Best way to clear cedar w/ tractor loader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clear cedar w/ tractor loader

I have 25ac between Kerrville and Harper, I’m wanting to clear some cedars in the back. I’d like to remove them completely because I want to plant some food plots or let natural browse grow.

My father-in-law gave me his old tractor (he is getting on in age and it was he second tractor). It’s a 1959 Massy Ferguson 202 work Bull.

My son and I tried to clear the cedars with it and it being my first try, we need a better strategy. The large multiple trunk cedars seemed to not flinch when I drove the loader into them. I pushed and just broke off some limbs. I tired to lift at the base and could get enough “grip” to do anything.

I ended up just breaking several and cutting the rest with the chainsaw. But I’d like to remove the stumps.

The smaller 4-5” diameter cedars I was able to push over and chain up to, then lift out of the ground.

What do I need to do to get better at this? Different attachment? Grubber of some sort? I have a disk I can put on the back to give me more weight there, and I’m looking into putting weight in the tires. I feel the tractor can do it, I’m just not a knowledgeable operator to get it done.

If you want them out right now, wrap a chain around them up as high as you can and pull them over. If you have some time, cut the limbs off and leave the trunk sticking up 5' or so. After they die they will push over easily. But the key is leaving the trunk high so you can push on the top getting some leverage. I’ve cleared a ton this way.

Comment

We used to push em over with a Z-71 pickup in 4low..Homemade bumper.Bump,bump,and push a little harder each time..Shallow roots,and pile em up with a small tractor.Nothing like messing with a mesquite tree.That tree would tear a truck up!!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good way to tear up a loader....use a chain and fill the bucket so the tractor has more weight

Comment

My cousin in Brady made the Grub N Rake. It attaches to skid steers. Check it out. May attach your your tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
            Good way to tear up a loader....use a chain and fill the bucket so the tractor has more weight

That’s a good point. I’ll fill the bucket. Thanks

Comment

Hire a dozer and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                If you want them out right now, wrap a chain around them up as high as you can and pull them over. If you have some time, cut the limbs off and leave the trunk sticking up 5' or so. After they die they will push over easily. But the key is leaving the trunk high so you can push on the top getting some leverage. I’ve cleared a ton this way.
                This. You won't get the bigger trunks/roots up with that tractor.

Also if they're smaller then just chain. Don't bother pushing. And if you use multiple chains hook on 3-5 trees at once staggered a little.

It's slow going but once you get a feel for exactly what the tractor can do it goes much faster.

Also easier when the ground is moist.

Comment

Put bucket high. Push on tree. Go to other side and repeat. I wouldn’t ram into it. Just push or rock it with the clutch. I’ve done a bunch. Shallow roots. Break a few then move around tree.

Comment

and just a note of caution that may seem overly obvious but many of us trip up....dont break the tractor; then you have nothing but an expensive repair to take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      This. You won't get the bigger trunks/roots up with that tractor.

Also if they're smaller then just chain. Don't bother pushing. And if you use multiple chains hook on 3-5 trees at once staggered a little.

It's slow going but once you get a feel for exactly what the tractor can do it goes much faster.

Also easier when the ground is moist.

Yes, I’m following. I can try that. I’ll be up there this weekend and I’ll try that. I’m not looking to clear all of it in one day or anything, I just want to make progress and get the stump/root out.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                        and just a note of caution that may seem overly obvious but many of us trip up....dont break the tractor; then you have nothing but an expensive repair to take care of.

Yes, good point. Another reason I thought, “I’m doing this wrong”. “I need some knowledge before I break something”.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel185 View Post
                          Yes, I’m following. I can try that. I’ll be up there this weekend and I’ll try that. I’m not looking to clear all of it in one day or anything, I just want to make progress and get the stump/root out.
                          If you chain high (5-7') and the cedar breaks without pulling up roots you'll need to chainsaw off as mentioned in one of the first replies. After a year or two you can push it over.

There's not much else you can do except push from different sides over and over.

I'd personally go for bulk smaller trees and rip them out so you have more room to work.... You can come up to my ranch and help me pull trees for a couple days Free experience

Comment

As many have said this is a tough job with any tractor! If you want them out now dozer or a cedar eater type attachment on a skid steer. But like some have said if you have time and dont mind the trunk sitting there use the chain saw cut all the limbs off and leave a high trunk and come back next year and pull them over.
                            I learned the hard way at my buddies in Pipe Creek. Its a lot of work but just use the bucket to pile up your limbs. Good luck and drink some beer burning the piles.

Comment

The key to removing a cedar tree is ground moisture.

Too wet or too dry and you need bigger or different equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X