Gun for bear hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun for bear hunt!

I am going bear hunting in April. Spoke to the guide and was told to expect shots out to 700 yards. It is spot and stalk. Anyways, speaking to the guide he said he prefers hunters to shoot 300 win mags. That is a lot of gun. Anyone with bear hunting experience have any thoughts on a caliber that will reach out there and still have some knock down power. Just do not want to buy a gun for one hunt. I own a .270, 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmore, .243, 30-30, .223 and do not know if any of these will get it done. I know shot placement will be key, as it is with any shot. I was thinking of picking up a 308, but do not know much about the caliber.

.270. And teach your guide how to cut the distance in half or less.

Comment

Buddy’s kill em all day with a 308…..never heard of them having to shoot more than 450 though.

I have a Wyoming bear hunt in May and will be taking a 308.

Comment

Buddy’s kill em all day with a 308…..never heard of them having to shoot more than 450 though.

I have a Wyoming bear hunt in May and will be taking a 308.

Comment

Black bear aren’t terrible hard to kill. Pretty much anything you listed I’d be fine with. Torso is thin ribbed and not too much different than ours. The bears I’ve killed died pretty easy.

Comment

get a 7mag

Comment

Take your 270 & practice out to 300-400 yards...I would prefer using the 30-30 you got & kill one open sights under 100yds if it were my hunt.

Comment

Yes per above is covers…stalk to under 300 yards which is reasonable, 270 is plenty & bears are softer than you think

Good luck

Comment

…is correct *

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    .270. And teach your guide how to cut the distance in half or less.
                    I would second this. 700 yards come on. Or find a bowhunter guide.

Comment

I’d go with the guides’ recommendation. He has made a living killing bears and not being killed by one.

Comment

700 yard sounds crazy unless in PNW/BC shooting across huge clear cuts. That being said, I generally like to show up with a chambering the guide (if knowledgeable--hopefully they are if I chose them) is comfortable with me using. Sounds like you may not be comfortable shooting a .300 WM. Borrow one and shoot. I know plenty women, kids and wormy men who shoot a .300 accurately without issue. :-)

Comment

I’ve only hunted bear with a bow but if I did use a rifle, I wouldn’t be afraid to use my .270. The guide I hunted with in Canada used a 30/06.

Comment

If the closest your guide can get you to a bear is 700 yds. my recommendation is to find another guide ! Shot placement is key- with a gun a .308 is adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                              If the closest your guide can get you to a bear is 700 yds. my recommendation is to find another guide ! Shot placement is key- with a gun a .308 is adequate.
                              This for sure!

700 yards???

Comment

Working...
                              X