Rifle accuracy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle accuracy question

Have a Remington model 700 chambered in 30-06. Have had it a long time. This past weekend I missed an 80 yd shot on a pig and it also was wandering around a 6 inch target when checking it after I missed the pig. (Both these things are not normal for my shooting ability).

I get home from the ranch and check the gun. I found that the 3 bolts on the bottom stock of the gun (2 on trigger guard and 1 on the fore stock) were about 3/4 a turn if not a bit more loose. Would that be loose enough to effect the accuracy or do I just suck that much at shooting now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      It is possible
      What's possible, sucking or loose bolts?

Comment

Well both but loose action bolts can and often do cause accuracy issues

Comment

Yes...tighten her up & go check.

Check scope mounts too.

Comment

Originally posted by clayree View Post
            What's possible, sucking or loose bolts?
            Depending on the day it might be both of these! On a 6 inch target I was left 3 inches, then dead on, then low 3 inches, the right and a little low…….for me I was all over and it was driving me nuts!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Yes...tighten her up & go check.

Check scope mounts too.
              I checked ever bolt on the gun. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to check it out again but I’m sure hoping that slightly loose bolts on the stock were the problem

Comment

Sounds like a scope issue to me. Check the scope mount and make sure everything is tight.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  Sounds like a scope issue to me. Check the scope mount and make sure everything is tight.
                  Agreed. Base loose, rings loose or bad scope. But I would snug the action screws
                  Never had mine work loose.

I didn’t notice what ammo you were shooting. I assume it was your regular loads.

BP

Comment

Yes and yes.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                      Yes and yes.

This
                      The 10/22 guys on RMF are all about this.
                      Probably ain’t you.

Comment

Yes it can. Its why a bolt action is more accurate than an automatic. Less moving parts. If those bolts were lose you created moving parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                          Agreed. Base loose, rings loose or bad scope. But I would snug the action screws
                          Never had mine work loose.

I didn’t notice what ammo you were shooting. I assume it was your regular loads.

BP
                          Scope is all tight. It’s a leupold and never given me any issues.

Was shooting Remington ammo. Yea my normal loads and grains

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post

Scope is all tight. It’s a leupold and never given me any issues.

Was shooting Remington ammo. Yea my normal loads and grains
                            How long as it been since you checked zero? I take my rifles out and make sure they're shooting good at the beginning of every huntin season. I know it don't seem like it but I really do think just riding around in the vehicle all season has some effect on accuracy. Especially if it's your go to rifle and it sees most of the action. It may just need zeroed and it'll be good to go.

After tightening the screws you found loose you may try again and adjust the scope if needed. See if it'll hold a group and call it good.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 07-31-2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Torque to 55 INCH lbs. No loktite. Check all scope screws as well as the bases. I do use loktite on these. Especially the bases. Fix it sticks are real handy for this. Make sure you push your action back in the stock before torquing

Comment

Working...
                              X