Another Gun Safe Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Gun Safe Thread

I have read a lot of safe threads on here and know and true safe weighs and cost way more than your big box store safes. My question is, is it worth the extra money for a higher end safe that has sheet metal shell vs. a safe for way less money that has a sheet metal shell. An example would be your typical TSC Cannon safe that has 11 gauge sheet metal body and weighs 750lbs vs a Browning Medallion safe roughly same size that has 10 gauge sheet metal body and weighs 1300lbs. Whats the real difference between the two safes other than looks and some nicer features on the Browning? The Cannon cost roughly $800 and the Browning roughly 3-4k. In my mind if there isn't any true plate steel in the walls than most of the sheet metal safes are really all about the same? I wouldn't mind spending around 5K for a safe that was worth it, just don't think i can buy one for that price that isn't a tin can. Any input on this?

amsec

Comment

I checked the Amsec safes out and it looks like they also have the sheet metal body. Seems like a cordless angle grinder can get into sheet metal body pretty easily and not mess with prying the door open.

Comment

If the safes has a Residential Security Rating, then there all the same. Any knowledgeable person can break in with ease. If you want a higher security rating it’s going to cost at least $7k or more. The safes you see you mentioned, will keep an honest person honest. Your average thief will have difficulty with it. A professional thief will have no problem opening it. As for the difference you mentioned is the amount is Sheetrock/Gypsum in it. That’s what adds the weight to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
          If the safes has a Residential Security Rating, then there all the same. Any knowledgeable person can break in with ease. If you want a higher security rating it’s going to cost at least $7k or more. The safes you see you mentioned, will keep an honest person honest. Your average thief will have difficulty with it. A professional thief will have no problem opening it. As for the difference you mentioned is the amount is Sheetrock/Gypsum in it. That’s what adds the weight to them.
          I agree with most of than the above other than the last part. Steel is heavier than sheetrock. I make my own safes and wont give alot of detail but will say the outer shell is 1/4" plate while the inner liner is 3/8" plate with refractory cement in between them. Doors are laminated thick too. Steel adds weight and time to penetrate it. With that said anything can be defeated with knowledge, tools and time.

Comment

I say go middle of the road with a Liberty. Mine is 60 minute fire rated with 11 gauge body and 1/4 inch locking bars. What are the odds in the event of a fire that it’ll go beyond 60 minuets? I think it’s a slim chance. Do you have a security system? If you do I don’t think there is any way a “professional theif” is getting into the safe before the cops arive. This is why I ended up with the liberty. For me anything more would have been overkill.

Comment

The sheet rock adds weight but that’s what adds the fire retention as well. Thieves will get what they want, but fire damage will ruin everything. You have to weight the risk of fire vs burglary and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X