Very small acreage bow hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very small acreage bow hunting

Would it be worth it to try and put a feeder up and bow hunt less than 10 acres? Non wooded completely open area that backs up to a wooded area that has occasional deer. If you would what broadhead would you use? Compound bow or xbow for some extra knockdown? If it jumps the fence and runs 100 yards I can legally retrieve with landowners permission. Thinking about going ahead and at least setting up a feeder and trail cam just to see what shows up. Right now I’m only seeing a handful of deer at night just does.

I have one place that's 8 acres but is wooded. Has deer and pigs, gives me some critters to shoot at when I don't want to drive to my lease.

Put a feeder up and see what shows up, can't hurt. Keep a good relationship with your neighbor, you will have deer cross the fence and die.

Comment

I killed my first archery deer ever on a 10ac place! It’s doable, but it might be a good idea to have permission to track in neighboring properties worked out ahead of time just in case.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

He was building a barndo all last season so it wasn’t worth even trying. Now he’s halfway done and hasn’t been back since March. Would ideally get permission to put feeder and tripod up on his side but he’s eventually going to move in so any type of hunting will probably be over.

Comment

I hunted on a little 5 acre place in Lampasas as well as the 15 that was butted up to it owned by the same guy. Put a feeder on that 5 acres and would see all kinds of deer just passing through. You never know what will show up come rut. I'd go with a stinger buzz cut. From experience it flys truest to a field point for fixed blades. Either way a double lung shot should keep them from running too far. Haven't had one run over 20 yds with a double lung.

Comment

I would contact neighbor first to double check & make sure it will not be an issue on potential retrieval
            That way you don’t go through all the trouble setting up, feeding, etc
            And then if deer runs into neighbors place & you find out after the fact neighbor has an issue with it you have vested time & money and now frustrated or turns into bad blood

Comment

I’ve killed probably 30 deer with a bow over the last 20 years on 14 acres. I just set up in the middle and they have to run a couple hundred yards to get off our property in any direction. Shot placement is vital, and a broad head that will leave a good blood trail is almost as vital.

Comment

I hunt on 18 acres. Not a problem

Comment

Absolutely try it and see what comes out. I killed lots of deer in a 50’x100’ garden in my neighbors yard inside a subdivision.

Where there’s a will there a way. I hunt with Rage Hypodermics. They gets bad rap here, but I’ve had nothing but good luck on about 50 animals. Large wounds and short tracking jobs. Many fall in sight.

Comment

Awesome I’ll give it a try. If nothing else I’ll get to shoot a coon or 2 with my bow if the deer don’t hit it. Figured this year with lack of food they’ll come hard to the feeder since no one around me has a feeder.

Comment

Right this second the worlds largest deer is on a piece of land less than 10 square feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely worth it if neighbor is ok with you recovering deer.

I hunt six acres, mostly open. Dead deer count is in the 30 range, including two P&Y.

Comment

Your saying small aceage then your saying less then 10 and it all open. Do you know how many acres? All open means probably setting something up on the fence line.

Comment

I have 18 in the middle of a lot of acreage wooded , pond plenty of browse! As for myself with a bow it’s on the unethical side even with neighbors that wouldn’t have a problem with it. Definitely not 10 acres or less. I won’t even hunt it with a rifle. But that’s just me.

Comment

I had 5 acres with my old house and I killed deer on it every year. Never had one leave the property. I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X