458 yard shot on giant Aoudad, Devils' River Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

458 yard shot on giant Aoudad, Devils' River Area

I got back from an Aoudad hunt in the Devils’ River area Monday. We hunted the Hudspeth River Ranch outside of Comstock. The ranch has the headwaters of the Devil’s River on it. They took us to it where there are several springs just flowing out of the ground. That in itself was pretty cool.
    Sheep hunting is a different experience, lots and lots of walking and climbing. The scenery was awesome, rugged, and unforgiving. I’m still pulling cactus out of my legs.

I teamed up with an old friend of mine from Alabama and gave him the opportunity for the first shot. It took us three days to find a shooter ram, the ranch rules are that they have to be at least 30” to shoot. Patrick made a 458 yard shot over a canyon and killed the ram instantly. The ram took a leap and fell about 20 feet down a cliff. It was a pretty crazy sight. If you listen in the video you can hear the bullet hit the ram about three seconds after the rifle fires. It was 32.5” on the strong side and the other was broomed off a bit.

I was up to shoot next but we never found another ram over 30”. On the last day and last hour we found the biggest herd of the entire hunt. We found about 40 aoudad and made a sprint down a mountain and looped around to get in place. I set up at 500 yards but the guide estimated the biggest ram to be 28-29” and didn’t want to chance shooting an undersized ram. I had to pass.
    We stumble on this Rock Rattler, I've never seen this snake before.
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

It’s addicting! I’m already looking at another hunt. I’m looking at Davis Mountain area for different scenery. It was a great experience and will test you as a hunter.
    Last edited by bowhunterhelm; 09-21-2022, 06:25 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Wow super cool. Congrats to your bud.

Comment

Pretty cool! Good shooting

Comment

Man, I bet that was an AWESOME hunt. Congrats to your bud on a heck of a shot on a really nice ram !!!

Comment

Awesome hunt and that looks like a lot of work put in by you guys. Congrats!

Comment

DIY through an outfitter? WTHO?

Comment

Epic.

Comment

Dude congratulations. I am glad everything worked out for you. You had the privlidge to hunt a little slice of heaven. We have burned some boot leather on that ranch. The raw beauty is awesome. Looked like you stayed in Claudia Ball's house the former owner who passed away. That lady has some fantastic Texas history in her. I hoped you got to learn some things about her.

Comment

Looks like an amazing trip.

Comment

Awesome!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                              Dude congratulations. I am glad everything worked out for you. You had the privlidge to hunt a little slice of heaven. We have burned some boot leather on that ranch. The raw beauty is awesome. Looked like you stayed in Claudia Ball's house the former owner who passed away. That lady has some fantastic Texas history in her. I hoped you got to learn some things about her.
                              We did, we found a cemetery on the ranch and I believe she was buried in there. Apparently she was quite the hunter herself.

Comment

Working...
                              X