Gumbo Recipe 60qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumbo Recipe 60qt

Does anyone have a good recipe for some sausage and chicken gumbo for a bigger group. 30 people. I have used Cajun blakes recipe for smaller batches, but I am not sure how to scale it up.

Thank you in advance.

Just look a cajun Blake's recipe and see how many it serves and adjust up for 30 people. Probably need to make a little more cause most people will eat more than one bowl. Personally 3 bowls and I'm done.

Comment

This was my mommas recipe. She didn’t put sausage in hers, but I’ve added it and it was good. She wasn’t a coon ***, but there are a few in the family. I’ve actually got a pot going right now. This feeds about 8 so you would need to up it 4-5 times for 30 people. Never had anyone who didn’t like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Boil two chickens with celery, 1 chopped onions, Tony’s, and garlic. Once cooked remove chickens. Add two small jars of Kerry’s roux from Kroger to broth water stirring until all is dissolved. Debone chicken and add back to pot, add pack of gizzards, add chopped onion, 2 bell peppers, aundoullie, taso, garlic, and sausage.season with Tony’s and salt to taste. Simmer for a couple hours before deciding to add too much seasoning. Boil some eggs, peel them and add them to pot. Before serving add green onions. Don’t put okra in the gumbo!

Comment

Do not put eggs in gumbo!!! Eggs do not go in gumbo!!!

Comment

You don't need 60 quarts to feed 30 people!! I make most of a 30qt pot every year and get 100-110 bowls out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
              Do not put eggs in gumbo!!! Eggs do not go in gumbo!!!

Neither does potato salad...

And I agree, 60qt is a LOT of gumbo. I would take CB’s recipe and multiply it by 4. That should give you plenty of gumbo for seconds and possibly thirds.

Comment

try freezing, then reheating a week later...

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                  This was my mommas recipe. She didn’t put sausage in hers, but I’ve added it and it was good. She wasn’t a coon ***, but there are a few in the family. I’ve actually got a pot going right now. This feeds about 8 so you would need to up it 4-5 times for 30 people. Never had anyone who didn’t like it

This recipe is pretty solid. I made it last night. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No eggs or potato salad? LOL!

Lots of people do it and it is **** good.

The boiled egg soaks up the flavor. And, the potato salad is good with a little juice drizzled on it.

Comment

No tomatoes in gumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyConfused View Post
                        Does anyone have a good recipe for some sausage and chicken gumbo for a bigger group. 30 people. I have used Cajun blakes recipe for smaller batches, but I am not sure how to scale it up.

Thank you in advance.
                        Iirc, my recipe will feed 10 ppl. Multiply everything by 3

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-30-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Have a cajun buddy who loves potato salad instead of rice in his gumbo. Apparently it's more common than you would think in Cajun country, so he says anyway.

Blake, any truth to that?
                          Last edited by Grizz83; 12-31-2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                            Have a cajun buddy who loves potato salad instead of rice in his gumbo. Apparently it's more common that you would think in Cajun country.
                            very common just depends what you were taught by relatives growing up.

I grew up in NOLA (18 yrs) and have spent the last 34 yrs in Lafayette. I don't recall any of my family or friends adding PS to their gumbo. Conversely, my wife grew up in Opelousas and her entire family adds PS to their gumbo. I've tried it once and it's not bad, as I prefer mine served on the side.

The same can be said about adding okra and/or tomatoes to your C&S gumbo. Very common in areas of NOLA since it's a creole thing. In Cajun Country, strictly the holy trinity … onions, garlic, bell pepper , occasionally celery

Comment

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X