Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
44mAG
Ten Point

Default Which 300 Win Mag Factory Ammo for Elk?

I am trying to decide between the following three factory ammo for an Elk hunt this fall. Shots will be 500 yds or closer at an elevation of around 8000 ft. I know the correct answer is whichever one shoots best out of my rifle, but let's say everything shoots well. I am more interested in terminal performance than shooting 1" groups.

1. Nosler Trophy Grade 200 gr partition
2. Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr Accubond
3. Federal Premium Vital-Shok with 180 gr Partitions

Thanks!
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I've not killed an elk, but my rifle likes the 180 partitions. The Aoudad I shot at 200 yards did not like them at all. He was DRT.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
docmay
Pope & Young

Nothing wrong with a partition! That being said I have been really impressed with accubonds out of my stepsons 7mm-08. I know it’s not on the list but 180 grain ttsx has been bad medicine out of my 300 wsm for elk, red deer, bison and lots of others. It flies nice as well.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Phdan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
I've not killed an elk, but my rifle likes the 180 partitions. The Aoudad I shot at 200 yards did not like them at all. He was DRT.

Killed elk with 180 partitions
Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Phdan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdan View Post
Killed elk with 180 partitions

Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

All 3 are more than plenty to bring an elk down no problem. I would go with the 180 partitions if I was choosing of the 3.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
Stick1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
I know itís not on the list but 180 grain ttsx has been bad medicine out of my 300 wsm for elk, red deer, bison and lots of others. It flies nice as well.

This is exactly where I'd be looking. We have tested in a bunch of rifles, and seen it used on a lot of critters with great results. It flat out works and is also seems to shoot well consistently out of more rifles than any other factory 300 load we test with.

Funny story about how we stumbled on to the Barnes factory 300WM stuff. We took a hunting weight 300WM to a gunwriter press/demo day a few years ago. The only ammo we had on the shelf for it was a case of barnes 180 TTSX. I didn't worry too much since I figured those guys would be shooting at normal distances, and none would want to spend much time with a light weight 300WM anyway. I honestly didn't think anyone would actually shoot it given all of the other "fun" rifles that were there at their disposal for the day. Those guys ended up fighting over that thing until the ammo ran out. They were consistently banging steel at 1,140 yards with it! Haha
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

There is no wrong answer in that list!
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
44mAG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
This is exactly where I'd be looking. We have tested in a bunch of rifles, and seen it used on a lot of critters with great results. It flat out works and is also seems to shoot well consistently out of more rifles than any other factory 300 load we test with.

Funny story about how we stumbled on to the Barnes factory 300WM stuff. We took a hunting weight 300WM to a gunwriter press/demo day a few years ago. The only ammo we had on the shelf for it was a case of barnes 180 TTSX. I didn't worry too much since I figured those guys would be shooting at normal distances, and none would want to spend much time with a light weight 300WM anyway. I honestly didn't think anyone would actually shoot it given all of the other "fun" rifles that were there at their disposal for the day. Those guys ended up fighting over that thing until the ammo ran out. They were consistently banging steel at 1,140 yards with it! Haha
These are the solid copper bullets correct? Man, the old school in me just has a hard time with no lead! I will research them. Thanks!
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
ATXArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Another vote for the Barnes TTSX. Not only does my rifle love the 180gr Barnes bullets, several of us that hunt together have had great results with them. I haven't shot an elk, but that's what I took to hunt Nilgai with.
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
These are the solid copper bullets correct? Man, the old school in me just has a hard time with no lead! I will research them. Thanks!
I know there are several schools of thought about the best way a bullet should transfer it's energy to the target(lead vs.mono). I think there are merits to both, depending on the critter. I will say those TTSX's have no respect for bone whatsoever, and will plow through a bunch of it before calling it quits!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
Djacker
Nubbin' Buck

I know it's not on your list but I shot a Arizona bull with a Nosler 210 accubond longrange, dropped him in his tracks at 500 yards with my 300 WM. Got a pass through too.
Djacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

#3. 180 grains is plenty.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
RF76
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Accubonds takes my vote.
RF76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #15
catslayer
Pope & Young

The ones it shoots best
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I would go with the 180 gr partition.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

I am a huge barnes fan They just work , My only complaint is that I have some guns that where not as accurate with it as it was with other brands.. With that said see how they group and if they group well enough for your range I would use them over any thing else ..

I have shot moose and Elk with them and even at long ranges it did the job . My longest on large game 735 on a maine Moose . from my 300 RUM . It step forward and went down . Elk I did recover one bullet as I pulled the shot and he was just over 600 on a hill side . I mess up and the Elk was angling more than I thought bullet went in in front of shoulder smashing its way through caught in hide opposite side. Picture perfect 97% weight retention .

I have shot others as well but always like the fact that the barnes opens up and does great job .

Good luck on your choice
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #18
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I tried the Barnes solid copper bullet and the Nosler partitions were far more accurate. I guess it depends on what your rifle likes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
Stick1
Ten Point

One thing we have noticed about the barnes is they won't shoot their best if shooting over fouling left by other bullets. They just don't like copper from traditional jackets. Start with a really clean barrel and give it a couple foulers before you judge how they are going to shoot.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #20
BBRU
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Partitions or Barnes TTSX
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #21
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

#3 of yours.
I use the ttsx myself.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #22
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Any
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 PM   #23
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

I've only shot 1 elk and it was a cow, but 160 gr Nosler accubonds from my 7 mag did the trick. She went maybe 20 yards after the shot. Not too much meat damage with a shoulder shot at a little over 300 yards. Barnes, E-tip, GMX bullets are great for smaller calibers killing big critters under 300-350 yards, but if you think the shot could be further....I'd go with something else. Expansion on those type of bullets need velocity. AT 500 yards the velocity of a 180 gr Barnes TTSX is approx 2000 fps. From my experience, they expand better with a velocity above 2400 fps. Even though Barnes says they will expand down to 1800 fps or so. My 300 win mag is sighted in with 180 gr Nosler Accubonds and if I really thought my shot opportunity would be at longer ranges....I'd use the 200 gr ELD-x. Maybe I'm just a little prejudice against mono-metal bullets, but from what I've experienced, they need high velocity or to hit bone, to perform well.
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post

Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top