RL 17 or RL16 or 4350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RL 17 or RL16 or 4350

It seems that everybody gets great accuracy with the .264 bullets and 4350. I've read online where folks are getting equal accuracy with RL17 and RL16. I've not looked lately but I'm told 4350 is hard to find. Has anyone had any success loading RL 17 or RL 16 as a replacement for 4350? RL16 reportedly has some copper fouling reduction properties to it.

I'm gearing up to do some reloading with my soon-to-be new 6.5 Creedmoor or PRC. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

you can also look at IMR4451. it is supposed to be very close to H4350 with the Enduron temperature stable coating.

Comment

H4350 was hard to find but has been easier for awhile now. RL-26 is the one folks sometimes use to make the creedmoor go faster, but H4350 is the place to start.

Comment

Midsouth says they have stock on H4350.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          H4350 was hard to find but has been easier for awhile now. RL-26 is the one folks sometimes use to make the creedmoor go faster, but H4350 is the place to start.
          Bingo.

H4350 isn't that hard to find these days and is great in the creed. I agree that rl26 will get more speed but it has become a little hard to find as of late.

I was in r&m fire arms last week and they had a good supply. You may try cabelas or Carter's country. Also, it's a drive but 10ring on the nw side of town likely has it. I believe natchez has no hazmat fee right now. They seem to do this fairly often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used RL 17 and IMR 4350 in my Swede and 130 gr. Scirocco's. I've gotten a little more velocity out of the RL 17, but the accuracy has been comparable.

I've seen a lot of folks using RL 26 and I have located a pound of it. I'm going to give it a whirl with the Scirocco's and some 130 gr. Accubonds and see what happens.

Comment

You mean Hodgdon or IMR?

Comment

H4350 was a unicorn 2 years ago so I started using IMR 4350 and it has become my go to for 6.5 CM.
                When H4350 started hitting the shelves last year I grabbed 3 lbs of it. The only thing I've tried working up a load with it was my 25-06 and had good results.
                Never tried RL 16 or 17.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

RL 16 would be good in your Creedmoor but you will want H1000 or RL26 in a PRC.
                  RL 17 will get better velocity but will be temperature sensitive. You would have to load down in summer and back up when it’s colder.

Comment

As mentioned, you're going to want a much slower burner for the PRC vs. the Creed.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      As mentioned, you're going to want a much slower burner for the PRC vs. the Creed.
                      Right, because the difference is YUGE.

Lately I totally get how the 260 Rem guys felt when 6.5 Creedmoor came out...

Comment

Good stuff. I have some H4350 and will try that if I get the 6.5 CM. I am really struggling to buy the perfect caliber. Saturday will be decision day.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          Right, because the difference is YUGE.

Lately I totally get how the 260 Rem guys felt when 6.5 Creedmoor came out...
                          “Much” may have been a tad overstated, but 25-30% charge weight difference for the same powder and up to almost 50% more of a slow burner like Retumbo is appreciable. Not sure what your point is but a look at published load data for the two cartridges shows little overlap in burn rates. It’s not really a secret that an ultra magnum case capacity pairs better with slower burning powders.

Comment

Working...
                          X