Richland Creek- Trinity ‘22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to everyone who was drawn for this hunt. Tough place to hunt but one of my favorites.

I was drawn for this one on 10/14-23. I’ve hunted there the previous 2 years but 2 years ago was for 1 day due to family issues. Last year was incredibly hot and when I left only 1 deer had been taken i believe. I’m planning on putting in more work scouting this year to maybe improve my odds and had 1 question….

Are you allowed to use ATVs when scouting or is it foot traffic only except during hunts? From what I remember a couple of years ago all of the gates to the roads were locked when I visited in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have hunted there twice myself. I went up weekend before one year and same thing all gates outside the main road in we’re locked. After talking to staff that is typical.

Comment

The people in charge there like to keep it as their own personal play ground.

Comment

I also drew the same hunt. I want to try and plan a scouting trip before then. I have one question. Do they place you in a compartment or is it free for all. If so you would basically have to scout the entire area and have spots per compartment. Since you don't know where you will be placed

Comment

The E-postcard archery hunts I have been to have been setup as entire area.

Comment

When I won this hunt back in 2020 they didn’t specify an area or compartment in the PDF after you accept the permit.

Comment

First hunt last year was compartment. Second was a free for all

No atv except during hunt times

Comment

Last year first hunt they switched to 4 compartments. North of the road was walkin compartment for those w/out atvs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Phorizt; 09-05-2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Yes. Second hunt all compartments we’re open. 1 was set aside for walk in only. Everything else you could drive you truck to if you wanted

Comment

anyone have any idea how wet it is out there right now? I'm gonna try to get out and scout this weekend.

Comment

I actually talked to them today. They said it’s very wet and are having to drain some water out of some places. They had like 6 inches rain all weekend

Comment

That area did get pounded. I’d imagine you will be 6” taller if you walk around your truck once. But it’s gumbo… it dries out quick if it’s not under water

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                          anyone have any idea how wet it is out there right now? I'm gonna try to get out and scout this weekend.

It’s very wet
                          Was there this past wknd and we got another couple of inches sunday
                          Small tornado came through and ripped lost of
                          The roof off the cafe at fisherman’s point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I went over to RC and spent half a day wandering around. Lots of standing water still it looks like on the north end but once I headed South it wasnt so bad. insane amounts of skeeters out there right now. If all of the ones swarming around me would have been working together they probably could have picked me up and carried me all the way to Cayuga. Had an exciting moment when I got waaaayyy too close to the 2nd biggest cottonmouth I’ve ever seen. One more half step and I would have found out how well my snake gaiters work.

Looks like they have a good fawn crop this year as I saw quite a few does w fawns but I’m pretty sure there are no bucks there lol. At least not in any of the areas where I have scouted/hunted over the past few years. Still appears to be approximately 200 pigs per square mile.

Comment

Interesting about all the water, I own a farm on the river about 6 miles south of the lake and we are dry as a bone, no water standing anywhere, ground is dry, river did get out a bit and back up some creek water, but we could sure use some rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X