Hog light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog light

So, I want a Hog light, but with IR lights. To buy this, you’re looking at between 2-400. I refuse to pay that much, and I also love tinkering, so I’m gonna attempt to make my own. This is what I’ve come up with so far. I plan to make some cuts in the case for the sensor and two bulb assembly’s, then paint the case, then install sensor and bulbs and put a bead of silicone around that. At first I was planning on wiring it to the existing 12v system already in place on the feeder, but then I found a 12v battery pack so I can make one self contained unit. This will work the exact same way as a regular green visible hog light, but as I hunt with nightvision equipment I don’t want/ need visible light and it actually harms my NVG equipment anyways. I use a PVS14 and a Steiner DBAL laser. Not only will this light setup alert me of movement, but it will also give me supplamental illumination that is much needed being as I hunt in Brackettville, which has zero light pollution that can make hunting on moonless or cloudy nights challenging. I’ll keep the thread updated as parts start rolling in and I get stuff put together. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a sniper hog light with IR for less than $150 and it works the first time. No trial and error and “tinkering”

Sniperhoglights.com

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
      You can get a sniper hog light with IR for less than $150 and it works the first time. No trial and error and “tinkering”

Sniperhoglights.com

Err, their only feeder mounted option is right at 400 bucks. That is the point of what I’m building, it needs to be feeder mounted. And not be 400 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
        Err, their only feeder mounted option is right at 400 bucks. That is the point of what I’m building, it needs to be feeder mounted. And not be 400 bucks.

Why does it "Need" to be feeder mounted?

Comment

I strongly suggest you add up everything you need before purchasing any of it and make sure the savings are worth the hassle

I don't see a solar panel on that list and that is a chunk

Not trying to deter you, I like saving money and doing things myself too but I have yet to figure out how to build a decent feeder light and not spend close to what I can buy one for.

Used to be a Chinese website to buy the bow/gun mounted lights for cheap but I can't remember the name of it at the moment

Comment

Either of these would be sufficient. And under $200

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Your about 2 weeks to late, ASF had the INHAWGNITO light that mounted directly to the feeder unit discounted for $35. I bought one just to have the remote function. Now they are not even on the sight.

Comment

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use solar powered lights off Amazon for $30-$40 and they work great! Mount them to trees or feeder.

Comment

So to clear a few things up- The power supply is a rechargeable 12v battery pack. This is made to be an ultra portable setup, it isn’t staying up permanently, hence no solar panel. I absolutely DO NOT want visible green light, it is completely detrimental to hunting using NVGs. Too much light, even IR light, can wash out what you’re seeing when looking thru NVGs. It’s a fine balance. This is acting as a trip wire, as I have two feeders at my stand. It does the exact same thing as your regular hog light, just with IR light. I’m building it to be ultra compact, and with the ability to easily mount it.

Here is one of my feeders, and an example of IR light. This is just a brief flash of it. Yes, while looking thru my nvg, I would see the flash, but as I said I want it to stay on for a few minutes so it’ll provide me with supplemental lighting. It’ll act as a backlight and make any animal really stand out to me.

Here is what is mounted to my rifle, it’s a DBAL I2. It’s a IT Illuminator and laser, that allows me to aim the rifle.

Comment

Can't wait to see how it turns out, so keep us up to date. I'm the last person to call anyone out on how much they spend on toys/hunting. If you enjoy tinkering and the challenge of building exactly what you want, get after it.

Comment

I built one out of an old trail camera. I direct wired the battery source to the IR leds and put a toggle switch in between. Only cost me the price of a toggle switch because the camera had crapped out and I would have tossed it otherwise.

I have ran it constant for 4+ hours and it was still going. Not sure how long it will run, but if you turn it on right before your hunt, I'm sure it would go the distance for your hunt.
                        Last edited by Brack; 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
                          I built one out of an old trail camera. I direct wired the battery source to the IR leds and put a toggle switch in between. Only cost me the price of a toggle switch because the camera had crapped out and I would have tossed it otherwise.

I have ran it constant for 4+ hours and it was still going. Not sure how long it will run, but if you turn it on right before your hunt, I'm sure it would go the distance for your hunt.

That’s an awesome idea! If only I had some broken cameras laying around[emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
                            That’s an awesome idea! If only I had some broken cameras laying around[emoji848]

Look to the green screen

Comment

Alright, have a whole mess of parts coming in tomorrow and Friday. Went ahead and ordered an LED driver so I don’t have to run two emitters in parallel so they don’t fry. Should be pretty straight forward. I’ll wire everything up, test functionality, then start fitting it all into the case

Comment

Working...
                              X