No announcement yet.

Time to restock the fly box…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sir are truly a skilled artisan with that vice!! Those are too pretty to lose in a nasty ol' trout's mouff!! Buddy of mine in Western PA got me hooked so to speak... Used to spend a lot of time in PA on the creeks, but really transitioned to salt here... A 30" red in 18" of water on a 9' rod is the equivalent of a 170" south Texas booner to me! It just don't get no better than that!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      You sir are truly a skilled artisan with that vice!! Those are too pretty to lose in a nasty ol' trout's mouff!! Buddy of mine in Western PA got me hooked so to speak... Used to spend a lot of time in PA on the creeks, but really transitioned to salt here... A 30" red in 18" of water on a 9' rod is the equivalent of a 170" south Texas booner to me! It just don't get no better than that!!

Appreciate the compliment. They are cheap, quick to tie so if they get lost I’ll have 5-6 more to replace them. Part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those flies do look very nice !

Makes me want tp get out my 5wt rod and go after the brown trout in the creek I have access to. Water is coming up and the fish should be hungry.

Comment

Those look really good. I've tied a few foam poppers out of my kids nerf gun darts recently with great success with the local perch.

Comment

those look great! clean!
            Are you doing bodies with quils or just finishing with wire? cant tell with the epoxy on them...

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
              those look great! clean!
              Are you doing bodies with quils or just finishing with wire? cant tell with the epoxy on them...

Wire or Veevus Quill thread, depends on the fly.

Comment

Those look amazing! I'm just now getting back into flyfishing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

One of the things I enjoy the most is finding “things” to tie flies with. Stopped by Hobby Lobby today and found some metallic polyester embroidery thread. It made a killer looking body after coating with UV glue

Comment

I can fling the long rod a little but I'm no fly fisherman. I'd like to try to make something like the Buggs lures for reds. Kind of a cross between a fly and a saltwater lure.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                      I can fling the long rod a little but I'm no fly fisherman. I'd like to try to make something like the Buggs lures for reds. Kind of a cross between a fly and a saltwater lure.

They wouldn’t be that hard to make, pretty simple tie. Hardest part would be finding a similar lead head to tie on

Comment

I hardly fish with flies that I haven't tied myself. Don't have any good photos to show right now though. I've tied tiny midges right on up through 9" bass streamers. Haven't busted out the fly tying gear in a few months. Archery seems to be getting in the way of my fishing, so the fly boxes are still full.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                          One of the things I enjoy the most is finding “things” to tie flies with. Stopped by Hobby Lobby today and found some metallic polyester embroidery thread. It made a killer looking body after coating with UV glue

Is that a #12 hook? Sucker looks tiny. My first fly my PA buddy showed me how to tie was a red ant and a black ant on # 12 barbless hooks to use in Oil Creek. Caught my first fish on the red ant… c creek chub (a little sucker fish)!! Then I caught a keeper trout on the black one. Loved it ever since!! That was about 1980 or so.

Comment

I tries to find a pic of a fly rylan tied. He had used up his materials and was looking. So he ended up in the chicken coop and the mis match sock pile.

He made a couple jigs and we caught crappie on old socks and chicken feathers

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Is that a #12 hook? Sucker looks tiny. My first fly my PA buddy showed me how to tie was a red ant and a black ant on # 12 barbless hooks to use in Oil Creek. Caught my first fish on the red ant… c creek chub (a little sucker fish)!! Then I caught a keeper trout on the black one. Loved it ever since!! That was about 1980 or so.

Comment

Those are some good ties man.

Comment

Working...
                                X