Single pin sight advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single pin sight advice

I have always shot multi pin sights. As I have gotten older I have noticed more blurring in my sight. I am considering trying a single pin sight. What sights do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance for the help.

About the best advice I can give you is go with a vertical pin. Gives a better field of view. As far as what brand or which sight, I think they all make a pretty good one.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

I use one out to around 35 yds just a regular tru glo, matthews Z7 extreme 65 lbs.....I'm not a target shooter and it works for me on deer and I have killed alot of them with this as in I've killed 5 in one sit and don't really have 40 plus yd shots but have an it's worked then as well......just like a rifle I sight high for closer shots and still in the money at longer ones

Comment

I shoot the Hogg Father. It’s tough and we’ll made..sure some others are too. I like the longer dove tail arm that scope mounts on, I had the Tommy Hogg before this one and really liked that one too.

I will say they’ve gone up like 100 bucks since I bought mine a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a axcel and hha. Both are solid.

Comment

I shoot a Montana Black Gold with the larger pin because I am old and have lousy eyes. Only drawback is the time it takes to range a target, dial the pin to the yardage and hope they are still close to the same spot. Hunting bucks in the rut when they are with a moving doe can be exasperating. Cost me a shot at a big buck in Kansas last season.

Comment

I would get one with a double pin. Especially for hunting, just to have that second reference if they do move. Spot hog, black gold, hha make one 2 pins and 2 indicators

Comment

I shoot the Spot Hog fast eddie double/ one pole pin sight (although I have one the bottom one taped off) and love it. The clear sight picture is great. Been shooting a single pin since 2010.

However the best piece of advice I can give you for the blurry pins is to look at getting a verifier peep sight wit a lens to sharpen them up. My old eyes were seeing 3-4 starlite pins on top of a pole where a single pin on top of a pole should have been. The verifier was a game changer for me and still is.

Here's a video explaining how it works. You might want to keep the sight you have after getting a verifier though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_s_lpHqHXo&t=127s"]Specialty Arch Verifier HD 2014 - YouTube[/ame]
                Last edited by Smart; 07-28-2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I have an HHA single pin and the Garmin xero. Both are easy on my 63 yr old eyes.

Comment

Hha
                    cbe

Comment

If you like your multi pins, try out the peeps that hold verifiers. There's numerous brands of them out there, but here's a demo. Your local archery shop may have the tool that will help you select the one you would need.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I shoot the Spot Hog fast eddie double/ one pole pin sight (although I have one the bottom one taped off) and love it. The clear sight picture is great. Been shooting a single pin since 2010.

However the best piece of advice I can give you for the blurry pins is to look at getting a verifier peep sight wit a lens to sharpen them up. My old eyes were seeing 3-4 starlite pins on top of a pole where a single pin on top of a pole should have been. The verifier was a game changer for me and still is.

Here's a video explaining how it works. You might want to keep the sight you have after getting a verifier though.

Specialty Arch Verifier HD 2014 - YouTube
                        I totally skipped past your post, unknown, and sent the exact video. [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my single pin and can reference shot inside 40 yds with it which is further than I ever shoot. I hunt deep hardwoods where 25 is my avg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone. I hadn’t thought of just one pin that is not adjustable. Most of my shots are within 30. Even though I usually practice longer. I have a couple of sights in the cabinet that I will pull all pins but one and see how it helps. What pin size do you recommend? I will also look at the verifier next time I am at the bow shop.

Comment

I have been using a single pin for about 10 years now and believe it has really helped with my consistency. Hunting deer around a feeder or in woods that keep you close there's obviously no problem. My new bow, Mathews VXR, shoots one pin out to 30 yards so I don't have much to worry about. I'll suggest this and may catch hell for it, but when I was going elk hunting this past year, I was shooting out to 40-45 yards using my first yardage on my site, 30 yard. I would shoot groups at 40 and 45 yards just figuring my hold over which wasn't much, 4-6 inches. I did this just in case I didn't have time to move my yardage as some here are raising as a concern.

Comment

Working...
                              X