Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoarding .... minimalist .... or somewhere in between.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoarding .... minimalist .... or somewhere in between.

So here's a question. As you grow your family (get married, and have kids), things accumulate right? With kids you have keepsakes of younger years, collectables, trophies, mounts (if we're lucky), etc. Then as the future holds grandparents and parents pass away and things get passed down. How / where do you draw the line on keepsakes, without being a hoarder and just storing things for the sake of memories, and such? Is it based on storage room availability?

Just trying to find my emotional balance on keeping stuff and purging.

Thoughts?

Most things get thrown out, donated, or repurposed around here. Don't let your things own you...that includes keepsakes. Try to keep an ongoig picture album (hard copies and digital) for memories.

Comment

Move every couple of years. It helps clutter disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't stand clutter. It makes me feel anxious. If I haven't used it or looked at it in a year, I throw it away, donate it somewhere or sell it.
        Inherited family keepsakes are tough. You aren't obligated to keep any of that stuff but seems like a shame to throw it out. Designate one box for storing things like family photos, jewelry, postcards...or whatever. And stick to one box. Every time the box fills up you can go through it and decide what stays and what can go.

Comment

Stuff in the house I am a minimalist. In the garage I have a problem throwing things away (I might need it one day).

Comment

I HATE clutter. It drives me nuts. I was married to a packrat, now that we are divorced I'm worse than ever.
            I love my parents dearly, but I dread going to visit them. I can't even drag a suite case to my bedroom without having to stop and shuffle stuff around. They weren't always like this, it seems to get worse as they get older. My mom is definitely the worse, I think my dad just finally gave in..

Comment

Both of our parents were pack rats. Dug out both houses so we are careful about collecting stuff. Just cleaned 4 truck loads out of the garage. Got wife to do a bit inside.......

Comment

This post is so on point for me.

I was married to a borderline hoarder for 15 years and took on alot of those characteristics. After the separation, she moved out into a new clutter free home. I was stuck with a lot of crap.

Now there is a new women in my life and she is a minimalist and wants to get rid of everything. It was hard because I know the cost of a lot of things... some because the price tag was still on it. We had a huge garage sale even as cheap as things were sold we made almost 2000.00 After the sale we took two loads of a truck and 16' trailer to donate. I can say while it was hard to unload that stuff and watch the dumpster divers slow rolling past us unloading. It was amazing to walk back into a clutter free house.

I also took a truck load of stuff to the ex, It was funny to see her new house has already been clutter up with junk. Old habits die hard.

Having said that new new woman has seen inside my 24 X 30 shop called the "toy box." I might have to sale a few things on here now.

Comment

I hoard for about a year and then purge and repeat.

Comment

Someone told me one time that it's best to move every 10 years or so as it helps you de-clutter and get rid of unneeded stuff. Seriously, I had some grandparents that lived in the same house for 60 years pass away and it was a job to deal with; house, garage, barn, storage sheds, etc. Just couldn't believe how much stuff they accumulated over the years.

Don't get me wrong, holding onto family heirlooms is one thing. However, keeping old furniture, electronics, baby stuff, etc, most of the time ends up being a waste as it never gets used again. Oh and don't ever volunteer to store a piece of furniture for someone temporarily as it will eventually become yours.

With that said, I would say a serial hoarder is someone that can't part with things thinking they may need it someday, although said item has no value and will never be used again. I have an aunt that has a little of this mentality and it's really hard to talk sense into people like this. If you can't navigate your garage and parts of your house, it's probably safe to say you need to get rid of some stuff.

Comment

I've thrown out more **** than I care to know. The only thing I'm sentimental about is stuff from my grandparents, that's it. At the first of every year I turn all my shirts on hangers the backwards way on the rack. If it's still hanging backwards a year later it goes to goodwill. I like a clean house uncluttered house.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                        Move every couple of years. It helps clutter disappear.

Three moves are as good as a fire !

Comment

As I have gotten older I have become increasingly clutter-phobic. I wouldn't call my wife a true pack rat but she has a harder time making a keep-or-toss decision on things. When she is unsure, she puts it in the attic where she can't see it. About a year ago she was out of town for the weekend so I backed my trailer into the garage under the attic stairs and commenced to chunking stuff. I hauled a load to the dump and a load to Goodwill. I am sure she will not miss any of it...

Comment

I get in trouble cause I throw stuff away that I'm not suppose to.

Comment

My rule of thumb is this...if we don't use it or look at it as a way to reminisce in the past 12 months, it gets tossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X