Confederate Statue/Monument Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confederate Statue/Monument Question

This is an honest question fellas and I’m not looking to start any fights. I am a proud Texan, a former Marine Corps Scout/Sniper Section Leader, a firm believer in our Constitution and our Bill of Rights, and an avid student of our American history.

I have always been sympathetic to the Confederacy but I wonder if that is just because I’m from The South. I have always thought of Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, James Longstreet, JEB Stuart as heroes.

Here is the question I want to ask. Should we be really be making a fight over statues and monuments that honor men that were committed to the breakup of the United States? I understand their reasoning and truly believe that while slavery was a contributing factor to The Civil War, it wasn’t what the average CSA soldier fought for.

Are we are on the right side by opposing the removal of monuments that pay tribute to men that fought against the United States? I personally don’t think they should be removed but how do you guys feel. I’ve found myself wondering if I am right or wrong. Is it the right fight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statues don’t bother me, as long as you don’t put one of Obama in my yard!
    On a serious note, it’s History.....leave them

Comment

I honestly think the amount of people offended by a statue is miniscule. They just scream the loudest and for the most part, don't know why they are tearing stuff down or burning things. Most people with a brain can look at a statue, understand that is a person from history (regardless of what they did) and move on. At this point, my concern is that is will never stop.... NEVER. They won't be happy with statues, gun laws, rights, etc. THey destory something and move on to the next thing, there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Comment

They have already proven it has nothing to do with the Confederacy or racism. It is simply about erasing history. If they would have stuck with Confederate statues maybe there would have been a conversation to be had.

Kind of like the George Floyd thing to begin with. Pretty much the whole country agreed that was a screwed up ordeal. Fine, lets have a conversation. Nope. They went straight to burning, looting and destroying. No more conversation to be had.

Should tell you all you need to know about real motives.

Edit to add: A lot of those men had a life which contributed to this nation before fighting for the confederacy.
        Last edited by Clay C; 07-07-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Slavery played a part in the Civil War, there is no doubt. Having said that, most Southerners fought against government over reach. They also fought for their State, in a time when the State governments were more important to society than the federal government. The memoirs of Robert E. Lee and many other leaders in the Confederacy show how difficult it was for them to fight against the Union, but they couldn’t fight against their friends and family of their State.
          If Texas decided to break away tomorrow, I’d have to side with my fellow Texans, my friends, and my family. That is hard to fathom, but it is what I would do.
          I don’t know the answer to all that is going on, but erasing history isn’t the answer.

Comment

I don't think most people thought about them at all till removing them became an issue. There is one in Bonham where I grew up on the corner of the courthouse. I never knew who or what the statue represented. Really not a big issue to me. Now if the start talking about Washington DC statues(Abe, George....),, , I'll have a problem with it.

Comment

Most statues I've ever encountered usually went something like this...

"Ah, so that's what ________ looked like. Nice sculpting work....

What's for lunch?"

Comment

I think all our statues and history are important. The mistakes, struggles and hard times that has shaped this country into what it is today is a very important thing to not be forgotten.

Comment

It isn't about the Confederacy....that has already been proven when they want to tear down statues of U.S. Grant and did tear down a stature of Frederick Douglas. The time spent tearing down statues would be better spent in a history class learning about that they are trying to erase. There is so much hatred now for Thomas Jefferson now but what Glenn Beck talked about in regard to him was amazing. One of the original drafts of the Declaration of Independence was found around 1947 and in it Jefferson actually wanted to eliminate slavery in the newly formed United States. The representatives from all 13 original colonies had agreed that anything they came up with had to be unanimously accepted and the elimination of slavery was agreed on by all but two of the original colonies. The two colonies that were against it....were Georgia and South Carolina. Because of that it was dropped from the Declaration of Independence.

Comment

All I can tell you is there ain't a racist bone in my body, but I am proud of my Southern Heritage. I thank God regularly for allowing me to be born and raised in Texas and to travel around this country and in fact the world just enough to realize just how fortunate and blessed I am to be a TEXAN. Those statues are part of my heritage. I nor my family owned slaves. In fact, my grandfather and father both worked as common workers for a period in the cottonfields and cornfields in Cherokee and Angelina counties right along side blacks that were as close to them as family and they all would have given anything for each other's safety. I was in high school when the schools were "desegregated". In Lufkin where I went to school, the "black" high school was Dunbar High. They were a AA football powerhouse. When the black athletes came over to Lufkin High, we all merged together pretty well... The non-athletes (who had less discipline with respect to how we had to behave in school), stirred up some stink, but the athletes (football, baseball and basketball mainly), pretty much shut it down. That was due in large part because one of the coaches that came over from Dunbar was coach Elmer Redd. He went on to be head coach of U of H for a time and brought the Cougars up to a winning tradition where it has remained since the early 70's... Elmer Redd was a giant of a man as far as I am concerned and he kept the lid on things in our school along with the head coach Gyle Akridge. It was a good thing because the high school principal was a limp wrist do-nothing coward when all this came down. When the blacks came over, they didn't want to be there, and for the most part the whites and blacks that were at Lufkin High didn't want them there either, but we made it work. I'd have to say it was largely because of rivalry and a difference in culture. It wasn't racism (defining that as not liking someone because of the color of their skin). By the time I graduated, It was all pretty much a thing in the past, BUT it was part of our history. When we graduated we all pretty much went our separate ways, but we parted friends and we were all Lufkin Panthers and very united behind our school as a source of pride.

I don't know what has happened to people, but It sure was different then. We all could talk to each other, argue, and work out differences and NO ONE ever thought about a dang gun for cryin' out loud... Heck, probably 1/3 of us had our guns in our cars n trucks during hunting season. When school was out, we were hittin' the woods or the lake somewhere often together... It just ain't that way now, and it is a sad state of affairs.

Heck, our school fight song was Dixie, and it stayed that way until outsiders and the gubment made us stop using it as a fight song. It was the tune, but we had our own words... we all sang it together, black and white, and Hispanic... Now everbody gotta be all butt-hurt over anything and everything...

Our family structure and schools have gone to hell in a hand-basket and that is the root of it all that started when the gubment took God out of our schools. It ain't workin' out so good for us now I don't think.

Comment

it's just another excuse. hurricane katrina didn't condone slavery, and look at all the looting/shooting/crime that was carried out in her wake.

some people never make a situation better, they can only make one worse. you can give some people a pile of bricks and they build a house. u can give some people a house and they will turn it into a pile of bricks

Comment

our welfare state has 'created a monster'. look at the demographics of those rioting. it's full of our youth, of all kinds. i really think those who have been given everything, have so little desire to work, they want the ones that do work and are successful to fail..typical crabs in a buck syndrome..

if my wife and i could be guaranteed 600 a week each, for just a few years until we can draw from 401k penalty free, we might quit right now.... our lifestyle wouldn't skip a beat, even though it would be a substantial revenue cut..

Comment

95% of the people out there doing this have no idea who that statue is or what they did, or whom they did it to.....

They are given their marching orders and they have at it

Mob mentality

Comment

Destruction of property is against the law and is a punishable offense. We can’t just overlook folks breaking any law that they want to and say it’s okay. It’s not okay to tear any piece of property up or burn any city to the ground that you feel like you have the right to. Just my opinion. There are plenty of ways to get things done and obey laws.

Comment

We are on the right side.
                              It is our history the good and the bad.
                              That doesn't mean we are proud of everything that occured in our past that was bad.
                              This isn't even about what most people think it is about, there is much more at play here.
                              This has a direct parallel to what the Nazis did by using the brown shirts.

One thing about the Democrats is that they are like rust, they only bring about decay and destruction

Comment

Working...
                              X