Painting Water Tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting Water Tanks?

Looking to paint a couple big poly plastic water tanks to use as blinds. They'll be in the shade so I think black will be ok.

Thinking of maybe using a mop and 5 gallon bucket of roofing tar?

Can it be thinned with something?

Any other options that will last for years but might be easier to work with?

I just got done on a roof barn. You will have to thin it a lot to use a mop. A push broom is more likely what will work best. I have a little you can do a test spot with.

Comment

Painting Water Tanks?

I’m on year 8 with 4-5 cans of 97cent black walmart spray paint per tote. . It’s not as dark as it used to be but still doing the job. I was thinking about redoing it in the near future just because and it’s an easy fix. I think I got my $5 out of it.[emoji41]

The plywood is my west Texas version of shade. [emoji41]

Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Plastic primer spray paint and olive drab spray would be my suggestion, to make sure the second coat has something to bite on.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I’m on year 8 with 4-5 cans of 97cent black walmart spray paint per tote. . It’s not as dark as it used to be but still doing the job. I was thinking about redoing it in the near future just because and it’s an easy fix. I think I got my $5 out of it.[emoji41]

The plywood is my west Texas version of shade. [emoji41]

How long does the two totes filled last you during the summer months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went with a rubberized roof cement. Its supposed to dry in a couple days but we'll see. Wanted something that I could expect 20 years out of. It covered extremely easy but I did look like tar baby by the time I was done.

Comment

I wonder how hot the water will get in the smaller black tank? We have a couple of 3,000 gallon tanks on a ranch south of town that don't seem to heat up too bad. I should have checked them last Saturday when folks were quoting 111 degrees...
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsonly88 View Post
                How long does the two totes filled last you during the summer months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal rain.....two months..... Drought like now?.... I'm lucky to get 4-5 weeks out of them with as many deer as we have depending on feed and are around the feedpens/water troughs now. I have two sets of two and its pretty consistent

Comment

I am just putting bleach in mine, did not know they needed to be painted.

Comment

Working...
                  X