Day Laborers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    I actually enjoy pulling weeds. The thought of getting payed to do it is interesting. I am pretty careful to determine what is a weed and what is not, and then I like to slowly and carefully pull the weed so you don't detach the base of the weed ( ex. yellow nutsedge) because then the weed will just pop back up in 3 days. I think I would be the best dam weed puller on that street corner.
    The right way. With those credentials you might get $300 a day!

Comment

Isn't it illegal to hire day labor if you know they're illegals?

I'm turning you guys in

Comment

I tried hiring some one time to haul hay. I thought they were union workers when they told me what they wanted!!

Comment

Cousin tried to hire some in Conroe a few years back. Said there was a woman coordinating the whole process and he was surprised by their going rates.

Comment

I made that mistake once. Hired 2 to help me throw some grass and they both quit on me after I fed them lunch. Apparently fried chicken and twice baked potatoes was the wrong lunch food! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
              Y’all realize this is unskilled labor? Anyone can pull a weed.
              Doesn't matter these days.

Comment

We have had some luck lately getting some kids from the High School football team. This is for clean up and landscaping, mulching, moving rocks. Take care of the coach and pay and feed them. Just have to learn to deal with high school teenagers. May even try a FFA or 4H kids

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  They're day laborers. Would you hold out taxes and provide insurance if you hired your neighbor's kid to mow your grass?
                  curt, I understand. I was just trying to make a point. If one of them gets hurt while working for you on your property, will his insurance pay for the medical bills? I doubt it. That will be up to you and your insurance to cover the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                    curt, I understand. I was just trying to make a point. If one of them gets hurt while working for you on your property, will his insurance pay for the medical bills? I doubt it. That will be up to you and your insurance to cover the bills.
                    I can't vouch for everyone but iv had a hand fall off of two 6 ft scaffolding frames. Flat on his back. He didn't want any medical attention and didn't work for weeks. We paid him some here and there and he's back now and one of our better hands. They don't want any unnecessary attention drawn to themselves.

Comment

FFA boys or girls at local HS.

Comment

Spray roundup.

Comment

Good for you!

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                          In 1986 I worked on a horse farm for $2.50/ hour because farm work was exempt from minimum wage laws. The minimum wage in 1986 was $3.35 / hour, which equates to $8.55 in 2022 dollars.

I just offered 5 American born neighbors $10 / hour to help me clear a fence line and build a fence. They worked 10 hours yesterday, with a 3 hour break in the afternoon. We fed them lunch, too. When they left, I paid them in cash $150 each, so $15 / hour because I appreciated their efforts. They loved the work, were glad to have work, and were totally shocked I kicked in another $50. In fact, one tried to tell me I counted out the cash incorrectly and tried to give me my money back.
                          I like rewarding hard workers too.

Comment

Spray weed killer on it and don’t worry about it. Tell the wife it’s just to hot and it’ll have to wait to till Fall.

Comment

Call ICE about 2 hours before quitting time

Comment

Originally posted by meangreen View Post
                                They’re a joke on the corner in Denton now. Most want $200 for a half day now. Ridiculous
                                Half day?? They can stand on a street corner and sweat. I would do it my self for that much!

Comment

Working...
                                X