Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Processing Myself. Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've decided I am sick of paying for whitetail processing. Never get all the meat back, it is expensive, and I like doing things myself.

I have been watching YouTube videos on the subject and I am ready to give it a whirl.

I already have a smoker, vacuum sealer, jerky slicer, and a good set of knives.

I'm wanting to make jerky, summer sausage, and burger/sausage.

I am thinking all I need is a meat grinder, summer sausage kit with cure, and a stuffer.

Anything else I should get?

Thanks!

get started!

Comment

Sounds painful

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Sounds painful
        Figured it would sound better than "Processing My Own Meat"

Comment

Meat grinder is a must. Some large plastic meat trays are great too. You will need them for mixing your seasoning. And also catching the ground from the grinder.
          I recommend looking at Allied Kenco. They are all about the DIY processor

I see you're in Houston. You should go by their store and see all the products they have. It's near airline and 45.

You don't even need a separate stuffer for sausage. Just get an attachment for the grinder. You can use what's called a "kidney" plate for stuffing the summer sausage with.
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-02-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            Figured it would sound better than "Processing My Own Meat"

Well that sounds like more fun

Comment

If you're not in a hurry for needing these things I'd wait to see if academy does the big clearance this year. I picked up some good stuff for cheap last year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                If you're not in a hurry for needing these things I'd wait to see if academy does the big clearance this year. I picked up some good stuff for cheap last year.
                That's a great idea. That happens sometime early February i think right?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Meat grinder is a must. Some large plastic meat trays are great too. You will need them for mixing your seasoning. And also catching the ground from the grinder.
                  I recommend looking at Allied Kenco. They are all about the DIY processor

I see you're in Houston. You should go by their store and see all the products they have. It's near airline and 45.

You don't even need a separate stuffer for sausage. Just get an attachment for the grinder
                  I went to Allied Kenco for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Wow! That place is awesome. If they don't have it, you don't need it.

Comment

Get as big of a grinder as you can afford. More power will simplify your life as a processor. Some meat tubs are very helpful. I keep my knife sharpener handy when processing.

Just jump off and get after it! I get my kids involved and they love helping grind, mix, season, and package their food.

Comment

I have a HUGE cutting board from Ultramatic Feeders, and it's really nice for processing game. Also, get a big towel and lay under your cutting board so that it hangs out all the way around, this saves a lot of mess.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                        That's a great idea. That happens sometime early February i think right?
                        Sometime around then. 50% off all already clearanced items was awesome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a grinder and a 5 lb.stuffer.
                          I'm at the lease right now with my son and we are going to kill a couple doe and do it our self for the first time. I took my last deer to a processor back in Nov. My mule deer and paid more than I ever have in the past and got back about half what I expected......never again

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Also, get a big towel and lay under your cutting board so that it hangs out all the way around, this saves a lot of mess.
                            I've only been processing my own game for 30 years and just learned something. lol For the life of me, I don't know why I've never thought of that. Probably would have saved me a couple cases of paper towels by now.

Comment

1. Shoot Deer, empty guts and other organs
                              a) hang to age
                              b) Skin/quarter and place into ice chest, leave drain open, add ice daily for 7-10 days.
                              2. For Grill/Stew/etc.: De-bone / Cut as desired (you can get charts to help you)
                              3. For sausage; Cube, add desired spices, grind, stuff into casing then either freeze or smoke.

what else do you need to know?

Comment

Working...
                              X