Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Add Additional AC To Camper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Ever Add Additional AC To Camper?

In the camper for the week.

It’s a newer very nice camper 2021 model but man this AC is struggling from 10am-7pm.

Thinking of adding an additional AC in rear bunk room in in the 14”x14” vent space

Is that difficult?

Are they usually wired?

Thoughts?

Experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minisplit and yea It's well worth it

Comment

Funny, we have a 21 and we were just talking about the same. Ours is struggling in this heat!

Tagged.

Comment

How big of a trailer do you have and you currently only have 1 AC?

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post

28’

Comment

Yes one AC

Comment

If you trailer is 50 amp then it should be pre-wired for the second AC. I am shocked that the sell units in Texas with only 1 AC-heck I am thinking about added a 3rd to my fifth wheel

Comment

If you trailer is 50 amp then it should be pre-wired for the second AC. I am shocked that the sell units in Texas with only 1 AC-heck I am thinking about added a 3rd to my fifth wheel
                I may be mistaken.....
                But many of them, are not built in Texas..

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                  I may be mistaken.....
                  You aren’t mistaken. Most are built in Indiana.

I’m full timing in a 41’ 5th wheel and this is what I’ve done in the past and currently to help the A/C work better. Mine currently has two 15k BTU units.

1. I bought a big roll of Reflectix which is basically aluminum foil lined bubble wrap. On the inside of each window that faces south, or that the sun shines into, I cut out the reflectix to the same size as the window(NO GAPS!!!). Then using painters tape, I held the reflectix in place making sure there was no air gaps. With the window shades pulled down, you don’t see the reflectix at all which makes the wife happy.

2. Our A/C is ducted. I took down each duct and used aluminum duct tape to seal around the outlet of each duct to prevent the cool air from conditioning the air gap between the inside and outside roof.

3. If you have a Whisper Quiet system then this next step won’t work. For a traditional system, this provided the best improvement. Remove the filter housing and cover on the A/C. Both the intake and exhaust of the A/C are in the 14”X14” area and are separated by a flimsy piece of insulation. With using aluminum duct tape, both hold that flimsy divider and seal all the edges in place. If your system is ducted, also seal around the edges of the ducts to prevent conditioning of the space between the inner and outer roof. Before you put the covers back on, turn the A/C on and feel for any air leaks between the intake and exhaust sides. If you find any, seal them up!

4. Pre-cool the RV down early in the morning. If the inside is 5 degrees cooler starting off in the morning then by the evening it will be 1-3 degrees cooler depending on how well the RV is insulated.

5. If you have south facing rooms in your RV that aren’t being used then keep the doors closed to those rooms. We have a bunk room and a bathroom that faces south. So those doors stay closed during the hot times of the day.

6. Get some tower fans to help blow air on you. It can really make higher temps a lot more toerable.

With doing these things, we went from an inside temp of 88 degrees on a 100 degree day to an inside temp of 78 degrees with the outside temp of 104!!

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                    28’

12,000 or 15,000BTU ?

Our 31’ did fine with a single 15,000BTU

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                      I may be mistaken.....
                      I understand that but almost all will have an option of added a 2nd so why not just do it at the dealership

I have heard salesmen say “you will be good with just one” and I think to myself they have lost their dang mind

Comment

I understand that but almost all will have an option of added a 2nd so why not just do it at the dealership

I have heard salesmen say “you will be good with just one” and I think to myself they have lost their dang mind
                        Yep, this is Texas. Plan ahead.. Texas, is too...
                        Too hot
                        Too cold
                        Too wet or
                        Too dry...
                        If the option is avaliable to add extra AC, Do it !!

Comment

I’ve never heard of ANYONE ever complaining of having too much A/C in Texas in the summer!!!

Comment

Moser added one to his. I want to say he just wired in a plug outside. There is a DIY thread

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got 2 15,000 on my 28’, but it came pre wired and I had dealer install before pickup. My previous 28’ had a single 12,500 and it struggled in the summer

Comment

Working...
                              X