Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were going to start a hunting lease.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Oh good lord with the " we have a16 k acre pasture,
    control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". Are we not realizing here 80 percent of your deer don't leave your property, and you've had an opportunity to manage the same herd through 3 whitetail generations? I'm also sure these same deer are also fed extremely well.

You've created a HF environment in a low fence setting, you're basically a unicorn. Less than a tenth of 1 percent of hunters ( land owners not included) will have an opportunity to experience this situation. Mainly due to finances.

Go tell the guy in East Texas with 600 acres, or the gent in West Texas with 2500 acres that culling works. It'll never happen.

Good luck on filling your spots Jeff.
    So I apologize for experiencing this opportunity by working out butts off for years and being a unicorn. How dare me do so.

I wasn't telling anyone (much less a guy in East Texas) anything - I simply stated what we are doing and how it has worked for us

And apparently there are two unicorns on here - the guy I quoted -

Comment

Oh good lord with the " we have a16 k acre pasture,
      control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". Are we not realizing here 80 percent of your deer don't leave your property, and you've had an opportunity to manage the same herd through 3 whitetail generations? I'm also sure these same deer are also fed extremely well.

You've created a HF environment in a low fence setting, you're basically a unicorn. Less than a tenth of 1 percent of hunters ( land owners not included) will have an opportunity to experience this situation. Mainly due to finances.

Go tell the guy in East Texas with 600 acres, or the gent in West Texas with 2500 acres that culling works. It'll never happen.

Good luck on filling your spots Jeff.

I’ve been in agreement with all your posts, and value your experience.

This one has me confused. Was it directed at someone in particular? I can’t tell.

Nevermind I just saw the response above mine.
      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-16-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great property and you are starting off right. Don't sweat what the less than serious guys say. Shooting trophy deer consistently takes a solid plan and everyone following the plan. If potential members can't hack that, send them packing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          However shooting two mature trophy bucks per member is not realistic for long term success. So in most lease set ups there is an allowance for the 2nd buck to be a “cull” of some sort.
          So I would say set your trophy score 140 or 160 or whatever fits your place and the age at 6. Then I would set the management score below that and the age at 6. I would let every buck hit 6 at a minimum before killing it. Oh and massacre the doe.

Comment

I'd be a member of this fine lease in a heartbeat with you Jeff.

One ranch I was on in Brady

trophy= 5.5 years or older and 120" up

Management=4.5 or older 9 pt or less but if scored 120 that was your trophy

Cull= 3.5 years 7 pts or less

We got one trophy and one of the other....but we did not all kill 2 bucks every year, the 2700 acres we were on was bow only and a great ranch, wouldn't sustain with 12 of us killing 2 bucks a piece every season.

Helicopter and camera surveys helped to support this.

We fed protein up until Sept 1 and was part if lease fee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Where we hunt the deer population is high. Those who say shoot the does to reduce deer numbers. Is there any concern about too many bucks? We already have lots of bucks. IMO they already outnumber the does. I’m currently on a lease that is right next to the place I’m considering. I’ve been on it 4 years now, and see lots of deer every hunt. I’ve killed bucks from 136”-154” in those 4 years. That’s with most current members feeding nothing but corn. I’m wanting to grow trophy bucks, and have fun doing it.
              Hence my response.

Comment

Unless you're high fence, culling is pissing in the wind. Let 'em all get a little age and shoot what you like. You'll be surprised what " inferior " deer can do with age and proper nutrition..
                This^^^^^ shoot on age and leave the rest to mother nature. We humans are way to egotistical when we start believing we can control things nature related.

If your age goal is 5.5(sorry all you .5 haters), try to shoot them all.....you cant. Even if you do, you will have a new crop of 5.5 yr olds next year. I personally like to set the bar at 6.5 or 7.5 but everyone's goals and situations are different. Just set the age bar and strive for it with every kill. Oh and feed them as much as the budget will allow.

Reading through more of the thread I see the potential there. When I was seriously managing I had broad goals stated but every buck was individually scrutinized and a decision on killing or not killing were made on each individual known deer prior to the start of the season. Thus a shoot and no shoot list was established. The broad goals covered the deer that shows up out of nowhere so a hunter could make a quick decision if need be. Hunting a quality low fence place gave me that opportunity. I could do my best managing the known deer but there was always the excitement of a new deer showing up and a quick decision being made in the heat of the moment. Hunting with like minded people really is a special thing.
                Last edited by rtp; 09-16-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                  Don't bring cheap whiskey.
                  This guy gets it.

Comment

If your deer density is high which likely it is. And your doe buck ratio is where you want it then you need to take roughly the same number of bucks as does. If you’ve got got a lot of bucks running around shooting a couple spikes or 3.5 year old “culls” will not hurt a thing. Have a rule for trophies to be at least 4.5 or 5.5. and shoulder mount quality. That gives everyone a real shot at killing 4 deer if you take 2 does a piece which most will want. The “cull” should be easy to find at make great deer for kids and such. I do not like the thought of having to have pictures of a deer to be able to be shot as 1, it doesn’t account for any new deer that’s never been on camera and 2 it sucks the fun out of it. At the end of the day it’s just a dang deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
                      If your deer density is high which likely it is. And your doe buck ratio is where you want it then you need to take roughly the same number of bucks as does. If you’ve got got a lot of bucks running around shooting a couple spikes or 3.5 year old “culls” will not hurt a thing. Have a rule for trophies to be at least 4.5 or 5.5. and shoulder mount quality. That gives everyone a real shot at killing 4 deer if you take 2 does a piece which most will want. The “cull” should be easy to find at make great deer for kids and such. I do not like the thought of having to have pictures of a deer to be able to be shot as 1, it doesn’t account for any new deer that’s never been on camera and 2 it sucks the fun out of it. At the end of the day it’s just a dang deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you on taking pics beforehand. The lease I’m on out there now we have to submit pics for approval before we can kill a management buck. I’ve only killed two in my 5 seasons out there. It requires you to see the deer on more than one occasion. It does tend to take some of the fun out of it.

I want members who can age, and score deer on the hoof and be pretty dang close. I’m not wanting someone just getting started in bow hunting.

There’s some really good info here. I appreciate all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                        So I apologize for experiencing this opportunity by working out butts off for years and being a unicorn. How dare me do so.

I wasn't telling anyone (much less a guy in East Texas) anything - I simply stated what we are doing and how it has worked for us

And apparently there are two unicorns on here - the guy I quoted -
                        There are actually 3. I know of another who posted here under the same situation, you boys are sporty today. I like it

Comment

There are actually 3. I know of another who posted here under the same situation, you boys are sporty today. I like it
                          well that was a total BS response - we did nothing wrong other than to not go along with your ideas - if you can't get to a "unicorn" status then that is on you - again sorry we don't fit into your way of doing things - your response was totally uncalled for -tired of guys getting bashed by guys like you who simply stated how they do things

I am out - we will just keep suffering through killing world class LF deer - night

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            well that was a total BS response - we did nothing wrong other than to not go along with your ideas - if you can't get to a "unicorn" status then that is on you - again sorry we don't fit into your way of doing things - your response was totally uncalled for -tired of guys getting bashed by guys like you who simply stated how they do things
                            Still sporty I see, still like it. No one said you did anything wrong? Your situation is different then 99.9 percent of the other hunters on this site. Carry on or have a coldly... or be upset, no skin off my back.

AC, my apologies for derailing your thread a bit sir.

Good evening gents...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

You carrying a big spoon again?

[emoji23][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                You carrying a big spoon again?

[emoji23][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                Lmao... heckler alert! Go chase a bad guy or something!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X