Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kids 5x6 “Killin Cabin”... (my attempt at a more budget friendly blind)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    My plan was to buy the windows and doors from deerview.... I went ahead with windows, cause I can’t build em for that price... although the 3week wait I could have. Went against the door. I can build a sealed (enough) door and shipping meant my kids couldn’t go to college. So made a door and hung it (still waiting on windows) and got some oppps paint 1/2 price in a lovely shade of dark brown. Perfect for interior. I had 1/2 a gallon of my signature “gut shot javelina green” from other blind. So the outside got a mop coat of that. Had another gallon mixed and put 2 more rolled on coats to exterior. And that’s where we sit till windows make it.

Windows are 38” from floor to bottom. Perfect for shorter folk and kids. I’m 5’8” and hate shooting from manufacturers blinds. Too high
    Could you post a pic or 2 more of the door or explain how you made it seal up?
    Looking to do the same thing. I can't justify the $200 for a door.

Comment

Awesome Blind but the best thing is the children got involved and looked like they enjoyed it ... Cool Beans !

Comment

Nice right up. I can almost smell the Javelina Gut Green [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          Could you post a pic or 2 more of the door or explain how you made it seal up?
          Looking to do the same thing. I can't justify the $200 for a door.
          I’ll see if this helps. First you can’t do hidden hinges where you put hinge in door to frame gap, they have to be on outside to not have that gap. I use 1 1/2” tubing but 2” would work great too. Cut your walls where they break in center of tubing. Then cut door to fit hole exactly.

Use scrap to hold in place. Bolt/screw (whichever needed) to walls. Then drill holes where they will be in door. Remove door and situate on frame and attach hinges to door. Reinstall door and re bolt in old holes. It ain’t air tight (dang close) but I’ve never had wasp get in.

Close door and it will/ should be tight. Set skill saw depth just shy of siding and cut a straight perfect seem... double if you want and finish the last 1/64 with box cutter. Done. Took about as long to type as do it. Not that hard
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I’ll see if this helps. First you can’t do hidden hinges where you put hinge in door to frame gap, they have to be on outside to not have that gap. I use 1 1/2” tubing but 2” would work great too. Cut your walls where they break in center of tubing. Then cut door to fit hole exactly.

Use scrap to hold in place. Bolt/screw (whichever needed) to walls. Then drill holes where they will be in door. Remove door and situate on frame and attach hinges to door. Reinstall door and re bolt in old holes. It ain’t air tight (dang close) but I’ve never had wasp get in.

Close door and it will/ should be tight. Set skill saw depth just shy of siding and cut a straight perfect seem... double if you want and finish the last 1/64 with box cutter. Done. Took about as long to type as do it. Not that hard
            Perfect. Thanks!

Comment

Looks great man!!

Comment

Heck of a build. I'm sure a lot of things will be shot from this box. Lol

Comment

Stopped by Lowe’s on way home from Tyler and grabbed some carpet and glue to get this thang wrapped up and out of my way. I’ll post pics of how I do carpet, maybe it will help someone. Build the cleanest stand built and do a sloppy job on carpet and make the whole thing look like a 6yo built it

Comment

Tools: tape measure, razor NOT A CARPET BLADE, chalk box and “third hand” clamp or a helper

Measure all components. Shelf and floor for me today, but do walls at this time if you plan on adding carpet.

Roll our carpet on flat surface. FACE DOWN!

Measure and mark by cutting 1/2” slit

Stick chalk line in slit and clamp with “third hand” or have helped hold it.

Pop line ON BACK

cut out with NEW razor blade

Test fit everything and adjust as needed
                    Attached Files

Comment

Start at front. Shelf for this project

In screw back screws and tuck carpet

Test the fit. Once perfect, re install screws and let carpet hang

Apply glue with v notch and wrap carpet in place. Add 3-4 staples or a weight until glue dries to keep shrinkage down

Install floor piece (unless walls are being carpet and do them next... always floor LAST)
                      Attached Files

Comment

With carpet “dry laid”. PERFECT... All trimming done

Kneel in middle and fold front back

Apply glue

Relay the front

Back out and flip back over front

Glue the back 1/2 and reapply carpet over back

Smooth edges and press into glue and let dry a day

Done
                        Attached Files

Comment

Will install windows on site, so I don’t break them on trees

Comment

Honda got it drug in the woods! It was about all it wanted, lol. My Yamaha would have pulled it way better, but it’s in there. Windows installed

Tip: when installing windows, they don’t come with screws..... your gonna need to go back into town to get those.

Got to prune the details and level it when I haul the office chairs in
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great project

Comment

Low Fence, you put lots of good ideas in this blind, thanks for the very good construction details. Your materials and methods will likely be showing up in future blinds throughout TX. Outstanding work.

Comment

Working...
                                X