Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #101
ladybluearm
Eight Point

Not a good idea for Fayette County, where I hunt, small acreage, and small acreage on 3 sides it will be no good. I can see a real decline in deer if this happens. Will be back like it was before the antler restriction was put in force. I hope it doesn't happen.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #102
Deerguy
Eight Point

The whole point of doing it is to see a decline in the number of deer. I'm all for it. There are too many now, especially does. Areas that don't have many deer now are simply the areas that don't have quality habitat to support higher numbers.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #103
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Doe season should last all season.

If you don't cull the doe, nature will.
This!!!

I wish people around me would kill more does, the does are killing me at my protein feeder! I do think there should be a limit on small property though. There is a lot of places that are 20 acres around me and they don't need to kill 3 or 4 does. I think there should be a limit on how many you should kill depending on your acres, but also think it should go all season or up to a certain point anyways!!!!
DEADEYE1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #104
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
What did they say was the hold capacity of Colorado county?

They said for Lavaca is 1 per 20acres. That seems crazy to me.
I have 127 acres in Colorado county and I have had 25 does at 2 different spots on my place at 1 time and my neighbor behind me will send me a picture with another 10 or 12! We have way too many does in my area! Of course I plane and protein feed also so there is a reason I may have more than most. They will eat 1700lbs of protein in 20 days during the summer
DEADEYE1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #105
barnett77859
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elliott

I don't agree with a over all doe hunt I like seeing deer when I hunt even if it is doe
I remember a time that deer were hard to see but that's changed now and I see deer almost ever hunt which is a good thing. I do agree some places hold high deer numbers to me that a good thing. I figure if the land owners got doe permits to use as needed it would give the land owner more control over the deer herds
barnett77859 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #106
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Some of the people with new ranchettes don't like this deal and if it doesn't go through that's one of the reasons why. Too many deer for carrying capacity is not a good thing either...
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #107
Red Man
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction/ Columbus/Shelby/Clinton,Mo

If more people would join the co-op and do a little bit of work, like surveys, more does would be killed. I am a Colorado County co-op and get doe tags from the state. I could still hunt does now if I wanted. I have been told that if I needed more tags, the biologist could come out and issue more if justified.

Hopefully the 24 hour reporting will keep the killing to a minimum.
Red Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #108
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Join a coop. Do your deer survey and get doe tags. That's the way it needs to be done. All areas do not have the same doe numbers but small small place with meat hunters will hammer them.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #109
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Wish they would stop.Where we own land in Brown county we don't see many deer period.
Ilik2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #110
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

First of all, you guy that have "too many" does on your place just give me a call. Have bow will travel.
I can see this working in certain areas but my fear is that too many deer will be taken. You'd almost have to go area by area not county by county.It's been a loooong time since I was on a lease that actually had too many deer on it. Nice problem to have .
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #111
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakm View Post
First of all, you guy that have "too many" does on your place just give me a call. Have bow will travel.
I can see this working in certain areas but my fear is that too many deer will be taken. You'd almost have to go area by area not county by county.It's been a loooong time since I was on a lease that actually had too many deer on it. Nice problem to have .
Agreed. I'd like to see them let kids shoot one and I'd like to see them manage it through permits.

Where can we comment on this to TPWD?
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #112
ladybluearm
Eight Point

That would be great if it were the kids shooting, but that’s very seldom the case. I agree to the area to area. My area does not have enough to take the extra does.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #113
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Join a coop. Do your deer survey and get doe tags. That's the way it needs to be done. All areas do not have the same doe numbers but small small place with meat hunters will hammer them.
Not everyone's situation is the same. I own 3 small small places. All are bordered by large nonhunting properties. The last thing I want to do is involve some coop in the middle of my business. I've had 26 does at the feeder at one time. How many tags would they allow for that 13 acres? Sharing info with some coop would result in everybody and their uncle horning in on me in less than one season. I'll just keep letting whoever I want meat hunt whatever I think the property will support and the laws will allow.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #114
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see them let kids shoot one and I'd like to see them manage it through permits.

Where can we comment on this to TPWD?
Post #59 has a link and there is a list of the public scoping meetings for public comment. If the meeting has already passed for your area they will bd taking public comment online sometime after the March tpwd commission meeting before the hunting rules changes are ratified in the summer.
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top