2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

Late post, but wanted share the wife’s MAJOR accomplishment! I wasn’t even in the country to help
    In any way, she setup/hunted/and tracked all by herself couldn’t be more proud of her. Also a HUGEEE shutout to my close friend Tshelly, one of
    The most selfless dudes on the earth, proud to call that man my friend. Preciate you helping her post recovery amigo owe you and the wife a great date night! Hard to find genuine trustworthy folks these days glad you’re in my circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are winning

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      You are winning

I’d like to think so [emoji1374]

Comment

Getting on a lease in Hardin county for the 2021-22 season. The place is huge. From the map it looks like it’s a mix of young to old pines, with one creek running through it that seems to have hardwoods surrounding it. I’ve hunted ETX for a few years now but it’s always been in the hills which made picking hunting spots a little easier. For those of you hunting flat land pine plantations, what are some things to look for? I plan on primarily bow hunting and then finding a fire lane to have a box blind on. For the most part I’ll be in a lock on.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          Getting on a lease in Hardin county for the 2021-22 season. The place is huge. From the map it looks like it’s a mix of young to old pines, with one creek running through it that seems to have hardwoods surrounding it. I’ve hunted ETX for a few years now but it’s always been in the hills which made picking hunting spots a little easier. For those of you hunting flat land pine plantations, what are some things to look for? I plan on primarily bow hunting and then finding a fire lane to have a box blind on. For the most part I’ll be in a lock on.

I would stick close to the SMZ (stream management zone, i.e. creek bottoms). That's where the oaks tend to be, and deer use them frequently as travel routes, especially if the surrounding pines are super thick.

Comment

What a season

I let Lola go after “Main Event” the last week of youth season. He did the same as he did to me. Missed him by 20min- 1 hr. The last weekend of youth we hunted Saturday am and pm... no show. Sunday school that morning and hunted the last evening.... nada. Pulled cameras and my lone wolf monday to monitor pigs..... he was in front of her blind and under my stand for an hour Sunday morning. Lol

Now he’s at my hog trap every day, so he made it through the season. Hopefully I’ll get a look at him as an 8.5 yo. Preliminary scouting today showed me where his main trail could be. If so that puts me 200 yards closer! Couldn’t go in there during season. Too risky

Comment

I killed a decent 8 point this year with the rifle. Not a lot of movement on my place in Wood County.

Comment

Did anyone notice a sizable decrease in doe sightings this season over years past? The two places I hunt it was absolutely stark. And I’m talking about places that are an hour apart and in two different counties, so it wasn’t an isolated thing.

Comment

I saw the doe numbers tank in my area last year. I’d say I saw a few more this year but still what I consider a little low

Comment

I have huge doe populations

Comment

We have been doe heavy for the last couple years. I think we knocked their number back a little this year and we increased the harvest by about 30%.

There were an immense number of fawns this year though.

Comment

They (does) completely disappeared from my place during the season this year. Or at least while I was hunting. I did not have game cameras out.

Comment

I have huge doe populations

Historically it was nothing for us to see 20+ in one sitting at our farm, but this year the most we saw at a time was less than a dozen. And it was only one time that that happened.

I know we only killed 2 last year, and our neighbors killed a few but by and large no one around us hunts much, so I don't know where they could have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            Historically it was nothing for us to see 20+ in one sitting at our farm, but this year the most we saw at a time was less than a dozen. And it was only one time that that happened.

I know we only killed 2 last year, and our neighbors killed a few but by and large no one around us hunts much, so I don't know where they could have gone.

To the neighbors that don’t hunt

Comment

To the neighbors that don’t hunt

Lol You might be right. It was a slow lesson though.

Side note: it’s amazing to see all the trees laid over from the weight of the snow. Got a lot more trimming to do now. On the plus side the cam. pics were awesome!

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a public dump/solid waste refusal in Trinity County?

Comment

Working...
                                X