. I was frozen and probably in the verge of hypothermia when the found me shortly after sunrise. Being young and stupid I made some horrible choices that I've since learned from. 1. Let a guy shot deer lay down, 2. Bring some sort of fire starter kit, 3. If you're not sure don't guess on directions. Sit and wait for help, and bring rain gear.

ajcarricktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #76
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

I posted this back in May and while it was not during a hunt, it was hunt related.

I had a Gametamer hung onto a small live oak tree for about 3 years and the tree started to grow around the stand vertical supports, so I decided to remove the stand and relocate it to another tree. I had a heavy-duty 12' ladder with a platform for access to the Gametamer, so I felt all would be safe. Brought my Tractor with front end loader as a work platform to add to the safety factor. Climbed the ladder and stepped onto the tractor bucket and freed one side of the stand. When I stepped from the bucket onto the ladder I did not notice the strap had broken and when my weight was on the ladder, it shifted and out I went. My face met a large yaupon and split both lips open, almost tore my nose, and knocked me out on the way down. The only thing I remember after waking up was being on my hands and knees with blood gushing out my nose and mouth/lips. I called my Wife and told her to get a wet towel and take me to the ER. We live about 5 miles from Sam Rayburn Dam and she drove me 50 miles to the Lufkin ER. The absolute worst part was the Surgeon placing the shots in my face to deaden the wounds, before placing 66 stitched in my lips. Amazingly, I healed quickly for a 67 year old phart and only have minor scaring from the tears to my lips. Also, no bones were broken and the only additional thing was a sprained thumb.

It doesn't matter how safe you try and make things, sometimes fate just happens. I am truly thankful to be alive, as it could have been much worse for me and my family. I give God the glory for keeping me alive.

Doug Key
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #77
CPDeasttexas
Nubbin' Buck

While Hunting in a Ground Blind , I went to adjust my chair when it folded up with me in it cutting off Half of my Middle finger, I threw all of those chairs away and now i use a different style chair that can not fold up on me LOL!!!!
CPDeasttexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #78
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher county

I was climbing down out of a homemade tree stand after an evening hunt. Stepped on the very first 2X4 step and it broke. It was placed between 2 limbs on the tree. I feel backwards 10-12 feet to the ground. I had my bow with quiver full of arrows in my right hand. I remember thinking "get rid of the bow" on the way down, but I just couldn't release my grip on it. I hit the ground flat on my back and on impact the bow and arrows exploded in every direction. I couldn't feel a thing as i laid there. I just knew I had broken my back. It was going to be a long time before anybody would come looking for me. I kept trying to wiggle my toes and finger for the next 10-15 minute all the while thinking that the coyotes would find me before long and my wife would find me half eaten (funny what your mind will conjure up). After a short while I started feeling some pain and tingling in my fingers and toes. Several minutes later I was able to move my fingers and toes and then my arms and legs. I can't tell you the relief i felt that I wasn't paralyzed. Eventually I was able to roll over and stand up. It took me a little while to walk back to my truck. The ride home wasn't pleasant but I did finally make it. I have never been up in a homemade tree stand since.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #79
Softballdad
Four Point

Was using Baling wire to attach a light to my feeder. Lost my balance on the ladder, and reached out to catch myself on the feeder leg. Hand hit where I had just tied on the wire and I shoved the wire through my palm. Lost feeling in two fingers for a day. I also earned a visit to the Dr. for some shots, but no lasting damage.
Softballdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #80
hog_down
Eight Point

Before I had a 4 wheeler, I carried the feed, tripod, and feeder in by hand. Talk about a workout. I was carrying a 55 gallon barrel with the lid attached on top of my shoulders, and got tired, and wanted to take a break. When I let the barrel slide off, it caught the side of my head with the lip of the feeder, and cut me. Never seen that amount of blood shooting out of my head before. Took my shirt off, and wrapped it around my head, and sat on the barrel, trying to figure out what to do. No one knew where I was, and I had a manual transmission truck at the time, so I drove myself to Houston, trying to find a minor emergency clinic on my phone, but no luck. 13 staples later, I have a nice scar.
Attached Images

hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #81
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher county

Close call #2

My BIL and cousin had just put up a new tower blind. They guide wired in down using barbed wire. I decided to hunt it one morning. I had just gotten glasses for the first time so I wanted to hunt that particular blind so i could see a long ways and try out the new eyeglasses. I remember having a good hunt seeing several young buck and being able to see everything pretty clear. I climbed down and had just started walking away when i hit one of those guide wires. It knocked my head back and my new glasses went flying off. As i reached down to pick them up I felt a little blood starting to trickle down my face. Picking up the glasses I could see a scratch across the lens. The barded wire cut me right above the eyebrow, went across the lens and then cut a 2 inch small cut on my cheek. I am sure if I hadn't had those glasses on I would be blind in my right eye now. God has saved me several time in my life. Thank you Lord !!
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #82
cactusassjohn
Four Point

Hunt In: nebraska/texas/south dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
I pulled a tree limb off a mesquite tree one time. It snapped at the right moment and I fell face and neck into a mess of cactus. I murdered about 8 beers in 5 minutes after that. My buddy laughed till he had tears coming out his eyes as he plucked every cactus needle out of me. I still don’t see what was so funny! Haha
i sat on a cactus once
cactusassjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #83
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Shot a doe down by Benevidez and quartered it up. I realized I hadn't tagged it yet so I get the tag and take my knife to punch a hole it her ear. I'm holding the ear with my left hand and when the knife finally punched thru the cartilage I cut the last section of my first finger to the bone. The guy I hunted with said I needed to go to the hospital. Blood was shooting out like in the movies. I grabbed some paper towels and blue masking tape and slept that night with my hand tied up above my heart. No feeling to this day in that finger tip.

Filling feeder off the top of a cooler in the back of my four wheel drive Titan. Pivot and fall straight off the back of the truck onto the big clods the hogs make under the feeder while holding a 50lb bag of milo. Landed on my back with the milo on my chest. When I woke up I could hardly breathe or move. My back hurt for weeks.

$#it happens quick.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #84
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

My bow exploded and I took 55 stitches to the head. That was an event.
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #85
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Had a 10 ft. tripod tip over. Fell flat on my .44 mag in a shoulder holster, broke 3 ribs. Still don't know how it tipped over. It was in pine straw.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #86
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.

Slipped climbing up into a stand and fell out of the oak, landed on my head. No noticeable damage! Dusted my self off and climbed back up.
Wudstix is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #87
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt View Post
Shot a doe down by Benevidez and quartered it up. I realized I hadn't tagged it yet so I get the tag and take my knife to punch a hole it her ear. I'm holding the ear with my left hand and when the knife finally punched thru the cartilage I cut the last section of my first finger to the bone. The guy I hunted with said I needed to go to the hospital. Blood was shooting out like in the movies. I grabbed some paper towels and blue masking tape and slept that night with my hand tied up above my heart. No feeling to this day in that finger tip.
Have done this a couple of times. Not as bad as yours, but cut it pretty good. I guess I will learn one of these days.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #88
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

a PH in Namibia I know shot himself in the quad accidentally with a 30-06. He's lucky he can still walk, missing about 40% of his quad muscle now
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #89
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexOddball View Post
Out at the ranch by myself, I was filling feeders, using a rickety homemade wooden ladder, just 2x4s nailed together, leaned against the barrel. Shifting my weight around lifting a bag of corn, the ladder “accordianed” together, pinching my right foot, and the whole scene fell to the ground. Knocked the feeder over, the slinger broke loose, bent the barrel, and broke two bones in my right foot. Spent the rest of hunting season with a big orthopedic boot and crutches, but apparently my karma was on a good swing, because I ended up taking my biggest buck yet from that same stand just a few weeks later.
Good thing that happened a long time ago. Today that might have taken your leg off with bacteria.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #90
TxSon1836
Spike

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes122984 View Post
many years ago before everyone had cell phones and we all carried walkie talkies at the lease, i had a bad 4 wheeler accident. We all drove out for the evening hunt and i was going to sit in this blind on a cross fence that had a wasp problem. I took a can of spray and drove up under the blind to spray some nest. I left it running and it was in reverse. I leaned forward i guess and my leg hit the throttle. 4 wheeler had the front wheels turned and before i could get hold of it it flipped me over and pinned me between the barbwire fence and the ground.
It was opening day of rifle. I broke my left arm. I radio for help for like 3-4 hours with no response. Somehow muster up enough strength to lift it off me and ride back to camp with one arm. I get there and see dad has already made it back and i immediately lay into him about not answering the radio. He turned it off to avoid spooking any deer.

This was my very first year to have a lease and really start deer hunting, i was not about to leave on opening weekend. Made a camp stint that allowed me to somewhat brace my rifle up and went back to hunting. Went to hospital first thing monday.

BILLY BAD @$$ alert!!!!!
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #91
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I was climbing down off a 16’ tripod at night after pig hunting last year...I had driven a t-post in the ground next to one of the legs and wired them together for added stability...anyway, I lost my footing and dropped straight down to the ground barely missing the t-post. It caught my jacket but luckily not me! That thing coulda went straight up my butt! Thankfully I only fell about 6 feet off the ground.

Skinny
I know of a man that died from falling off of his tower blind onto a t-post. He impaled himself through the abdomen and was able to get himself off the t-post, but he bleed to death in the back of the truck waiting for CareFlight. This happened in the Abilene TX area several years ago.
The people at the lease thought he was spaying wasps and lost his footing or they stung him and he jumped. I do not think they know for sure what happened?

So yea no t-post or saplings cut at an angle around your blinds. It is a bad accident waiting to happen!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #92
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Wasn't really an accident but year before last I started having abdominal pain on the way to the lease out around Abilene but I kept driving. By the time I got to the lease(360 miles from my driveway) I was doubled over. Took a bunch of Advil and tried to sleep. About daylight with no sleep I got back into my truck and headed home 360 miles except I drove straight into Grapevine hospital. Acute appendicitis it was and had already began to rupture. They operated on me within the hour. Doctor told me that 4 to 6 more hours I would have been a goner had I not made it out when I did. Let me tell you, I would rather give birth I think than suffer thru that again.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #93
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places
Default Broadhead rough sharp

My son walked into my leg stalking.

This rattler was ready to nail me and I was walking without a light turned my headlamp on at exactly the right time, thank you Lord
Attached Images

cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #94
ON THE EDGE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Banquete, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
The worst accident that actually did happen when I was about 14. I had shot a javelina and was in the process of gutting the thing. The knife I had was extremely sharp. The knife was slicing through the javelina like a razor cutting paper. But then I went to cut between it's back legs, I pulled the hide away from the animal and tried to gently slice through the hide, but the knife was not cutting. I finally just whipped the knife, just used my wrist, to flick the knife. In an attempt to cut the hide. Well the knife went through the hide easily. I then saw there was a thin piece of cartilage, that I had pulled up with the hide, so I was trying to cut through the cartilage and the hide at the same time.

Well when I flicked the knife and it easily cut through the hide and cartilage, I felt a thump on the inside of my left leg. The guy who was standing there watching me, got this look on his face, like that's not good. My response was, yes, that could have been bad. He said no it is bad, I thought what is he talking about. I looked down and at first saw a hole in my jeans, then realized there was a deep hole in my leg. As I was looking down in the deep hole in my leg, it suddenly filled up with blood and overflowed all over the place. There was quickly blood all over my jeans and the ground. I tried to get up, but I quickly found I had cut a muscle in the front of my leg. Trying to stand up hurt like hell. I stood up, then limped around bleeding all over the place. David, said I needed to go to the hospital, but I did not want to go. He later made a comment about being a vet, he doctored up all of the FFA animals for the kids in his daughter's school. He said he stitched up sheep and hogs all the time. So I asked him to stitch up my leg, he looked at it again and said no. That I needed to go to the hospital.

We were south of Falfurrias, it was over 100 degrees that day. We went back to camp, looked for first aid supplies and then David found about three heavy blankets. I was not paying any attention to him at the time. As we were walking to the truck, everything went black, I tried to yell out, that I could not see. But nothing came out, then I could feel myself falling face forwards, towards the ground. I never felt myself hit the ground.

A while later, I realized I was in my truck, when they started the truck, the air blowing out of the vents, had to have been extremely hot, because it was a black truck that had been in the sun most of the day and it was over 100 degrees that day. But the air felt like I was up in the artic and the air was something like -40 and a 50 mph wind blowing.
Basically very hot air, felt extremely cold. So they shut off the A/C, David started wrapping me up in the heavy blankets he brought from the camp house. Even with three heavy blankets on me, in a black truck in 100 plus degree heat, I was so cold, I was shaking and my teeth were chattering to the point, I was sure my teeth were going to be chipped up or broken, if I survived. I tried to stop shivering and chattering my teeth, but it was way beyond my control.

I lost consciousness again, until a good while later, when we got to the hospital. As we pulled into the hospital parking lot, I could hear liquid sloshing around on the floor of the truck. My thought was, I am going to have a nasty mess to clean up, someone kicked over my 44 oz. Dr. Pepper. When we stopped in the parking lot and opened the right side door, I could hear liquid pouring out on the ground. Again, my thought was, there sure is a lot of soda on the floor of the truck, it's going to be one serious mess to clean up later.

We got into the ER, the took me to a operating room, put me on a table. The doctor asked what happened, I told him. He said, you are lucky you did not cut the artery in your leg, you would not be here, you would be dead. I told him, I think I did cut the artery, he said that was not possible. Then the doctor gave me multiple locals around the wound. Then started digging his finger around in the wound. That was a very strange, uncomfortable feeling. A very dull pain, just very uncomfortable. Eventually he decided he had all of the clotted blood out of the wound. Then stitched up the muscle and then closed the wound up. Then the blood started flowing again. He kept trying to wipe it up, but it kept flowing. So he cut all of the stitches and went back in. Cut the stitches inside, looked around again, added some more stitches to the muscle, then restitched the outside again. Again, the blood started flowing. So he went back in my leg a third time. Cut the stitches down inside my leg, the mopped up some more blood, started digging around, kept looking and eventually his eyes got very big. When I saw that, I said. I told you I cut the artery, I don't think it's cut all the way through, but it's cut. He gave me a look like you are lucky to be alive. He did not say anything, just went to work stitching up the artery, then the muscle and then stitched up the skin again. That time the blood finally stopped flowing.

When I finally got up to leave, the whole operating room floor was covered with bloody foot prints. I had bled all over the floor and they had been walking around in it. My step father had to leave, I figured out why he left the room at that point.

Later we went back out to the truck, when we got there, I saw the puddle on the ground and realized it was a puddle of blood. Then opened the door and the floor of the truck, had a pool of blood about 1/2" deep. That was scary, seeing the ground and the floor of the truck, after seeing the operating room floor. The only reason I survived, was David knew enough to keep me alive. He knew I was probably going to go into shock and brought those heavy blankets. I would have thought there is no way, we were going to need three heavy blankets in 100 degree weather. I got a first hand experience of what going into shock is really like and what loosing a lot of blood is like. You get very cold, it's very scary, once you realize why you are so cold.

Had it only been my step father and me, I would have died, there is not much questioning that. What David did, saved my life. What seemed very minor at first, was a long ways from minor. The next two days, I felt like someone had beat me from head to toe with a baseball bat. I ached all over, like I was bruised all over, but I had no bruises or other injuries, other than the knife wound.
Out of curiosity, did y’all wrap or tourniquet the wound site?
ON THE EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #95
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I was at a customer's ranch and a buddy came up out of a creek bed on a 4-wheeler and rolled it. He got hung on it and it rolled over him. He died about 20 minutes later there on the ground. I drove his 4 wheeler back to camp that day. It was an awful awful event. Be careful on 4-wheelers guys and gals.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #96
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Was dragging a hog out of the brush/cactus one night with 2 others. Two of us pulling and one with a light in one hand and a scotch in the other. The light guy was walking backwards using the light to show us the way when he tripped and fell into a pear patch. Funny the next day seeing him bent across the table in his BVDs with the rancher's squeeze pulling the thorns out.

I was in my tripod clearing shooting lanes with a pole saw late one summer. Got all finished, collapsed the pole saw pole, wrapped the rope around it and threw it like a spear at the ground. What I forgot was that curved blade---hit me on the jawbone below my ear and cut a good gash and stunned me. I realized something warm was running down my face and dripping on the tripod--took off my dirty sweaty t-shirt and held it against my jaw, climbed down, walked about 150 yds to the truck and couldn't decide if I wanted to pull the t-shirt away and look, but I did. Wasn't as bad as I expected and the Army advice nurse said it wasn't bad enough to go to the ER for stitches since it didn't threaten my eyesight and the bleeding had stopped. So, cleaned it up, closed it with little band-aids and it healed up just fine.

Last edited by dustoffer; 02-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #97
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

It wasn't technically during the hunt, but one night while building a campfire, I put a dried branch up on a rock to break it in half by jumping on it. It snapped very suddenly and came flipping up and broke my nose.

I was a teenager and it hurt like hell, but I never got it checked out. About a month later, a clot or scab or something deep inside my nose where the thing smashed me ruptured and all this black blood started pouring out. Had no idea what was going on, but it relieved a lot of pressure and I actually felt much better afterwards.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #98
SaintBlaise
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtnorris View Post
My bow exploded and I took 55 stitches to the head. That was an event.
Sounds like you could take legal action. Did you?
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #99
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

My dad decided to let a chainsaw eat on his leg when out trimming by himself. Got lucky could have been bad. He's had a stroke and doesn't let his lack of coordination slow him down on anything. Tied it up and drove himself to the hospital (people including family were on the property) never said a word to anybody. Just drove on by and out the gate. he's stubborn. Ended up with alot of stitches. Nephew ended up in the hospital a few days after crashing 4 wheeler pretty good
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #100
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

There's a class called

STOP THE BLEED

separated it hoping someone will remember it and take it
its offered for free. It's put on completely free by ems, nurses, docs etc usually.
It was developed after the school shootings due to the fact plenty of people died that would have been saved if someone knew how to stop a bleed unfortunately.

Most will give you free stuff like a proper turnequit etc. Even if not you'll know how to do some things properly. I'd recommend looking them up. It could save someone's life
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top