Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #6451
Neuse
Eight Point

I am totally lost on Bitcoin.

Why would Bitcoin be worth more than gold?
Has anyone made a purchase with Bitcoin, milk, bread?
Does it have any purchasing power?
How is the value determined? Supply and Demand?

I know, lots of questions.
Neuse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #6452
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Bitcoin is the base crypto currency. Some people believe Crypto's will be used for transactions that will take the place of banks, paper money, title companies, and everything like credit cards. So a real estate transaction for example could take seconds instead of weeks, be safer, and save thousands.

Trillions are spent each year on transactions and money moving. It's really a crazy amount when you step back and look. Almost everything now from little CC purchases, pay-pal, phone bill, anything you pay online has these fees. Stock market alone could be reinvented with blockchain to save hundreds of billions if not trillions in fees.

And yes you can buy plenty of things right now with bitcoin.

It will be really hard to get going though because EVERY world government politician gets rich off of their own FED printing money (in a round about way) Can't print more BTC.

It's basically a fairy tale world that stops inflation and makes things fair. So it will never happen but sounds great. If it does happen it would be regulated to death so the government can still make tons of money. Otherwise they go broke.

How did I do?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #6453
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Yall ready for the ride up after all the tax dumps? I hope everybody stocked up on the sales prices.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #6454
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 74-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Yall ready for the ride up after all the tax dumps? I hope everybody stocked up on the sales prices.
LoL
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #6455
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

[QUOTE=RiverRat1;13853506]Bitcoin is the base crypto currency. Some people believe Crypto's will be used for transactions that will take the place of banks, paper money, title companies, and everything like credit cards. So a real estate transaction for example could take seconds instead of weeks, be safer, and save thousands.

Trillions are spent each year on transactions and money moving. It's really a crazy amount when you step back and look. Almost everything now from little CC purchases, pay-pal, phone bill, anything you pay online has these fees. Stock market alone could be reinvented with blockchain to save hundreds of billions if not trillions in fees.

It will be really hard to get going though because EVERY world government politician gets rich off of their own FED printing money (in a round about way) Can't print more BTC.

It's basically a fairy tale world that stops inflation and makes things fair. So it will never happen but sounds great. If it does happen it would be regulated to death so the government can still make tons of money. Otherwise they go broke.

How did I do?[/QUOTE

My biggest concern with the crypto world, and I never dabbled, was that the world powers that be would never allow themselves to be cut out of the money loop. Theyíll find a way to regulate it or even ruin it altogether.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #6456
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Bitcoin is the base crypto currency. Some people believe Crypto's will be used for transactions that will take the place of banks, paper money, title companies, and everything like credit cards. So a real estate transaction for example could take seconds instead of weeks, be safer, and save thousands.

How did I do?
[/QUOTE]

My biggest concern with the crypto world, and I never dabbled, was that the world powers that be would never allow themselves to be cut out of the money loop. Theyíll find a way to regulate it or even ruin it altogether.[/QUOTE]

I covered that Pretty much every single high power rich person got their money by screwing taxpayers by printing money. No way they just stop it.

ETH is up 65% in the last couple weeks What's going on?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #6457
PL Hunter
Spike

I just looked at it for the first time in a few months. Not sure why, but there was some money to be made in the past few weeks. Everything I (used to) track has jumped.
PL Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 AM   #6458
DanielLee5
Spike

Everyone currently wants to know where Bitcoin is headed. Many early investors made millions now they want to do it again and newcomers want to replicate that big gain that can mint them as millionaires too. There is much speculation as to where that price will go; most think it can only go up. At the moment, there are many predictions about what incredible value Bitcoin will reach in 10 years. But many think in the opposite direction. But I prefer to be optimistic, despite the current instability of the cryptocurrency market.
DanielLee5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #6459
mdb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hallettsville,Victoria,New Hampshire

Has anyone heard of the company Melius, in the bitcoin business?
mdb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #6460
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

All on the rise lately. Any rumors as to why?

Any one here know of any good bitcoin message boards?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #6461
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

And 3 hours later it's down over $300 LOL
Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #6462
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
And 3 hours later it's down over $300 LOL
Still higher than it was 10 days ago, as long as the pattern holds it's looking good. Those big whale dumps sure are scary though.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #6463
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co

I have not looked in months. So ripple is on coinbase now?
Spearchunker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #6464
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchunker View Post
I have not looked in months. So ripple is on coinbase now?
Yessir. And when it was launched it barely created...a ripple.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #6465
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Looks like BTC has finally hit bottom. IMO it's going to take some sort of bad news to tank it back below 3,800 otherwise it should slowly keep rising until FOMO starts setting back in.

I bought GBTC a couple weeks ago. It's a trust fund that only owns BTC It has fees associated with it but trades like a stock so it's simple to buy/sell.

May buy more today.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #6466
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks like BTC has finally hit bottom. IMO it's going to take some sort of bad news to tank it back below 3,800 otherwise it should slowly keep rising until FOMO starts setting back in.

I bought GBTC a couple weeks ago. It's a trust fund that only owns BTC It has fees associated with it but trades like a stock so it's simple to buy/sell.

May buy more today.
What makes you say it's hit bottom? Not saying you're wrong by any means, just curious what factors you're considering here.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #6467
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:

How did I do?

Tim, if cryptocurrency is simply another form of payment/money transfer, how can real estate transactions be reduced to seconds instead of weeks, and how does a form of currency take the place of title companies??? It does not take weeks for money to be transferred in a real estate transaction now; it can be done overnight, and how does it replace title searches and policies??? That makes no sense.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #6468
wes122984
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Tim, if cryptocurrency is simply another form of payment/money transfer, how can real estate transactions be reduced to seconds instead of weeks, and how does a form of currency take the place of title companies??? It does not take weeks for money to be transferred in a real estate transaction now; it can be done overnight, and how does it replace title searches and policies??? That makes no sense.
he meant blockchain and smart contracts. tokens not coins.
wes122984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #6469
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

My biggest concern with the crypto world, and I never dabbled, was that the world powers that be would never allow themselves to be cut out of the money loop. Theyíll find a way to regulate it or even ruin it altogether.[/QUOTE]

I covered that Pretty much every single high power rich person got their money by screwing taxpayers by printing money. No way they just stop it.

ETH is up 65% in the last couple weeks What's going on?[/QUOTE]

This was always my concern as well
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #6470
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes122984 View Post
he meant blockchain and smart contracts. tokens not coins.
Please explain how blockchain and smart contracts eliminate the need for title companies and how they can speed real estate transactions from weeks to seconds.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #6471
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Please explain how blockchain and smart contracts eliminate the need for title companies and how they can speed real estate transactions from weeks to seconds.
I wouldnít say eliminate title companies. Not right away anyways. Blockchain is all about data processing and verification. Many things will move to blockchain tech in very near future. Loans are already being issued and underwritten on it. Do some reading on it and can see all the things smart contracts can replace.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:59 PM   #6472
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wouldnít say eliminate title companies. Not right away anyways. Blockchain is all about data processing and verification. Many things will move to blockchain tech in very near future. Loans are already being issued and underwritten on it. Do some reading on it and can see all the things smart contracts can replace.
Thanks. My point was that the title search still has to be run for real estate sales as well as surveys, etc. That takes time irrespective of the transfer of funds to pay for it.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:20 AM   #6473
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks. My point was that the title search still has to be run for real estate sales as well as surveys, etc. That takes time irrespective of the transfer of funds to pay for it.
Yes. Blockchain is not about the transfer of funds. Go to ethereums website and read up. It is very possible to put title work on the blockchain. Itís a ledger of data that can be nearly instantly verified.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:14 AM   #6474
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes. Blockchain is not about the transfer of funds. Go to ethereums website and read up. It is very possible to put title work on the blockchain. It’s a ledger of data that can be nearly instantly verified.
Okay, gotcha! I found the definition of ethereums.

"In sum, Ethereum is an advancement based on the principle of blockchain that supports bitcoin but with a purpose that does not compete with Bitcoin. ... Currently, the market cap of Ether (ETH) is more than Ripple and Litecoin, although it's far behind Bitcoin (BTC)."

Now I understand it perfectly and understand how that could replace title companies! Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #6475
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Okay, gotcha! I found the definition of ethereums.

"In sum, Ethereum is an advancement based on the principle of blockchain that supports bitcoin but with a purpose that does not compete with Bitcoin. ... Currently, the market cap of Ether (ETH) is more than Ripple and Litecoin, although it's far behind Bitcoin (BTC)."

Now I understand it perfectly and understand how that could replace title companies! Thanks!
It would require the right technical knowledge for you to understand how it could replace title companies. The right website would be start. https://ethereum.org/

There are also many youtube videos that can help illustrate how smart contracts work and their possible uses. Ethereum is just one example.

Maybe this will help.
"Smart contract is just a phrase used to describe a computer code that can facilitate the exchange of money, content, property, shares, or anything of value. When running on the blockchain a smart contract becomes like a self-operating computer program that automatically executes when specific conditions are met. Because smart contracts run on the blockchain, they run exactly as programmed without any possibility of censorship, downtime, fraud or third-party interference."

Or this :
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesr.../#799309bf342a

Last edited by wes122984; 04-01-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #6476
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Thanks for that info and link. I learned something from the Forbes article for sure, but the last paragraph confirmed my thinking:

"Title companies are not like many other intermediaries that very well may face extinction. A title attorney or closer is needed in many different scenarios to complete the transaction. Our roles will change. The industry as a whole will be creative in its adaptation of the utilization of the blockchain, amending our services based on the clientele’s future needs. It is true that the fundamental trust in record keeping may be garnered by the blockchain, but today’s title insurance company is not going anywhere. We will remain necessary and serve in many different capacities. Blockchain will bring great efficiencies, cost reductions and simplicities to our industry, but it will only supplement the hands-on expertise of a title insurance company."
Old 04-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #6477
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:

May buy more today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
What makes you say it's hit bottom? Not saying you're wrong by any means, just curious what factors you're considering here.
Just looking at the chart. And consistent heavier than average buy volume over the last 2 months. And it's dips were less and less.

Was up big today..over 4,800 for a while.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #6478
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

XRiPeace

oh well...maybe someday my grandkids can cash it all in
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #6479
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

I am up almost 200% this year on Litecoin alone. Bought back in in January, at $32/coin, yesterday it hit $99 before settling back in the mid 80's.

Now I wish I would have started with more.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #6480
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I am up almost 200% this year on Litecoin alone. Bought back in in January, at $32/coin, yesterday it hit $99 before settling back in the mid 80's.

Now I wish I would have started with more.
LTC is killing it right now.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #6481
RomSh85
Nubbin' Buck

I believe that Bitcoin was the best thing ever created on the web so far. I don't actually care what other might think about cryptocurrency but for me I will continue to buy bitcoin on Cryptocurrency Exchanges and hold it for a long term investment. So we'll see how it works for us.
RomSh85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #6482
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Wale up people!

BTC and GBTC on fire! BTC 7,800

I'm sure the small ones are too by now.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #6483
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

Glad to see it climbing. My hopes of XRP taking off once it became available on coinbase was a big let down.
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #6484
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Quote:
Wale up people!

BTC and GBTC on fire! BTC 7,800

I'm sure the small ones are too by now.
Iím watching it, just canít seem to make myself jump back into it.
CSanders is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #6485
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I've never sold from the last boom and bust, but I'm way down, hoping for the best...

If I get even I'm selling...
TENRMORE is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #6486
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post

If I get even I'm selling...
This is a very popular sentiment so it's going to be real interesting. Once all these "sell when even" people start hitting their mark it'll obviously create a good bit of resistance. Might could be a good time to sell off and pick back up lower, and once all these marks are hit if there's still upward pressure with no ceiling it could make for a quick run up. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I have two separate stashes from mining, a hold stash and a trade stash. The latter is obvious but not sure if I want to cash the former out at some point and recoup some much needed funds or attempt to increase my holdings when the prices start bouncing.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #6487
JFISHER
Pope & Young

XRP up another 10%

https://coinmarketcap.com/
Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #6488
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
XRP up another 10%

https://coinmarketcap.com/
edit: uuuh... 13.4
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #6489
In-Yo-Grill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waring, TX

Wow...it's really starting to surge again. I wonder where the top will be before it slumps again. I'll be selling soon and getting back in when it hits another bottom again.

It's a waiting game unless you like to gamble on some of the alt coins.
In-Yo-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #6490
In-Yo-Grill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waring, TX

Wow...it's really starting to surge again. I wonder where the top will be before it slumps again. I'll be selling soon and getting back in when it hits another bottom again.

In-Yo-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #6491
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

I bought BTC on 4/21. Doing good. Havenít looked at it in a few weeks. Might keep a closer eye on it now. Lol.

Lambos!!!!
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #6492
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post

I guess you got your 2-factor authenticator fixed?

I need to get with you again about how to sell, re-buy. I wanna dump Tron and move it to XRP.

Then I wanna take a dump on Justin Sunís desk.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #6493
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

IMO these all rallied because it's about to get 100x easier to buy crypto's E-trade is getting in the game for retail traders.

Ask any broker how many phone calls they had each day during the last BTC boom. It was insane. When that FOMO happens again AND it's easy to buy I can see BTC over 100,000
Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #6494
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Long shot... But it's free LOL Like a free lotto ticket. I just signed up to try and figure out what it's about.

Initiative Q is an attempt by ex-PayPal guys to create a new payment system instead of payment cards that were designed in the 1950s. The system uses its own currency, the Q, and to get people to start using the system once it's ready they are allocating Qs for free to people that sign up now (the amount drops as more people join - so better to join early). Signing up is free and they only ask for your name and an email address. There's nothing to lose but if this payment system becomes a world leading payment method your Qs can be worth a lot. If you missed getting bitcoin seven years ago, you wouldn't want to miss this.

Here is my invite link: https://initiativeq.com/invite/4zwJIyN3n

This link will stop working once I’m out of invites. Let me know after you registered, because I need to verify you on my end.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #6495
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

Quote:
Long shot... But it's free LOL Like a free lotto ticket. I just signed up to try and figure out what it's about.

Initiative Q is an attempt by ex-PayPal guys to create a new payment system instead of payment cards that were designed in the 1950s. The system uses its own currency, the Q, and to get people to start using the system once it's ready they are allocating Qs for free to people that sign up now (the amount drops as more people join - so better to join early). Signing up is free and they only ask for your name and an email address. There's nothing to lose but if this payment system becomes a world leading payment method your Qs can be worth a lot. If you missed getting bitcoin seven years ago, you wouldn't want to miss this.

This link will stop working once Iím out of invites. Let me know after you registered, because I need to verify you on my end.
I'll try it.
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #6496
Rebelaggie
Four Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county, Texas & Nebraska

Quote:

This link will stop working once Iím out of invites. Let me know after you registered, because I need to verify you on my end.
G W is in.
Thanks
Rebelaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #6497
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:

I signed up.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #6498
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Let me know what you guys think about it. Same concept as Bitcoin? Worse or potentially better? Just another fad? I really have no idea. I just found it today and figured I'd share.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #6499
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Let me know what you guys think about it. Same concept as Bitcoin? Worse or potentially better? Just another fad? I really have no idea. I just found it today and figured I'd share.
Invites are gone. I would be curious to see what it's all about. Where did you find it? If you come across anymore invites shoot one over to me.

About it being a fad. One of these fads is going to catch on.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #6500
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrage View Post
Invites are gone. I would be curious to see what it's all about. Where did you find it? If you come across anymore invites shoot one over to me.

About it being a fad. One of these fads is going to catch on.

Here is my invite link: https://initiativeq.com/invite/wT-xi6EWN

chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top