Cotton seed heads up….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
    Cotton doesn't look to healthy where I have been up and down 77.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Nothing looks too good down there. Corn is stunted and milo is thin. Cotton needs rain for sure.

Comment

Headed to Fredericksburg today.........anywhere along the way have cottonseed in stock??? Westside of Austin would be ideal but will buy closer to Houston if that is my only choice. Need 1 or 2 pallets!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        Headed to Fredericksburg today.........anywhere along the way have cottonseed in stock??? Westside of Austin would be ideal but will buy closer to Houston if that is my only choice. Need 1 or 2 pallets!
        You check LC in Stonewall ?

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
          Cotton doesn't look to healthy where I have been up and down 77.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
          Or west in the Robtown, Banquete and Agua Dulce area. Most of the milo and corn fields I’ve seen are being stripped out and the the rest plowed over. Should be good for dove and early goose seasons. Cotton is half the size it should be and sparse at best.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
            You check LC in Stonewall ?
            The landowner did.......nada! We have never tried it but need something.

Comment

Oscar, buying it in bags is VERY inefficient and expensive! You can get Double Down / 50# bags for less money...
              Might check the gins around and see if they can sell you a super sack or two... More cottonseed and cheaper / pound that bagged...

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on a place between Victoria and Benavides to pick up the 1000# super bags? I know of a Gin outside Sinton but they close at 4pm I think and not open on Saturdays.

Bought a 1000# bag for $275 at a feed store outside Benavides back in April. Filled 6 feeders and expected it to last about 8 weeks. Nope, it was all gone in 6 weeks. Went back to the same feed store and paid $315 OUCH!! I've known this family for close to 30 years and they are good people but dang that's a bit of a jump.

On our place water seems to be the key. On the spots that had water troughs the deer attacked the cottonseed. The one spot without water they still ate but at a much slower pace. I don't see anything but deer eating the cottonseed. Coons, hog and even javalina dont touch it.... so far.

Comment

Muy grande and Freer Feed Store carries them.
                  I asked the cost the other day at Muy Grande and it was $325+/-
                  Also check with the Co-op in Orange Grove or The Post Outfitters also in OG.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Phil View Post
                    Anyone have any suggestions on a place between Victoria and Benavides to pick up the 1000# super bags? I know of a Gin outside Sinton but they close at 4pm I think and not open on Saturdays.

Bought a 1000# bag for $275 at a feed store outside Benavides back in April. Filled 6 feeders and expected it to last about 8 weeks. Nope, it was all gone in 6 weeks. Went back to the same feed store and paid $315 OUCH!! I've known this family for close to 30 years and they are good people but dang that's a bit of a jump.

On our place water seems to be the key. On the spots that had water troughs the deer attacked the cottonseed. The one spot without water they still ate but at a much slower pace. I don't see anything but deer eating the cottonseed. Coons, hog and even javalina dont touch it.... so far.
                    Dangit....8 weeks?
                    Our basket feeders will get emptied in less than 5 days on average. They are 49" wire, +/- 24" diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                      Muy grande and Freer Feed Store carries them.
                      I asked the cost the other day at Muy Grande and it was $325+/-
                      Also check with the Co-op in Orange Grove or The Post Outfitters also in OG.

Orange Grove, gezz, drive through there every trip and never thought about calling them! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Phil View Post
                        Orange Grove, gezz, drive through there every trip and never thought about calling them! Thanks.
                        I've been getting it from The Post (east of "town" on 624 a few miles). But they don't have any right now.
                        Don't know status of co-op, but worth a call

Comment

La Grange Farm & Ranch has whole cottonseed in 40lb sacks for $14.75

They had a couple of pallets on hand today

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Oscar, buying it in bags is VERY inefficient and expensive! You can get Double Down / 50# bags for less money...
                            Might check the gins around and see if they can sell you a super sack or two... More cottonseed and cheaper / pound that bagged...
                            Our very own TBHer got me covered. KarlUltramatic had it in stock in Waller. I got 10 bags at 40lbs each. He wanted me to try it first as some deer wont touch it as noted by others. Karl wanted me to get 2 or 3 bags, but I told him to give me 10 so we could do a good sample size around the ranch.

Comment

I have 160 acres of it on the stalks my deer like it right out of the field

Comment

Not sure who else might be looking for the 1000# bags but I found a few places that have them. All these places are south so might not be too helpful to those out west.

Hartendorf Gin outside Sinton told me they had a bunch @ 230 per bag
                                The Co-Op in Orange Grove told me that stopped carrying them. Too hard to find.
                                Coastal Plains Gin outside Mathis had 1 @ 220 which I bought. He is trying to get more but it's hard to find with the drought.
                                Brick's Hardware in Benavedis has some at 280 per bag.

The take away I got from all the places I called is that buik cottonseed is getting hard to find and with the drought it will only get worse. Several places told me that their local farmers are plowing under their cotton crops because they are all dying in the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X