Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
AgTag23
Four Point

Default Public Hunting other than TX

Not sure what the public opportunities in other states are like and hoping someone can put me in the right direction. I have heard some states have better draw success rates for out of state residents than others.

Anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Thinking Elk/Deer. Open to NM, CO, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho..
AgTag23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

There are a lot of options in Colorado and a lot of different types of tags, some units are more popular than others but guaranteed you can get over the counter tags somewhere at any point this season.

I have put in the past two years and been drawn both times first year was 4th season rifle and this year I got drawn for muzzleloader mule deer I also hunted OTC archery elk both years.

Out-of-state licenses for Elk are 650 bucks and they suck it out of your account the second you get drawn unlike Texas where you have to manually go pay for your permit if you get drawn through tpwd.

They used to take the money up front and make you float it for a few months and then give it back to you if you didn't get drawn but they just changed it last year where there's a small fee to enter the drawing and you pay the license when you get drawn.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Each state is completely different. Go on each states department of fish and game websites and start reading and taking notes cause some of it can get confusing. Once you start you will be opening a can of worms and if you like it you’ll get sucked down the worm hole that you will obsess over all year long.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

I happen to love it here in Idaho, as 70% of our lands are public. Nice mix of USFS, BLM, State, and ACCESS YES private property enrolled for Public access.

The Unit I hunt in Arizona is 90% public land.

In Wyoming, most of the areas I hunt are public, State Trust, or WMA.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Just depends upon what species and weapons you desire. New Mexico really restricts the nonresident tag numbers whereas Colorado and Idaho have OTC options for elk.
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
NoFence
Eight Point

There's already tons of info online. Check out the elk different states websites. You'll be confused at first but it's a lot simpler than it looks. Like someone else said, try to narrow down a species first, then a state. It'll make it a lot easier.
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I put in for dozens of tags all over the west (and then some). All of the tags are on public. The hours of homework and research is in the hundreds. There are some easy OTC hunts that have decent success. Colorado probably has the best public, nonresident, OTC options. Let me clarify - for elk. Mule deer tags are tough to get on public, and easy to get on private. Bear tags are draw but easy. Antelope are otc for archery and draw for the rest. Pick a species and I’ll point you in the right way.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
jnd1959
Eight Point

I use gohunt for my research. I used to do it myself but the data is summarized in an order that allows query. Plus if I have questions they have staff that will answer. As said, Colorado probably has the best nonresident elk tags for the price. If your looking for pronghorn go to Wyoming. There are other states that are competitive on elk. Gohunt has a summary that goes over the different state options by species.
jnd1959 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Just about every state has way more public opportunities than TX so it's all downhill from here baby! lol

Gohunt is an awesome resource, well worth the sticker price.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #10
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Just about every state has way more public opportunities than TX so it's all downhill from here baby! lol

Gohunt is an awesome resource, well worth the sticker price.
Ainít that the truth.
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #11
jnd1959
Eight Point

Warning, once you hunt out west you'll be ruined for setting in a stand over a feeder. I've only just now come back to hunt in Texas because my two youngest are now hunting. Even with that were making plans to burn my pronghorn points next year. Probably elk up in unit 12 again in Co as well. Easy draw but hard hunt depending on which season you pick.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
AgTag23
Four Point

Can you explain GoHunt a little more? What do you use it for, cost, how has it helped you etc

Last edited by AgTag23; 12-21-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
AgTag23
Four Point

I really appreciate the info thus far.

So narrowing down to Elk, what next? Based off limited research, I would say Colorado or Idaho would be an easier bet. My goal is to do a week long trip with my just me and my wife. We are both young and have the ability to cover lots of ground. After watching most of the MeatEater series on Netflix, we are both itching to get out texas and try another adventure.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
AgTag23
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
I put in for dozens of tags all over the west (and then some). All of the tags are on public. The hours of homework and research is in the hundreds. There are some easy OTC hunts that have decent success. Colorado probably has the best public, nonresident, OTC options. Let me clarify - for elk. Mule deer tags are tough to get on public, and easy to get on private. Bear tags are draw but easy. Antelope are otc for archery and draw for the rest. Pick a species and Iíll point you in the right way.
OTC meaning you can walk into a sporting goods store, get a tag, and essentially head to the woods?
Old 12-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I use gohunt for my research. I used to do it myself but the data is summarized in an order that allows query. Plus if I have questions they have staff that will answer. As said, Colorado probably has the best nonresident elk tags for the price. If your looking for pronghorn go to Wyoming. There are other states that are competitive on elk. Gohunt has a summary that goes over the different state options by species.
2nd this. Gohunt is the way to go. I won a $500 bipod this year, so the membership has paid for itself for the next 4 years now.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTag23 View Post
Can you explain GoHunt a little more? What do you use it for, cost, how has it helped you etc
It has unit maps, draw and success odds for different species, info about what species is most found where in the units, local amenities info, etc.

Its $150 per year but you can almost always find some sort of $50 coupon code .

You can probably find a free trial coupon somewhere too.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
AgTag23
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
It has unit maps, draw and success odds for different species, info about what species is most found where in the units, local amenities info, etc.

Its $150 per year but you can almost always find some sort of $50 coupon code .

You can probably find a free trial coupon somewhere too.
Shoot, that's steep for an app.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #18
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
Seems expensive but when you see what all you can do with it 150$ is extremely cheap. Opens the door for easy DIY hunting all over the west. Just having all the info breakdowns for each state all in one place is priceless.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
GoHunt will literally answer every question you have asked so far. Just go to the site and get started. $150 is cheap compared to the amount of time you will spend online trying to understand regs, draw odds, units, land ownership, point applications, codes for selecting units, legal game, camping locations, amount of tags drawn, amount of animals taken, bull/cow ratio, past history in the units, etc....you get my point.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
AgTag23
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
GoHunt will literally answer every question you have asked so far. Just go to the site and get started. $150 is cheap compared to the amount of time you will spend online trying to understand regs, draw odds, units, land ownership, point applications, codes for selecting units, legal game, camping locations, amount of tags drawn, amount of animals taken, bull/cow ratio, past history in the units, etc....you get my point.
Gotcha thanks. How long does the $150 give you access for? I am assuming a year
Old 12-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
Deerslayersh
Eight Point

Watch Randy Newberg's Elk Talk series on YouTube. He goes over each western state's drawing system. His "Fresh Tracks" series on Amazon Prime is really good as well. He hunts all public land. He is also an advocate for GoHunt Insider.
Deerslayersh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
jnd1959
Eight Point

I used to compile draw odds, harvest success, etc then call wildlife managers in areas, then do it all over when the unit I'm looking at hits a snag. You get contact with staff that live in the state. They may or may not have hunted the unit but if not they've told me so and given general information.

As an example, I have nine points for Pronghorn in WY. I have zero points for elk. I already know the unit I will put in for Pronghorn. I asked them to recommend elk units that I could draw general tags near my unit. They came back with suggestions and strategy. Also, even though I've been applying in WY for years, it was their write up that corrected some assumptions I had about the second choice. If I had gone with my assumptions we would not draw a tag next year.
Also you will see other hunter questions and comments on a unit ad well as your own.

I think there are monthly options as well as the annual but don't quote me on it..
Good luck

Last edited by jnd1959; 12-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #23
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
OTC meaning you can walk into a sporting goods store, get a tag, and essentially head to the woods?
Yes, on Public. There are OTC tags for private as well, along with draw and landowner vouchers. New Mexico even has an outfitter draw. If I was going to do my first hunt outside of Texas I would do a late September (rut) elk, archery public hunt in Colorado. You can most likely locate bulls and have a either sex tag. You would think a rifle tag in October sounds easier but without them screaming, itís tough. If I was set on rifle I would sit on water everyday, not move, and go deep in. In all honesty it would probably take 2-3 years to get a nice bull. Some people are lucky. Iíve done most of the western states and would be glad to help.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
wytex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

We have great public land hunting in Wyoming for everything, You'll need PP to draw a great tag but some can b had if lucky in the random draw. Pronghorn up here are a blast to hunt and trophies can be had in almost any area with time and effort.
Colorado has OTC tags and lots of elk, but also lots of hunters.
A general tag in Wyoming lets you hunt any general area in the state with possibility of hunting archery season then coming back with a rifle if not successful.
Cow tags and doe tags can be had at reduced price and they are random draw, also additional tags meaning you can have a cow tag and a bull tag ( or either sex tag).
Lots of folks on here hunt Rocky Mt states so just ask and they or I will help with info.
The state G&F sites have lots of info, check out the Wyoming Hunt Planner for areas, draw odds and a map of public and private land.
Fall fishing for spawning trout is also doable on almost any hunt, dusky grouse hunting in the forest and sage grouse during Sept. too.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Wyoming is cake for public land antelope. Makes an easy $1000.00 trip for two or three guys.
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
wytex
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Wyoming is cake for public land antelope. Makes an easy $1000.00 trip for two or three guys.
This for sure. You could possibly have up to 2 any antelope tags each and 4 doe/fawn tags if everything was drawn and leftovers were available.
Get a few PP in Wyoming and come up for a fun hunt. Sept antelope seasons in many areas combine with fishing for fall spawning trout and grouse hunting in the forests and sage grouse on the flats.
Camping is easy just need a sturdy tent, wind is an issue.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #27
krausejmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
2nd this. Gohunt is the way to go. I won a $500 bipod this year, so the membership has paid for itself for the next 4 years now.
That was you! I saw that someone from Katy won, tha'ts awesome congrats!
krausejmk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #28
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

And just because you are young don’t think you can cover lots of ground. I went last running about 20 miles a week and rucking another 20. At 10k feet flatlanders get slow and worn out. Train with a McDonalds straw in your mouth to breath out of. Start with shot straw and make it longer as you get closer
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #29
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
And just because you are young donít think you can cover lots of ground. I went last running about 20 miles a week and rucking another 20. At 10k feet flatlanders get slow and worn out. Train with a McDonalds straw in your mouth to breath out of. Start with shot straw and make it longer as you get closer
Whenever I was climbing I'd spend a couple days at 7k and do day trips to 10. Climb high sleep low. If i didn't have time there was always diamox. Take altitude seriously. Edema can be a killer. Everyone worries about bears but the real killers are weather, altitude and falls.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #30
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
We're going to WY late season this next year. If anyone has 5.5 points and wants to go late pm me. If we draw we will head up after the 15 of Oct. We're right on the bubble for the unit we want if point creep isn't too bad. We're also going to try for general elk. That's due Jan 31st.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #31
wytex
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
We're going to WY late season this next year. If anyone has 5.5 points and wants to go late pm me. If we draw we will head up after the 15 of Oct. We're right on the bubble for the unit we want if point creep isn't too bad. We're also going to try for general elk. That's due Jan 31st.
Good luck in the draw.
An Oct 15 hunt is really not considered a late hunt up here, most elk rifle seasons open Oct 15. Our late cow season just closed yesterday East of town. Good thing it was -10 this morning.
General elk is not a bad tag, you get to hunt any general area. Our elk numbers are high right now but winter may come into play. Look into some reduced price cow/calf tags too.
Most folks don't realize just how high our elevation is even at lower towns. We are at 7,220 here in Laramie and it goes up quickly closer to the mountains.
Care to mention your area , understand if you don't?
Old 01-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #32
jnd1959
Eight Point

Late season for Pronghorn. We'll prob get cow tags for elk. Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #33
wytex
Eight Point

Late pronghorn are fun, big herds and lots of eyes. Once they yard up for winter some bigger bucks are visible again. By Nov the horn sheaths can slip off, handle carefully.
Cow tags and doe deer are good add- ons for later pronghorn hunt. Good luck with the draw.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #34
Palehorse
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

It's a long trip, but there are over the counter tags in Washington and Oregon for public land elk, blacktail deer, bear, and mountain lion. I'll be headed to the Oregon coast this coming fall for Roosevelt elk. My son lives out there and he is putting in the miles scouting before the season.
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #35
Ben59
Nubbin' Buck

Has anyone hunted Antelope in South Dakota? I'm wanting to plan a antelope hunt this year and to me it seams that South Dakota would be a good place since i can by a tag over the counter and there is lots of public land. I know Wyoming has the best herds but it seams like i could still be successful in south Dakota and its a guarantee that i get a tag.
Ben59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top