Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #1401
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Today is day 3 for me so reading through this thread has given me the inspiration to go for the Keto lifestyle change. Some of you may remember that I lost 110 lbs back in 2013...went from 282 down to 172 through MFP & calorie counting over 10 months. Well...I've been around that weight for the last 5 years and I've been diligent in maintaining an active lifestyle and keeping the weight off. I'm 10 lbs up over that ending weight so I'm sitting at 185. I'm much stronger than I was when I ended the diet but I've never been happy with my physique...still have a lot of loose skin and I've heard a good fat cut can help with this.

So here I am...day 3. Macro goals are 30g carbs max, 160 g protein and the rest fat. I'm a small guy @ 5'7" so my maintenance calories are right around 2000/day (about 2200-2300 when working out). I will be doing a weight cut for the first month or two so my initial calorie limit is 1500/day. Once I get back down below 170 I'll bump my calories but maintain carb limit to continue to cut. Thoughts?

I went full bore when I started(<20G carb) and got the keto flu. I remember looking myself in the mirror, miserable, and forcing myself to push through. I'd recommend getting some potassium and magnesium supplements and make sure to take in plenty of salt and water to help you "transition".

You got this!
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #1402
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
60lb mark today at just over a year on keto. 30 or 40lbs to go I think. Gonna require another complete wardrobe change in another 20lbs I think.

Richís fasting thread really got me moving again. Doing extended IF now of at least 48hrs and it just shreds the fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard that there are really good benefits from a 48 hour fasting.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #1403
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

I have transitioned into more of a overall Keto eating style, rather than a specific weight loss diet. My goal weight was 188. I have pushed it now to 185. I might try to jump start it again with the fasting or starting to ruck again but been working too many hours lately. Almost cut my thumb off back on August 29th and that has messed with my diet and the weight training I was doing. I am stuck at 191-193 now for about 3 weeks, I fluctuate up to 2-3 lbs a day. Been cheating on the carbs a little too much. Sure want to hit my goal weight but just can't seem to make it a priority right now.

Best wishes for continued success to you all.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #1404
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
I have been stalled for about a month now. Actually shocked that I have maintained my weight with as many cheat days as I have had. (fall weather triggers massive craft beer consumption) Sometimes it just takes time to let the body adjust and also find the mental strength for weight loss I guess. Business travel and too many Astros games have really given me way to many excuses. Now 15 hours in to a 48+ hour fast to get back on track this week.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #1405
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

I started the diet back in June. 275lbs when I started and I’m down 50lbs in 4 months to 225. Up until a couple weeks ago, this has been the easiest diet I’ve ever tried. I’m now starting to, not really crave, but want to increase my carb intake. It is challenging my willpower. Anyone else experience this?
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #1406
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
I started the diet back in June. 275lbs when I started and Iím down 50lbs in 4 months to 225. Up until a couple weeks ago, this has been the easiest diet Iíve ever tried. Iím now starting to, not really crave, but want to increase my carb intake. It is challenging my willpower. Anyone else experience this?

I found that sugar intake starts my cravings for sugar. I took a week off and cane back and was miserable. Back at it now. Trying to get back into ketosis.

Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #1407
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Still holding it steady at 145-148lbs

I am still loving keto.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #1408
PL Hunter
Spike

Iíve been on Keto for about 4 months and have another 10 lbs to go. Beginning to think about the next phase. For those of you that have hit your goal weight, what did you transition to or did you just stay on Keto and up your calories? What has or hasnít worked for you all?
PL Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 AM   #1409
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL Hunter View Post
Iíve been on Keto for about 4 months and have another 10 lbs to go. Beginning to think about the next phase. For those of you that have hit your goal weight, what did you transition to or did you just stay on Keto and up your calories? What has or hasnít worked for you all?
I'm interested in that answer as well as to what a person on Keto does when they get to their goal weight.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #1410
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I'm interested in that answer as well as to what a person on Keto does when they get to their goal weight.
To me, you would slowly add in carbohydrates and up the weights to put on some muscle.. go back into a caloric surplus and hit the weights hard. Over time, you will add on a little body fat because of the caloric surplus, albeit. Bulk for a while until you hit a goal and then start over on the keto to cut the body fat again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #1411
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL Hunter View Post

I stayed on keto. I upped calories and carbs a little. I feel so much better when eating keto style. I had Type 2 diabetes and got off the medicine, by eating keto.
bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #1412
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking!

Quote:
I dont think I could make a 48 hr fast.......did a 24 hr and was ready to eat a frozen cat by the time I got home from work!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #1413
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I dont think I could make a 48 hr fast.......did a 24 hr and was ready to eat a frozen cat by the time I got home from work!

Lol, I can make it 12 hours as long as Iím asleep.
Iíll try to find that article again but from what I remember, once your body finishes up with the toxins that we put in our body it has time to fight cells that cause serious illnesses such as cancer. I read it on the internet therefore itís gotta be true.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #1414
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Iíve been on the Keto for about a month and a half. Not sure Iíve lost a ton of weight but my belly and waist line are smaller which is alright with me.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #1415
PL Hunter
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
I stayed on keto. I upped calories and carbs a little. I feel so much better when eating keto style. I had Type 2 diabetes and got off the medicine, by eating keto.

The steady energy I have all day has been nice vs the highs and lows I used to have. Iím thinking about increasing carbs from 20 to 45 - 50 and seeing how it goes. If I kick my body out of ketosis and am still consuming so much fat I donít know what will happen. How much did you increase your carbs?

PL Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #1416
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I've been keto'ing it for year & a half. Dropped alot early on, then plateaued. Now it is more of a lifestyle for me. When I eat too many carbs...my body lets me know.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #1417
Rescue1
Eight Point

any updates from those that are still on it? i started last week. pee strips say im doing ok. shed a bunch of water weight, fast!. using some supplements to help with minerals.

only real side effect i've noticed is the amount of water im drinking. close to a gallon a day. just thirsty a lot. but otherwise no keto flu. oh and being a little plugged up. but im sure that has something to do with all the cheese

just want to keep this thread alive for motivation
Rescue1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #1418
TexaRican
Pope & Young

18 months in for me with some roller coaster recently. By Sept I was down almost 65lbs but I totally blew it from Thanksgiving on. Back on track now and expect to drop the 10 I gained plus another 20 this year.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #1419
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

Started at the beginning of January this year. So far I’m down 11 lbs but the weight is starting to come off a little quicker now. The biggest difference for me has been the way I feel in the mornings when I wake up and when I get home. No more bloated feeling and a lot more energy.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #1420
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
any updates from those that are still on it? i started last week. pee strips say im doing ok. shed a bunch of water weight, fast!. using some supplements to help with minerals.

only real side effect i've noticed is the amount of water im drinking. close to a gallon a day. just thirsty a lot. but otherwise no keto flu. oh and being a little plugged up. but im sure that has something to do with all the cheese

just want to keep this thread alive for motivation

I have been on it a couple years. I am in maintenance. I just maintain my weight. I have so much more energy in my body feel so much better when I eat this way

A wise manís heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
Ecclesiastes 10:2
bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #1421
DZM
Six Point

Hunt In: Jones & Jack County

Been on keto since end of July, down 40 lbs, at my goal weight now, i still eat mostly keto but up carbs from time to time. I mix Nuun (academy has em, or Amazon) tablets with leCriox water or topochico, tastes good and adds electrolytes u need. If u want a Dr Pepper type drink or cream soda, zevia drinks are pretty good, I get them at Sprouts. For sweets, choc-zero chocolate bars with almonds are awesome.
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 AM   #1422
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Back on it now... Will be starting strength and cardio training up soon. Goal is to get leaner and stronger. At 196ish now goal is 180-185ish.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 AM   #1423
hully1029
Pope & Young

been doing it again for a couple weeks.. this is my second run.. starting to see the water weight drop..

be sure and get plenty of sodium, magnesium, potassium. put pink Himalayan salt on everything. eat 1 avocado a day. take 1 magnesium pill a day and youre set. could add some psyllum husk powder as well to stay regular.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 AM   #1424
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Back on Keto, finally, after the holidays. Had a couple days I blew out my macros and itís taking a while to get back in. Iím in the middle of working 3 straight weeks, so often times my only source of food has been an airport terminal or a hotel ďrestaurantĒ if you want to call some hotel places actual restaurants.
I probably should have started all this when I was home more frequently and able to control my available food sources better.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM   #1425
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Down 18 lbs in about a month. By far the easiest diet Iíve ever tried.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #1426
hully1029
Pope & Young

Down 10# in just under 2 weeks.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #1427
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
So I've hit the fasting thing pretty hard... I can consistently do a 5 day with no problem.

Here is the deal, the HARDEST days are day 1 and two... I PROMISE. So when you do IM fasting, you are doing the hardest part,OVER and OVER.

you will never be hungrier than day 2 when your wife cooks and you smell it.

Also, like keto adaptation, your mind has to adapt to NOT eating. You are STRONGLY conditioned to eat 3 times a day... And you have to retrain your brain to accept that... Took me about 3 longer fast to really not fight it so hard.

I'm really thinking next year I may try a full 40 day lent fast... Do bone broth at night but give up all solid food.

FYI I do keto with my wife when NOT fasting.... She is type 1 diabetic and it has already helped her A1C.

Bar none my biggest temptation is Mexican food... Chips and hot sauce test me

Last edited by catslayer; 01-29-2019 at 09:16 AM.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #1428
huntinandfishin
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
The wife and I are starting today, and I was checking to see if anyone else was on it, maybe get some good recipes or pointers.

For those of you that don't know what a ketogenic diet is,
It is designed to break your body's use of glucose and suppress insulin production. This causes your body to live off of ketones instead of glucose, and ketones are pulled directly from fat.
Supposed to end up with longer lasting energy, body fat reduction, and fewer cravings throughout the day.

The diet is typically structured about
70% fat
25% protein
5% carbs

Supposedly the first few weeks are a little rough to get through as your body weans itself off of living from blood sugar, but after that it is supposed to be pretty easy as diets go.

I'm 172.8 today, and goal is 155. Not doing it quickly, just ending up there at some point.

Keto is just another program that allows you to minimize calorie intake throughout the day. If it works for you, then great! But science is science, if you burn more calories (your TDEE) throughout the day than you take in, you will lose weight!

Good luck!
huntinandfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #1429
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Guys do your research and be careful. Co-worker went on a Keto low carb diet. Started working out hard. Don’t know what it’s called but he is in hospital with some organs not doing well because of it. Has to do with lack of carbohydrates to properly fuel the motor so parts of motor stop working. If you don’t feel good to ER
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #1430
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Guys do your research and be careful. Co-worker went on a Keto low carb diet. Started working out hard. Donít know what itís called but he is in hospital with some organs not doing well because of it. Has to do with lack of carbohydrates to properly fuel the motor so parts of motor stop working. If you donít feel good to ER

Thanks for the heads up. Hope he gets better.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #1431
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Does anyone have a carb-free protein shake recipe that yall like?
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #1432
hully1029
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post
Does anyone have a carb-free protein shake recipe that yall like?
If you want to purchase, I HIGHLY recommend Keto-Meal from AmericanMetabolix. Take note, its NOT a protein shake, it's a meal replacement. Its expensive as most meal replacements are.. the blueberry cheesecake is to die for tho..

If wanting to make on own, just youtube some recipes.. its loaded

Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #1433
DM3
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Woodsboro

I agree I drink the Keto-Meal vanilla cake for breakfast after I have my bullet proof coffee. Good tasting and suppresses my hunger all day.
DM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #1434
hully1029
Pope & Young

Down 20#.

Weighed in this morning at 218. Goal is 205 and see how I look/feel and go from there. I'm short-ish (just shy on 5'10), but stocky.. I put on weight real easy and have a slow metabolism, so its rough.

Been doing keto off and on for a while, but really got in gear second week of January. Only started using intermittent fasting the last couple weeks on a 16/8.

Throwing in cardio 4x a week along with heavy weights.. I will say, my strength has suffered a little.. but my joints feel better from all the fats I'm taking in.

Before my triglycerides were roughly 350 and going to get them tested again at the end of February.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #1435
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3 View Post
I agree I drink the Keto-Meal vanilla cake for breakfast after I have my bullet proof coffee. Good tasting and suppresses my hunger all day.

Any tricks for making the bullet proof coffee potable?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #1436
lab man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan

Quote:
Any tricks for making the bullet proof coffee potable?
Potable? Use potable water

Portable? Get a small drink mixer to mix everything back up before you drink it. You can also find single serving packs of MCT oil and powdered creamer/butter if you want to make it on the go.
lab man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #1437
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
Potable? Use potable water

Portable? Get a small drink mixer to mix everything back up before you drink it. You can also find single serving packs of MCT oil and powdered creamer/butter if you want to make it on the go.

Lol, Iíll try mixing it better but man, itís hard to swallow. It almost taste like buttery...coffee
Iíve heard of using coconut oil, wonder if they were referring to the MCT oils from coconut oil?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #1438
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Guys do your research and be careful. Co-worker went on a Keto low carb diet. Started working out hard. Donít know what itís called but he is in hospital with some organs not doing well because of it. Has to do with lack of carbohydrates to properly fuel the motor so parts of motor stop working. If you donít feel good to ER
curious how this turned out. Did they determine the exact cause?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #1439
F1addict
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Looking for a lease in central Texas

Quote:
Lol, Iíll try mixing it better but man, itís hard to swallow. It almost taste like buttery...coffee
Iíve heard of using coconut oil, wonder if they were referring to the MCT oils from coconut oil?

At home I use an immersion blender for 20 seconds. I bought a portable / battery powered version that works on the go.

I use unsalted butter, it tastes better in my opinion.

F1addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #1440
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Been doing my keto coffee with kerrygold butter, MCT oil, 1/2 teaspoon of pure cacao, pinch of pink salt and a squirt of stevia. I just use a shaker bottle like for protein shakes.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #1441
hully1029
Pope & Young

i try to break my 16-18hr fast with food instead of a drink. but with my supper, ill have a bulletproof coffee like this: 8oz decaf coffee, 1tbsp kerrygold butter, 1tbsp coconut oil, some liquid stevia drops.. put that in my little ninja blender... geezz man, its good.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #1442
DZM
Six Point

Hunt In: Jones & Jack County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
Been doing my keto coffee with kerrygold butter, MCT oil, 1/2 teaspoon of pure cacao, pinch of pink salt and a squirt of stevia. I just use a shaker bottle like for protein shakes.
Exactly how I make mine, sometimes I add a little heavy cream too
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #1443
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Dang I'm struggling with a plateau. Been within a few pounds of the same weight for all of 2019. I'm 22 hours into a planned 48 hour fast right now and 3 days removed from any alcohol so I hope that will bust it. Got a good workout this morning but my body sure has been resistant since the holiday gluttony.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #1444
F1addict
Nubbin' Buck

Youíre doing the right thing. A fast is the best way to do it.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #1445
popeandyoung151
Eight Point

Hunt In: Vernon, TX

I started Keto at the beginning of this year. Down 15# and at 215. Goal was 210 but I may try and get to 205. I feel a lot better and can honestly say this has been a fairly easy diet. Good job to everyone!
popeandyoung151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #1446
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1addict View Post
Youíre doing the right thing. A fast is the best way to do it.

Fast busted it - big drop this morning and I was in the gym again at 5:45. That is the way I lost 60lbs between July 2017 and thanksgiving 2018. I would stall, stall, stall then drop 3-4lbs at one time.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #1447
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Is it still considered fasting if your drinking bourbon and diet 7up? Asking for a friend

Old 02-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #1448
F1addict
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Is it still considered fasting if your drinking bourbon and diet 7up? Asking for a friend

I wish! That would be awesome!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #1449
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Day 3 on Keto and **** this Keto Hangover headache is kicking my *****.... Been drinking tons of water and pickle juice and still hammering me. How long does it last and any tips to get rid of it?

TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #1450
HubCityThumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry County, sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBRASS View Post
Day 3 on Keto and **** this Keto Hangover headache is kicking my *****.... Been drinking tons of water and pickle juice and still hammering me. How long does it last and any tips to get rid of it?

Power through. Only advice I can give with water and pickle juice.

Stick with it. Ive lost 15 lbs in 3.5 weeks. Unbelievable. I feel myself getting smaller. I feel great, btw.
HubCityThumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top