Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on nice hunting scope

Looking for a very nice hunting optic to put on my 7mag. Say under $1500
    Currently has a viper 6.5-20x44 that works fine but lacks a little at the upper magnification. SO im looking for hunting based optic i can shoot out to 500 max. Good clear glass, 3-15 power range. Good reticle for hunting not to busy
    and illuminated reticle or not? reality prob never shoot past 400 hunting so a good BDC type reticle or dial up the way to go?
    Looking at the
    Swaro Z5 opinions on the BT version
    Leupold VXD5 fire dot with CDS
    Zeiss V4 with the plex reticle and illum dot
    Any others to consider?

I have a Z3 3-10X42 on a diff gun so thought the Z5 might be a good option.

See if you can find a used Leupold MK5 5-25. I see some right around your budget on Snipershide

Comment

I just have a 4.5-14x40 VX3 on my 300wm.

Comment

Z5 is a good optic, I have one and really like it. Also have a VX5 that’s a really nice piece. If I had to choose I’d probably pick the VX5, plus I just really prefer the 30mm tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          Z5 is a good optic, I have one and really like it. Also have a VX5 that’s a really nice piece. If I had to choose I’d probably pick the VX5, plus I just really prefer the 30mm tube.

I think I’m leaning towards the VX5

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
            See if you can find a used Leupold MK5 5-25. I see some right around your budget on Snipershide
            This. I love em enough I bought more lol. Can easily be had at $1500 if you’re not picky on moa/mil and reticle options.

Far superior to the z3/z5 and vx5. Vx5 is a good hunting optic. I’m not real fond of any of the Swarovski stuff until you get into the z6 or above.

Comment

Vx5hd
              Don’t overlook trijicon credos and tenmiles

Comment

Burris Eliminator. My buddy has one. Pretty dang sweet scope. Another buddy of mine had one on a 7mm but it got stolen. He only got to kill one animal with it but it was an antelope at around 700 yards.

If I'm spending that kind of cash that scope better do most of the work for me. That scope does. With that set up you can kill animals all day at 400 yards easy.
                Last edited by okrattler; 09-27-2022, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
                  I think I’m leaning towards the VX5

Get one. I bought my first about 6 years ago, second one to put on my new 7 mag this year. My first one has been fantastic and I've piled up the animals to make a believer out of me. Get the CDS. Do it right and give Leupold good data, you won't be sorry.

Comment

For a hunting scope where long range and dialing is not a priority, of the ones you mentioned Swarovski hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m typically a Leupold guy but I picked up a Leica Amplus to put on my new Dasher build and I’m def impressed!

Comment

Look at the Huskemaw.

Comment

I just put a vx5 3-15 on my .300 Wm and also a 6.5 prc after shooting my brothers on his 7mm mag. Chrono'd both guns and their ammo, sent the info to Leupold. Installed the turrets, went to the 600 yd range. both hit at 610 no prb with a 10-15 mph wind right to left. Zero issues with them, big fan of the ease of use. I Have the windplex reticle for holdover on wind. Let a buddy use my 300 for an Elk hunt next week, he took it to the range yesterday. One shot 500 yards, dead center of the plate, he put it in the case.

Comment

Most years my hunting rifles get hard use. FS roads, hiking 9 to 15 miles a day. Even been known to be strapped to backpack while riding a dirt bike. Under $1500 I am using NF shv f1.

Comment

Zeiss Conquest V6

Comment

Working...
                              X