Earth Anchors...anyone ever use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Anchors...anyone ever use them?

I'm needing to anchor down a couple of deer stands pretty soon with a guy wire system. Never been a big fan of just using t-post. These look like they would work. Anybody have any experience using them?

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAb-rIkUrME"]Duckbill Earth Anchors Introduction Video - YouTube[/ame]

Cant get to the vid right now... but I've used those simple ground anchors from tractor supply to anchor structures.

Comment

We have used t-post and turn buckles and never had any problems.

I have also used the base of a large cedar along with turn buckles and it worked great too.

Comment

Anyone ever use them in rocky areas...wonder how hard they are to drive? New lease has quite a bit.

Comment

We've always used t-post or rebar cut to 2-3' lengths and driven into ground at an angle with just a few inches exposed. Make your cuts at a 45 degree angle and immediately quench the cut end in water to make it easier to drive them in rock.

Comment

Bringing this up to see if anyone has used these? Seems like it would work good. 12 of them on Amazon is 79$

Comment

Tower stands we use one screw in anchor directly below the stand and ratchet strap from each corner to the anchor. pulls the blind down and in from the corner.

10 years and lots of different blinds put up and not a single one blown over. A few crappy ones blew off the platform but the base was still up

Comment

We use them. depending on the soil, stand, etc... I buy larger than I think. Almost always use a 4" auger, and the longer the shaft, the stronger the hold. These really hold well. While a T-Post may work fine, these will hold better.

Comment

I’ve never had a problem with 1 t post and some barbed wired doubled and cinched down.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    Anyone ever use them in rocky areas...wonder how hard they are to drive? New lease has quite a bit.
                    I do not think they would work well in rocky ground if you are referring to hill country type rocky ground.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                      We turned one of those screw types in under a stand once to hold it and when we moved the stand we had to dig that sucker up with a backhoe.

Comment

Never seen those before. I would bet some soils they work great in, and other not so great, but probably work in most all soils, I can see those anchors not flipping 90 degrees in all soils, or not holding well in soft soils. They likely to work very well in multiple types of soil.

I like to use those anchors that look like auger bits, that you twist into the ground. But those are probably near impossible to get into the ground in rocky areas. I get them from Tractor Supply, they have multiple different sizes. I use them to anchor my feeder down. We had a very large bull on our property, that like to beat the crap out of my feeder. He would lift it up with his head, then knock it over. He was tall enough he would be hitting the housing the timer and battery are in, when he walked under the feeder.

I fixed him, I used three of those anchors you twist into the ground and then three ratchet straps. Then had to drive stakes under the feeder legs, because I was pulling the legs down into the ground, with the ratchet straps. After all of that, the bull was never able to knock the feeder over again. ****** him off, he knocked it over and busted the top off two or three times, before I did that. After I tied it down, he was only able to smash my timer and knock the cover off of it. He finally left the feeder alone, once he realized he was wasting his time trying to knock the feeder over.

I know we used to tie down some very tall tower stands with those anchors and air craft cable. But we never tried getting those things into rock, think that might be near impossible.

I have a couple of them I carry around with me, when I think I might need my winch to pull my truck out. Luckily I have not had to use them. If I were to ever stick the truck and not have anything around that was close enough to hook the winch to, that would be solid enough to pull the truck out with. I have those anchors I can run into the ground, then run a cable, that has eyes on both ends. Then hook the hook on the end of the winch line, in the eyes of the cable. Not really worried about the anchors coming out of the ground, more worried about the eye on the top of the anchor straightening out. One of these days, I need to weld those eyes closed, so they can not straighten out. The I should be good with only one anchor.

Comment

I have always used the screw type and they are a PIA. I just moved my little cabin to a new lease and need to anchor it down and these look like they are a lot easier to drive in. Just wondering if anyone has any real experience with them.

Comment

They are used to tie down mobile homes. I used one on the stand I built for my BNL in the DIY forum.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              They are used to tie down mobile homes. I used one on the stand I built for my BNL in the DIY forum.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                              You used the duckbill posted above or the screw type?

Comment

Working...
                              X