Anybody like eating carp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody like eating carp?

We caught 4 big carp while catfishing this weekend. I’ve never eaten it and always assumed you just don’t eat em. Kids wanted to give it a try, so I cleaned one and let the other three go. Besides getting past the scales it wasn’t a big deal to filet. A lot more bones and not as good as fresh fried catfish, but edible. We looked it up online and apparently people use carp meat like fake crab and for making fish puppies and curry and other recipes where the meat is more like a filler than the main thing.

Can’t say that I’ll target carp anytime soon, but I was surprised that it really wasn’t bad.

Ive eaten them ceviche style. Tasted good.

Comment

I tried it once.
      Once was plenty.

Comment

My grandad would take carp over most any other fish, we never ate them just because of the bones, never tried one over 3-4 lbs though.

Comment

If you’re hungry and or broke it’s probably pretty good

Comment

been told soak meat in vinegar would turn bones into soft and edible..also been told to pressure cook would too.. Then turn into like crab cakes...But never tried either...

Comment

Love a good carp, javelina and aoudad soup.

Ate it once. Lots of bones. Flavor wasn’t bad, but texture was “different”. I ain’t cleaning one

Comment

Carp from clean running rivers is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by ptlmg View Post
                  Ive eaten them ceviche style. Tasted good.
                  It's really good in ceviche!!

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                  Carp from clean running rivers is pretty good.
                  I have had it from both clean running rivers and lake Amistad. I could not tell a difference but then again amistad is really clean....

Comment

Filet them cut out dark meat run the meat through a meat grinder season the meat and run it through the meat grinder again roll into small balls or patties batter and fry. Growing up on the Mississippi River this was common bar food.

Comment

Smoke it, cook in curry,stew it, etc. When I was in China most of the fish I ate was carp. The joke was cause they ate all the other fish though

Comment

Run it thru the pressure cooker and the bones are soft, like canned salmon.

Comment

I will pass on the carp. Too many other species in fresh water that is much better lol.

Comment

Smoked carp is great

Comment

Cook in pressure cooker, eat pressure cooker throw carp away!!

Comment

Working...
                              X