No announcement yet.

For all of you quitters out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, Its a total whip, but anyone can do it if I did. I quit in June of 2006. Wife was 6 months pregnant with our first kid.

Between me quitting tobacco and her pregnancy we both had a thumb on the "launch nuclear weapons" button at all times. It was touch and go for the first 3 weeks, but it all worked out!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post

We can git 're done
      Just a head's up though. I know that I get reallllly cranky and very short with people when I've been without, so I may just come on here and send it your way, so I can justify that it's your fault.

Greg
      Proverbs 27:17

Comment

40 days strong here. Just dropped it cold. The headaches only lasted for 4 days and I was good to go. I used peppermints for a little while to keep my mind off of it but even that's not and issue anymore. Working in an office where everyone dips has its temptations but I'll survive. It really is wild how much money it puts back into your wallet.

Buying a $4-5 can every day isn't a huge deal, but then you think some of those trips into the gas station or store turn into purchasing other things like snacks and drinks that you don't need either. It really adds up over time.

Good Luck to ya.

Comment

$6/can
          1 can per day
          30 days per month
          12 months per year

$2160/year

Thats a nice deer lease - every year
          Flight for 2 and a beach house in Mexico for a week - every year
          New bow and rifle - every year
          An extra $2160 in savings account - every year

...or you can spend that money on an early and painful death. Id rather go to Mexico and drink beer on the beach! You?

This:

Or this:
          Last edited by ballsie; 02-09-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I walked away from snuff in June as a Birthday gift to my wife. My main driving factor was my oldest daughter though. She went to the trouble to draw a diagram at school of how it was effecting me. I couldn't see how it made sense to argue that it was OK for me to do and basically give any of my kids to want to pick any of it up later. Once I made up my mind it was pretty easy. After the first 24 hrs I had it whooped. Never looked back, had no withdrawals to speak of, and haven't missed it. I dipped for almost 20m years.

Comment

It will be 3 years in March for me. Nothing will ever really take the place of the urge. I still have the urge but it is down to 1 or 2 days a week. Like others have said:

Sunflower seeds

Gum, hard candy

Dip home made snuff type stuff, coffee grounds, tea. I used a old snuff can and would put used coffee grounds, fresh tea bag, and a splash of whisky. I think having the can helped as much as what was inside.

Food works great, you just get fat!

Ice tea/water

Smoky Mountain or Back Off mint snuff (splash of whisky in these too). Most are too sweet.

For me it was never as much about the nicotine as the habit itself.

Comment

I am in the process...using Smokey Mountain Non Tobacco Dip to help wing me off

Comment

first post ever but have read this forum for about 2 years off and on and just signed up not too long ago to participate...

I quit dipping 230 days ago today...dipped a can of any form of wintergreen I could get my hands on everyday for 24 years and finally just got sick of being a slave to it... 1st thing is you have to WANT to quit! If you don't SERIOUSLY want to quit, then it will fail....

Killthecan.org

I joined the above website and it helped me to get through "the fog" for the first 2 months with people who were experiencing the same things I was...the guys on there can get a little ruthless but it's all to help you and support your quit! If ya have any questions about it, let me know!

Coach K

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                    Just a head's up though. I know that I get reallllly cranky and very short with people when I've been without, so I may just come on here and send it your way, so I can justify that it's your fault.

Greg
                    Proverbs 27:17

I'll be here brother

Comment

Just ordered some bacc-off pouches, im on the wagon too as soon as they come in. Thanks for the encouragement! Its something I promised my wife I would do after our child was born, he is now closing in on 2, I think its time I held up my end of the deal.

Comment

You can do what I did and take a job in a country that has no smokeless tobacco. Also no pork and no alcohol.
                        Yeah, it has to pay good to do without all that.
                        I have seen guys pay as much as $40 a can for Copenhagen.

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                          first post ever but have read this forum for about 2 years off and on and just signed up not too long ago to participate...

I quit dipping 230 days ago today...dipped a can of any form of wintergreen I could get my hands on everyday for 24 years and finally just got sick of being a slave to it... 1st thing is you have to WANT to quit! If you don't SERIOUSLY want to quit, then it will fail....

Killthecan.org

I joined the above website and it helped me to get through "the fog" for the first 2 months with people who were experiencing the same things I was...the guys on there can get a little ruthless but it's all to help you and support your quit! If ya have any questions about it, let me know!

Coach K
                          Thanks...... And welcome to the fire Coach

Comment

I have quit several times, but I have always gone back. 2 years was my longest time that I went without. I have recently quit again. Hopefully forever. If you are tough enough to go cold turkey, good for you and best of luck to you.

If not, I have quit using Chantix. it will get you over the hump. The only downside is it is expensive (compared to longterm snuff cost maybe not) and the side effects for me were horrible. I have also used Wellbutrin, and it will take the edge off. I have noticed no other effects with this other than urges for tobacco are somewhat diminished. Best of Luck to You.

Comment

I used fireballs...then sunflower seeds. Been over 20 yrs now. Good luck!

Comment

The #1 thing hands down is you have to really REALLY want to quit! Most that use tobacco want to quit but they just don't want it bad enough!

One other thing, quitting is a life long process (at least for me). The cravings get much easier to manage but never go away (again, my experience quitting smoking for 3 years).

Patches can work as can meds, gum, etc. There is no silver bullet and everyone is different. I found cold turkey was the only way for me but know folks that have used the other methods with success (even acupuncture lol).

Comment

Working...
                                X