PSA on 4 wheelers and kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA on 4 wheelers and kids

The other thread about the 3 wheeler reminded me - this past week two youngsters from Taylor Texas area were both killed while riding two different 4 wheelers. I am from Taylor - guy I grew up with died a couple of years ago flipping one and prior to that another Taylor youngster died on a 4 wheeler. Please understand you can die on one of these and please do not let youngsters on them by themselves.

The Williamson County Sheriff’s Office said two teens were killed in an ATV crash in Taylor on Saturday.

That's horrible, I wonder if they were wearing helmets. Someone posted on here a couple weeks ago about getting his kid a dirt bike and posted a video of him riding it for the first time with no helmet, made me cringe but I didn't want to be "that guy". Thoughts go out to their family and friends, as well as those of the surviving teen.

Comment

My kid stuck a branch through his leg when 4 bags of corn shifted when he was riding. I imagine he was riding like a jackwad also. Plenty dangerous. Sold 4 wheeler. We go in truck now

Comment

had a 4 wheeler most of my life. most friends did as well. my nickname was "little red riding helmet" (had a big red helmet) I hated that stupid helmet, my kids will wear one if they get a 4 wheeler.

Comment

We had a guy wreck his 4-wheeler on a west Texas lease and break his leg. He was out there alone and had no phone signal. He couldn't get out and died of exposure. That would be a horrible way to go. Something to think on.

Comment

A friend rolled his 4 wheeler over himself on a late hunt in Montana a few years back. Crushed some ribs and broke his pelvis, no cell coverage and slayed there for about an hour. Finally drug himself onto the machine and slowly drove back to truck. Took another hour to fall off it, drag himself to truck, and get in. Able to drive out to highway and pass out where someone found him and got him to ER. No thanks, hate this things.

Comment

Prayers up for the families

Comment

The machines aren’t the problem — it is the drivers. And some friends from Fairfield have a son in the hospital with a concussion and broken arm from yesterday’s crash.

Comment

From my understanding the accident that occurred outside of Taylor was a Polaris Ranger, none the less dead is dead. This is going to alter the lives of all involved for the rest of their lives. So sad. Really good kids from really good families.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    The machines aren’t the problem — it is the drivers. And some friends from Fairfield have a son in the hospital with a concussion and broken arm from yesterday’s crash.
                    Yep. I rolled one over the top of me when I was 13 or 14. Broke my nose and still got a scar on my eyebrow. I was in first gear. I don’t do dumb stuff on them anymore, and I’m on one for work, alone, at least a couple times a week.

I hate that anyone died while operating one, but 99% of the time an accident occurs it is the fault of the driver.

Comment

I took a life flight ride with my 13 year old daughter once. Scariest day of my life so far. They can sure be dangerous, but a helmet would have saved her the ride and me the heartache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just had 1 of my son's friends life flighted to Houston today. She flipped a ranger and tore her foot up. Seems to be ok, but are checking for internal issues.

Comment

A million ways to go when it's your time it's your time.
                          Are you can do is minimize the risk

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yall be careful on these things, especially kids.

I almost drown when I was a kid, came over a ditch I loved to jump and it had a river flowing in it. I hit it hard and wheeler flipped and turned sideways pinning me underneath. Nobody knew where I was (at 6k acre deer lease in the summer). I was pinned probably 20 minutes and just couldn't hold my head up anymore, started taking deep breaths and letting my head go under just to let my neck muscles rest. Pretty much given up when the water seemed to rise and pickup speed and I felt the wheeler shift just a little and was able to yank my legs out from under. I had some pretty bag burns from the engine sitting on my legs.

Son's girlfriend rolled one of ours on the island coupke years ago, concussed to the point she had no idea who anyone was or where she was at for about half an hour. She thought she might have known my son from work but couldn't remember where she worked. It was weird and scary.

Comment

I bought a four wheeler with a bent frame from an older couple once - the lady was riding it around their property like she always does and took a corner a little too quick, throwing her and the four wheeler into their metal fence. She had to be Careflighted off the property. Sad deal but shows it can happen to anyone, no matter what the age.

Comment

Working...
                              X