Which spinning reel freshwater only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which spinning reel freshwater only?

I am going to be purchasing a new spinning reel for this season. I live in Colorado and currently I am only fishing from the shore. My target species will be largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, pike, wiper (hybrids), and larger trout. My budget will be $100 for the reel, though I would prefer around $60. I am leaning toward the 3000 size, or 2500 at minimum. Some reels that I am considering are: Daiwa Legalis, Regal, or Exceler -- Shimano Sedona or Sahara -- Penn Fierce II -- Quantum Energy PT (on sale for $70) -- Pflueger President or President XT. Let me know your thoughts on the above, or any others you recommend. Being a shore guy I usually only carry one rod and reel and cover a good bit of ground so it needs to be reliable.

Check out the Penn battle.

Comment

That Pflueger President is hard to beat. Silky smooth and around $55-60 for a 35 series.

Comment

I can get the Fierce II right now for $60 on sale. I like the fact that it is kinda a no frills reel and won't blind you if you look at it in the sun

Comment

PENN BATTLE ii or the Clash model believe me u wont be dissapointed

Comment

My vote goes to the Shimano Sedona due to its specs. My second would be the Daiwa Exceler

Comment

I like this guy https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lew...tSku=113424310

Comment

Penn Battle. I use them in salt water and they last me at least 5 years. Ought to last forever in fresh water.

Comment

Penn Battle II on a Ugly Stick GX2 7' med action..

One of the best combos you can make for right at 100 bucks. Will last years and years..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Your choices in Shimano or Diawa get my vote. I'm a variety fisherman also. I'm not dedicated to one species. I also look for reels with long spools for spinning. As they allow just a bit longer cast. I also prefer a reel with a rear drag despite being a "larger" reel. It's just easier for me to reach back and increase/decrease drag. To bad they are being phased out of the industry. There used to be a bunch of models available. Now, everybody wants the "compact" reels.

The 2500 reels are great small/mid sized reels. And what make up most of my spinning gear. They are great for small to mid sized cats, sandies, stripers, crappie with minnows, and most game species. I don't' fish for Bigmouth bass. But will put one on the stringer if it's big enough.

One of my best heavy reels is a Diawa 4000C I bought back in 1981 for stripers and cats. I've fished it from below many a dams for cats, stripers, and many others. Even caught my first smallie (4.5lbs in a river) after get-n broke off a few times on a lighter rig. I've also used it for trolling, still dropping, bank fishing on lakes and docks, and just about anything possible. It's mounted on a 8' Diawa heavy action rod with 20, or 25lb test.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-28-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I wish I could remember exactly what we had up in Canada. I know it was Ugly Stick rods, probably 7’. I know Shimano reels but no clue the model, etc. 4 days of northern pike up to 42” and hundreds of fish and that combo was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a kazillion hours fishing salt and fresh. I am no expert, just a worn out over fished fella and used about all the gear sold in the last 60 years. Primary I use Pflueger Presidents, 3 sizes + one Bait Caster that is also super. Semi larger for reds and surf. Medium for anything and micro for Rainbow (yes Texas has a few) and white bass. Can get salty and sandy and still work. Power smooth action. And no I am not a dealer. Had many other brands but I now use these almost 100% I have 15 to 20 rigs and these load 1'st. Lots of good stuff to confuse choices. Good luck and Tight Lines!

Comment

Check out EBay for a better deal on a Shiman Nasci in 3000 series for $70ish.

presidents are great till you use them heavily, they just don’t hold up.

Comment

I am surprised no one has mentioned 13 Fishing, Kastking, or Piscifun...

I am leaning toward Daiwa, Shimano, or Penn.

Comment

Another vote for the Shimano or Diawa options. I would go for the Shimano Sedona.

Comment

Working...
                              X