Tractor Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Recommendation

Just closed on a raw 15 acres we are going to build on in the next few years. For general road maintenance, shredding and such what small utility tractor packages would you suggest?

Shop around. There's lots of good tractors out there.

John Deere, New Holland, Kioti, Kubota, etc.

I've used lots of them of different sizes. Long term, I've spent more hours on the Kioti at the farm than any other. It's easy enough to maintain that I do 95% of all the work on it, and it's very reliable.

Comment

I learned my lesson the hard way. Buy bigger then you think you will need . A loader is a must have . Shredder, post hole digger . A land plane would be nice for maintaining your roads or a box blade
      . I’m currently looking for a used 50hp range tractor . Those things are hard to find . I have found several but all sold before I could go look at them .

Comment

I have 25 acres = Kubota with loader and full cab - 40 horse - I found it with 30 hours on it - love it

Comment

I had a 65S kioti , lots of power , simple maintenance, high GPM
          Sold it to pay some medical bills, big mistake, it was irreplaceable, no dpf , or special fluids

FIL , shredder, box blade
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-05-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
            Just closed on a raw 15 acres we are going to build on in the next few years. For general road maintenance, shredding and such what small utility tractor packages would you suggest?
            I live on 5 and I have a B2601 and it's barely enough to get the "bigger" jobs done. I have about 500' of road and I use my box blade to maintain the caliche road. I have a whole bunch of implements...

I had a 47 horse and it was plenty big enough to handle a much bigger place. I'd recommend something in between. If you can find a good deal on a Kubota L3301 or L3901, that would be big enough to do some sizable jobs on your place without becoming too big to maneuver.

The implements you'll probably want, in order of importance:

front end loader
            box blade (get a heavier one, not the entry level - they're too light)
            rotary cutter (brush hog)
            grapple
            post hole digger
            backhoe

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
              I live on 5 and I have a B2601 and it's barely enough to get the "bigger" jobs done. I have about 500' of road and I use my box blade to maintain the caliche road. I have a whole bunch of implements...

I had a 47 horse and it was plenty big enough to handle a much bigger place. I'd recommend something in between. If you can find a good deal on a Kubota L3301 or L3901, that would be big enough to do some sizable jobs on your place without becoming too big to maneuver.

The implements you'll probably want, in order of importance:

front end loader
              box blade (get a heavier one, not the entry level - they're too light)
              rotary cutter (brush hog)
              grapple
              post hole digger
              backhoe
              I think we will have about 900' of road based on where we want the house. That's the first expense, going to have it done. Hoping to maintain it myself after that.

I was looking at the L series Kobota's, so good to know.

Comment

Whatever you get, make sure you get front wheel assist. Without it the fel will be useless for anything more than very light work. Cutter to match hp, box blade if you actually need it, post hole digger if you’re gonna build a bunch of fence, otherwise you’ll be wondering why you bought it. Even if I were gonna build fence I’d rent a skid steer for a day before I’d buy a hole digger. Much easier to precisely position and you’re not looking backward trying to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  I learned my lesson the hard way. Buy bigger then you think you will need . A loader is a must have . Shredder, post hole digger . A land plane would be nice for maintaining your roads or a box blade
                  . I’m currently looking for a used 50hp range tractor . Those things are hard to find . I have found several but all sold before I could go look at them .
                  Always good advice. There are tons of options out there. I'm just not sure what I need. THere are some things that seem better for convience factor but do they make sense to spend the money on? You know what I mean.

I'm just completely new to this side of things.

Comment

I’ve owned 4 30ish HP over the years we use em every day they have been awesome.The last one is a 3350 SU and has emissions system.It is the worst tractor I’ve ever owned emissions break down every year and they keep it for a month every time.Ill buy a 25 HP next time and doesn’t require an emissions system.

Comment

And they all have been Kubota

Comment

25-50 hp Kubota.

Skip the box blade and get a land plane instead.

Comment

Look at Branson . Way better specs compared to Deere and Kubota. Heavier , all steel , much higher lift capacity etc. pretty dang happy with my 2515h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love my Kubota M5660. I have 22 acres and mostly shred, plow, or harrow with it. It does not have a front loader as I have a Bobcat for that and it does such jobs better than a tractor's front end loader.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                              Look at Branson . Way better specs compared to Deere and Kubota. Heavier , all steel , much higher lift capacity etc. pretty dang happy with my 2515h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Definitely been happy with my 4720H. Danged thing is stout! All the above are why I went with Branson, but you get a lot for your money with them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X