Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for land. How do you know if you can shoot on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for land. How do you know if you can shoot on it?

Have started to search for land online. When you're looking at these listings, how do you know whether you can legally discharge a firearm on each piece of property?

If in house addition and outcity limits, it must be over 10 acres. Outside of that, as long as bullet doesn't leave property, and no closer than 600 feet i think(not sure on exact distance) from another house you can shoot on any size property.

Comment

What I was told my my local game warden (hays, caldwell, bastrop county), is there is no minimun size. Must be outside city limits, rounds cannot cross property lines and obviously cannot be towards a person, building or vehicle.

Comment

Looking for land as well. I've always had the notion that in addition to being outside the city limits, the nearest house (Using measuring tool on Gmaps) would have to be at a minimum of 600 yards. Also that the direction I would shoot there would not be a house within that direct line for at least a mile.

Comment

Don’t take any of the info provided as correct on your area. You need to check city and county regulations for the area you are looking because they can and will vary

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            If in house addition and outcity limits, it must be over 10 acres. Outside of that, as long as bullet doesn't leave property, and no closer than 600 feet i think(not sure on exact distance) from another house you can shoot on any size property.
            Not true unless an ordinance has been passed by the County Commissioners. And there is no minimum distance to another dwelling. City limits is a whole nother story.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Don’t take any of the info provided as correct on your area. You need to check city and county regulations for the area you are looking because they can and will vary
              No doubt. Some of the comments are laughable though.

Comment

Each country will be different and then if there are any restrictions in place for the property that can change from one property to another.

Comment

Buy my place, shoot until you run dry !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Buy my place, shoot until you run dry !
                    Let me know if you come across anything in Troup! I'm looking and ready to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                      Let me know if you come across anything in Troup! I'm looking and ready to buy.
                      Got 217 acres for sale but it's in Rusk Co. About five acres of food plots, good roads and trails, community water plus water well. Twelve hundred square foot house with new furniture and appliance, central heat and air. Ready to hunt !
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Got 217 acres for sale but it's in Rusk Co. About five acres of food plots, good roads and trails, community water plus water well. Twelve hundred square foot house with new furniture and appliance, central heat and air. Ready to hunt !
                        Maybe one day! Pretty limited to the Whitehouse area right now.

Comment

It is against the law to hunt in a subdivision on lots 10 acres or less in an unincorporated area of a county if the commissioners court, by order, prohibits the discharge of a firearm or the use of archery equipment in such subdivisions. (Contact local county clerk and ask about §235.022, Local Government Code.)

Comment

Working...
                          X