Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
    Good luck. Still following
    Good deal !!! I will try to keep you all updated.

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    I'ma still lurking here.
    I appreciate you following along.

Where a hunt like Hagerman is a 3 day sprint. This is a season long marathon. Today was my 20th sit since October 19th. Deer hunting is basically what I am going to be doing for the next two months.

Archery season is Oct 1 – Dec 6, 2019 archery then opens back up Dec. 23 - Jan. 10, 2020
    Early Muzzleloader, Oct 12 - 20
    Late Muzzleloader, Dec 23 - Jan 10, 2020
    First Shotgun, Dec 7 - 11
    Second Shotgun, Dec 14 - 22
    January Antlerless, Jan 11 - 26, 2020

My time in the stand has revealed we are down on deer numbers from 2017 when I drew a tag as a non-resident and last year when I did not hunt (had not established residency), but observed all fall and winter. Our area was hit hard by EHD this past August and September. We lost at least two good bucks and a lot of does.

With that being said we have some outstanding bucks that are still here and the rut is just now kicking in. I saw a shooter yesterday morning at about 300 yards and I saw the same shooter this morning also at about 300 yards. I am sitting a stand in the morning that is pretty much between my two sightings.

So far I have had 5 bucks within 23 yards. One shooter that I could not get a shot at and four young 8s that basically came right under my tree and never knew I was there.

Here is some info on the deadly EHD outbreak in our area that killed a lot of deer this summer.

A Department of Natural Resources expert says the outbreak of a virus in deer has expanded. Tyler Harms has been following the outbreak of Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease or EHD. “Total statewide number of reported deer is 583. And we are seeing a bit of an expansion in terms of space and scope. So we are […]
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-03-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Try not to pull a hammy walking across the road to hunt! Good luck and you know I'm following this daily!

Comment

Love this thread. How high up are you?

Comment

Nice looking area. Good luck.

Comment

Following along, good luck!

Comment

Gotta love Iowa where the deer trails look like cow trails ! Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                Try not to pull a hammy walking across the road to hunt! Good luck and you know I'm following this daily!

At 3 of my four primary stands you can see the house. With that being said we have some rough*** terrain, steep elevation changes and tail busting creek banks that will make you work to get there.

You will see.

I gotta get to bed. I am after a tall and wide main frame 10 that will probably go about 275lbs on the hoof. I have seen him twice in the last two mornings. I watched him from about 300 yards thru my binos stand perfectly still for 12 minutes this morning. Old mature bucks that are 99% nocturnal are cool creatures to watch.....and put an arrow thru if I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                  Love this thread. How high up are you?
                  Most of my stands are 15 to 17 feet.

Comment

Back in the Pinch Point stand this evening. The buck I am looking for has not shown, but the little guys are acting "rutty". Pretty little 8 came in all bristled up.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!!!

Comment

Enjoying following along, thanks for posting.

Comment

Bag Limit ?

So - Is Iowa a one buck state ? Or are you allowed multiple bucks with different equipment ? A buddy of mine is hunting NW Oklahoma. He says he can kill a buck with archery, rifle and muzzleloader. BUT - he has to buy a separate license for each season.

Comment

I really like the looks of the Pinch Point stand. Appreciate the solid coverage.

Rwc

Comment

Plenty of live decoys. The bucks have not shown up yet this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                                Plenty of live decoys. The bucks have not shown up yet this morning.

Good luck! Hope a big one comes out to check on his ladies! It's about that time!

Comment

Working...
                                X