Outfitting a Gold Star kiddo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outfitting a Gold Star kiddo

Hey guys, this is uncomfortable for me, so bare with me, I'm not good asking for help. I always feel like a beggar.

Many of you have read about the organization I've been supporting the last couple of years, Headwaters for Heroes. My neighbor Shawn, a Purple Heart recipient himself, turned me onto them and I've just been blown away. This group is dedicated to helping our combat wounded vets, but their real passion is working with Gold Star kiddos, taking them hunting and fishing, but more than anything, mentoring them. There've all lost a parent, mostly dads, and many just don't have a stable father figure. Nobody to take them hunting, or teach them those skills we all attribute to our pops (both outdoor skills, and just life skills in general).

Shawn came to me this week with a request for one of the boys and I'm trying to help. Apparently, the boy has been invited on a blackbuck hunt by the organization, but he doesn't have a rifle. Mom has been out of work since Covid started so times are tough for them right now. I don't know if they have other needs, this is what was brought to me, so it's what I'm helping with. I met the boy and his mom last weekend and they're great people. Mom said last weekend around other Gold Star families was the first time she'd seen the boy really happy in a very long time. He lost his dad at the age of 7, in 2014. He's now a sweet but shy 13 year old.

Of course, the ranch would surely loan him a rifle, but we'd like to get him into his own rifle since he has many more years of eligibility with the organization. I started looking through the shop and I had almost all the parts needed to put him together a nice rifle so that's what we're doing. I'm not trying to make any money at all on the deal, but a little help with parts would go a long way. I've donated a Remington action, custom barrel and bottom metal as well as all my labor. We're lacking a good stock (m5 inlet to match the bottom metal I have) , trigger, optics and mounts though, as well as a sling, case etc.

We're going to make it happen one way or another, but I'm coming to the brotherhood here to humbly ask for assistance. I know a lot of you are probably struggling too, but for those who aren't, if you can spare anything, I'd appreciate it. I've seen the outpouring of love from this group in the past, so I'll just say thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Awesome gesture Sir.

Don't know too much about rifles so not sure how much $ it takes to put a quality one together. I don't currently do the electronic money transfer apps but if you will PM me your address I can help out with $100 if cashing a check is not too much to ask. Thanks again for what you are doing.

Comment

No shame in asking for $ for a good cause.

Put up a PayPal or GFM so it's easy for us to donate.

I'm in for 50.

please excuse brevity and dictation errors.

Comment

I will PM anyone who needs my address, and if you'd rather pm me than posting in'n this thread, that's perfectly fine too.

I just heard from my neighbor that he's been getting donations as well, so being that we have two people soliciting, IF we go over the needed funds, we want to give any extra money to mom to help out with living expenses and what not or get him clothes, whatever is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
          No shame in asking for $ for a good cause.

Put up a PayPal or GFM so it's easy for us to donate.

I'm in for 50.

Great idea, I didn't even consider how to get funds sent in.

My PayPal is txfireguy2003@gmail.com, but please don't mention anything to do with a gun. If you include a note, call it "Gold Star". Thanks.

Comment

PM inbound

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
              Great idea, I didn't even consider how to get funds sent in.

My PayPal is txfireguy2003@gmail.com, but please don't mention anything to do with a gun. If you include a note, call it "Gold Star". Thanks.

Make sure your PayPal account is verified. Funds sent but got message it might be delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                Make sure your PayPal account is verified. Funds sent but got message it might be delayed.

Funds recieved, PayPal account is good, it just had a couple expired credit cards on it still. I seldom ever use it.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Bump to the top for a good cause

Comment

Sent................

Comment

Thanks to everyone! We're getting there!

Comment

May I ask where the rifle will be kept after the hunt? Thinking along safety lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            May I ask where the rifle will be kept after the hunt? Thinking along safety lines.

That's a good question, and one I can't answer specifically. I would say that storage will be handled by Mom until he is old enough to manage that himself. We are planning a safety day at the range for these kiddos as well, where they'll get safety training as well some trigger time to hone their shooting skills.

Comment

I have several Remington rails and bases. Shoot me a PM with your number and I’ll send some pictures of what I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X