Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
Diamond S
Ten Point

Cool Polaris ranger help

So let me break this down. I have a 2019 1000 xp Northstar Edition. I noticed a while back that the inside of the drivers side front tire was wearing pretty bad. I noticed the toe was way off so I set the toe to as straight as I possibly could and it did not help much. I dug a little deeper and found that the same tire is leaning in at the top maybe 1/4 inch from square, the passenger side is leaning out at the top maybe 1/8 of an inch. There is no excessive noise/clunks/ rattles or squeaking.

Here is what I have done so far to try and find out why.

Jacked the front end up and checked the wheel bearings with the 12 and 6 shake as well as the 9 and 3.

Put a pry bar under each tire and listen for loose/worn parts making noise.

Pulled the front tires and took the shock loose and pushed the upper and lower A Arms in every direction.

Pre loaded the shocks.

rotated the front tires and checked square again ( they did the identical lean as before )

Checked tie rod ends.

Visually inspected the A Arms to be bent ( upper and lower )

Inspected the axels by rotating the hub and looking for a bend or bow.

None of the above revealed any kind of loose or worn part.

I know Polaris is known for the tires to lean in a little from the way they are designed and that there is no camber adjustment on a stock model. I am at a dead end trying to find the problem. Anyone have the same issue/s
Diamond S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
eradicator
Pope & Young

Buddy of mine on same ranch had his lug bolts sheared off due to similar issue. He's had nothing but problems with his since day 1. It's a beast and gets abused, but constantly in the shop.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

So they are both leaning the same way? Hmmm

My back wheelís definitely lean in a bit towards the machine. Have you checked the PRC forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #4
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Run your finger and hand down the lower A-arms. We had one bent a while back. hard to notice without feeling it or measuring it. Turns out kid that works on the ranch ran into post with it. I could see it happening from hitting a pot hole reel bad. Granted these where arched Aarms and IMO the seem weaker as they are formed already. FWIW he leveled a 2-3/8 post concreted in the ground so IMO the ranger took it pretty dang good.

i would also call a shop and see what recommended toe in is. I would bet you should be 1/4-1/8 in toe in.

Between me and my dad we have had a bunch of rangers so ive been through them.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #5
dclifton
Pope & Young

Do the A arms measure same from one side to the other or appear to be the same on both sides? i wonder if someone got the A arms mixed up at the factory from one model to the next?

Top of the tires leaning in a little is common on independent suspensions on atv and UTV. leaning out on pssg side seems odd.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:34 PM   #6
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythunter02 View Post
So they are both leaning the same way? Hmmm

My back wheelís definitely lean in a bit towards the machine. Have you checked the PRC forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is one way of putting it. but if you are talk about each side separately, then the drive is leaning in at the top and the passenger is leaning out at the top. I have looked at a few PRC threads and they have been no help so far.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #7
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Adjustable control arms is the only "real" solution I've found. I also have a set in the classifieds. Shameless Plug.
TreyRo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 04:40 PM   #8
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
Run your finger and hand down the lower A-arms. We had one bent a while back. hard to notice without feeling it or measuring it. Turns out kid that works on the ranch ran into post with it. I could see it happening from hitting a pot hole reel bad. Granted these where arched Aarms and IMO the seem weaker as they are formed already. FWIW he leveled a 2-3/8 post concreted in the ground so IMO the ranger took it pretty dang good.

i would also call a shop and see what recommended toe in is. I would bet you should be 1/4-1/8 in toe in.

Between me and my dad we have had a bunch of rangers so ive been through them.
I will try that and see if I notice anything. As far as the toe setting, would being zero cause what is happening to happen? ( if that made sense ) I also seem to remember I read that the setting was 1/8 to 1/4 in
Old 01-24-2023, 04:59 PM   #9
dclifton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond S View Post
I will try that and see if I notice anything. As far as the toe setting, would being zero cause what is happening to happen? ( if that made sense ) I also seem to remember I read that the setting was 1/8 to 1/4 in
Not that drastically. I mean its not like the tire is going to start wearing evenly after a few miles. And i dont think 1/8 in will cause it to miraculously make the tires stand straighter. There is some other cause for that i think. tracking to straight will usually make it feel wavy at higher speeds.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:03 PM   #10
dclifton
Pope & Young

Also when jacked up. Everything is pried down so much in my experince its hard to notice any slack in the front hub area. Be it ball joints bushing or bearings. You might pull hubs and inspect if you dont find anything else. Did you check hub for slack by grabbing and shaking when you had the front strut off. Usually between the strut and axle fighting each other when jacked all the way up its hard to tell much if that makes sense?
Old 01-24-2023, 05:42 PM   #11
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Here ya go.
Attached Images

Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 07:39 PM   #12
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Here ya go.
Thanks, I will do that to get it as close as I can to specs.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:50 PM   #13
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Also when jacked up. Everything is pried down so much in my experince its hard to notice any slack in the front hub area. Be it ball joints bushing or bearings. You might pull hubs and inspect if you dont find anything else. Did you check hub for slack by grabbing and shaking when you had the front strut off. Usually between the strut and axle fighting each other when jacked all the way up its hard to tell much if that makes sense?
Yes I really tried to get something to show itself. I did not pull the hub, but I had the tire off while pushing pulling and moving everything side to side. Last night I thought the wear on the inside of the tire may be letting the tire lean, but when I swapped sides with the tires today, everything remained the same. I need to replace the tires on it because of the rough treatment they have had with my lease being in San Angelo. I have wet spots all over the tires from the slime being pushed out from mesquite and cactus I have ran over but I don't want to drop a grand on new ones with this problem.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:53 PM   #14
HTOWN
Ten Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

I know if the bushings in the A arms get wore out, that will allow the tires to toe in at the top.
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #15
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWN View Post
I know if the bushings in the A arms get wore out, that will allow the tires to toe in at the top.
That is what I hear also, but I called myself checking them with the pry bar as well as taking the shock loose and trying to see or hear slop in a bushing. I canít see or hear anything. It is like I am chasing a ghost. Nothing is adding up.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #16
dclifton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond S View Post
That is what I hear also, but I called myself checking them with the pry bar as well as taking the shock loose and trying to see or hear slop in a bushing. I canít see or hear anything. It is like I am chasing a ghost. Nothing is adding up.
A arm bushings are easy to tell. And I doubt yours are bad yet unless itís just got tons of miles on it. Has it always seemed off?
Old 01-24-2023, 10:27 PM   #17
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
A arm bushings are easy to tell. And I doubt yours are bad yet unless itís just got tons of miles on it. Has it always seemed off?
It has a couple thousand, not what I would say a lot being a 19 that is babied. I donít have any rough driving time on it. Yes I have picked my way thru some nasty stuff, but no jumping, no air time, slow and easy thru low water crossings, only time it gets over 5 to 10 mph is on pavement and then only up to about 40mph just to clear the tires of mud. Yes I have pulled a trailer loaded up pretty good, yes I have loaded the bed with 10-15 40 pound pigs I killed in a trap and yes I have had 4-500 pounds of corn in the bed filling feeders. But that is all weight that in my mind should have been a problem for the rear tires not the front.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:47 PM   #18
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville and Brazoria

Strapping it down on a trailer with straps through the wheels can pull the front ends out of square too. Buddy did that with his Ranger a couple times before we figured it out. He’d strap the back via the receiver hitch/frame to the rear trailer pocket stakes and run a strap through the front wheels to the trailer. Then tighten them all down with the ratchet.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2023, 08:04 AM   #19
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejashoot View Post
Strapping it down on a trailer with straps through the wheels can pull the front ends out of square too. Buddy did that with his Ranger a couple times before we figured it out. Heíd strap the back via the receiver hitch/frame to the rear trailer pocket stakes and run a strap through the front wheels to the trailer. Then tighten them all down with the ratchet.
I know this is hard on the winch, but when I haul it I have a chain running across the front of the trailer that I hook the winch to and will put a little pressure on it. Then a 2 inch strap over the ball hitch in the back to each side of the trailer and get it as tight as I can, then back to the winch and tighten it a little more. It rides really well and I still have plenty of play in the suspension.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #20
Diamond S
Ten Point

Angry And the saga continues.........

So yesterday I decided to replace the Ball joints to see if that would help out, well it did not. I did pull the lower A Arm and found a little water intrusion on the lower bushing. Cleaned everything up greased it and put it back together and still have the same lean. I was going to do the passenger side also just so they would both be new..............then along came Murphys law. I removed the bottom bolt holding the caliper on, went to remover the top bolt and it just spins, will not back out, will not tighten up, just spins. I tried everything I know short of drilling it out and had no luck. So as of now I have new ball joints and brakes on the drivers side front, new brakes on the back ( both sides ) a stripped out bolt or threads in the hub on the passenger side front, and still the same lean on the drivers side. I can't seem to catch a break with this issue.