Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle riders: Harley or BMW? Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to hear some opinions from people who have owed one or the other, or both. I’ve owned several Harley’s.....customs, Fatboy, Streetglide. Out of them all, the Streetglide was by far my favorite as far as comfort. I’ve been thinking about getting another bike. I’ve been looking at the Streetglide and the Roadglide. Those are the only two models of HD that interest me. They have both the comfort and “cool factor”. Plus a fairing/windscreen is a absolute must. Having rode 2 wheels most of my life, I’ll never own another road bike without a fairing or some type of real windscreen to block wind.
    I’ve also been looking at the BMW 1200 “adventure/rally” type bikes. I’ve never owned a bike like this. I don’t know much about them. I like that they can be fitted with hard bags for travel/trips. I carry a lot of stuff with me even just daily to/from work and the gym so some storage is a must.

For those of you that have maybe owned both or the BMW style touring bikes, what’s your opinions, pros, cons, etc........ how’s the longer ride comfort on the BMW style versus being able to stretch out on a bagger with highway pegs?

Any input is appreciated.

Harley man, it’s no questions!! As far as Street Glide Vs Road Glide. I had a street glide that I loved. Comfy, quick, everything I wanted. And in my opinion they look better than the fixed fairing of a Road Glide, but I recently rode a buddies new RG and without a doubt that’s what my next one will be!! The way that bike handled was unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
      Harley man, it’s no questions!! As far as Street Glide Vs Road Glide. I had a street glide that I loved. Comfy, quick, everything I wanted. And in my opinion they look better than the fixed fairing of a Road Glide, but I recently rode a buddies new RG and without a doubt that’s what my next one will be!! The way that bike handled was unreal.
      Was your buddies RG a 2019? 2020?

Comment

Bee Em Wobbly BMW ain't bad until you have to get one worked on. Especially the newer ones. The electrical systems are a nightmare and getting to them is even worse.
        I'm partial to Harleys since I have owned 13 of them so far Never a minutes problem with any of them. Just ride the P-waddle out of them, change oil often and they will be fine.

Comment

What I like most about my Roadglide Ultra is that I can run 80 mph with a basball cap on and not blow off my head. Absolutely NO wind buffeting behind the fairing. The next best thing is the high speed stability. Absolutely no shake or wobble at any speed like batwing fairings can have. Nookie Red is the best bike I have ever owned.

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I may go take a look at some RG’s tomorrow.

Comment

To me, Harley’s drive like tractors, but if you’ve owned them and are used to it, you should be fine. I’m a much bigger fan of the European stuff myself.

Comment

Your paying for the name with Harley. Don’t just settle on it without riding others. We have two Honda Valkyries with over 200k miles on both....they have been ridden and are great bikes. I’ve ridden **** near ever model Harley you mentioned plus the V-rod. They are nice bikes but in the end they are slow and bulky, like an old lawn tractor. There are better cruisers for the money. Harley’s are slow, I don’t care what stage kit, screaming eagle blah blah you put on them. The more you modify them for performance, the worse they run.

I rode a hayabusa for 6 years and that was a fun ride. 86 in first gear shift and hit 115 like nothing. I grew up riding MX and hare scrambles. I spent a lot of time on the 650 bikes which are like the little brothers to the “adventure” series bikes and have ridden a few bmw’s. They are a pain to service but they are truly wonderful bikes. Very capable on road and light off-road. A few guys I know road Houston to Bangor, Maine on them and no issues out of the lot. I prefer the KTM series but that’s bc I’m 6’5” and the KTM fits me better.

There’s a good series called “the long way round” where two guys ride bmws from the UK to NYC. They did a follow up documentary to South Africa called “the long way down” and it’s great too.

Comment

Kind of partial to Indian.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

A family member of my girlfriend had a Streetglide they were trying to sell. I can reach out and get some info/see if it is still available if that is something you’d be interested in.
                    Here is a link to the posting I had made about it. Feel free to shoot a PM if interested.

Comment

ah yea.....………
                      buy a Goldwing...…………………
                      for the hi-way……………………
                      anything else...……..
                      is Garbage...………………………………...

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                        ah yea.....………
                        buy a Goldwing...…………………
                        for the hi-way……………………
                        anything else...……..
                        is Garbage...………………………………...
                        I think I’d ride a stick horse before I let myself ride a Goldwing.

Comment

BE CAREFUL
                          09 Jun 2017, My Last Ride.....My twin brother and I were riding down the Texas Hill Country to tame the Three Twisted Sister, when a Distracted Driver turned in front of my 2007 Honda VTX1300R. Air Evacuated to San Antonio Military Medical Center SAMMC where I spent 9 days (5 days in the ICU). The most Professional Medical staff ever.
                          Crushed Scapula, Broken Clavicle, and 8 of my 12 Ribs are broken all on left side. On top of that they inserted a chest tube into my damaged left lung to drain blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            Was your buddies RG a 2019? 2020?

It’s a 19 CVO I believe. It’s a bad mofo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                              I think I’d ride a stick horse before I let myself ride a Goldwing.
                              that's because...….
                              you know nothing about bikes...……..

Comment

Working...
                              X