Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spectacular Trees.... ever come across them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a 200+ year old pecan on the Colorado river bank at McKinney Roughs Nature Park in Bastrop Co. Pretty impressive. I'll see if I have a picture. The tap root must be 30' into the bank. It's survived dozens of floods.

Comment

Comment

If you think you have a big tree and wan tit checked and measured for State or National Champion status, get in touch with the Texas A&M Forest Service as they do all the certifications. Here is the state Champion Cypress just off the Frio in Real Co.

Comment

Also, trees are measured using a formula that takes into account the height, crown spread and circumference all added together. Some trees might be taller, but have no real crown and thin, and vice versa....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
            If you think you have a big tree and wan tit checked and measured for State or National Champion status, get in touch with the Texas A&M Forest Service as they do all the certifications. Here is the state Champion Cypress just off the Frio in Real Co.
            Criders! That tree is incredible!

Comment

That black jack is impressive, somewhere in Centerville in someone’s yard is an elm with a tag on it that refers to it as being the large one ever surveyed.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                Purchased some property with about 50 huge live oaks. I was thinking they were at least 200 years old but not really sure. Was thinking about trimming the trees so can shred underneath, some of the huge limbs touch the ground and spread out close to 100ft

Hire an arborist to do the work. Don’t try to trim on a legacy tree that old yourself. They know what can and can’t be trimmed without incurring undue stress or shocking the tree. Old trees are fickle girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The largest mesquite was in Flat, Texas, up until a few months ago. It burned down. I suspected someone did it, but have heard it was due to lightning. Had a massive trunk, but little canopy, and was in front of an old log cabin. Always enjoyed driving by.

Comment

I love big tree's. I want to take a trip to California to see the sequoia trees or redwoods. I have to do some research to find the best place to go to hike and see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      I’m also fascinated by old trees. Always think about the stories they could tell!

I wonder how you’d check to see about registering one as a champion? I have a friend who has a pine on a place in south Arkansas that needs to be measured. Probably close to 8’ diameter. It’s unreal looking.

Big cypress in the bottoms & a big white oak on the creek at home. The oak actually has a “third” trunk on the other side. Not the biggest white oak ever I’m sure, but probably the biggest (or close to it) tree on my place.

The Texas Big Tree Registry is run by Texas A&M.

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
                        I love big tree's. I want to take a trip to California to see the sequoia trees or redwoods. I have to do some research to find the best place to go to hike and see them.

Did the Redwoods last year. Fascinating trip, and one you will never forget.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	24571818

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	24571819

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	24571820

Attached Files

Comment

The 7th largest live oak is in the pasture right across the road from me. It looks like just a big old oak from the distance but when you walk under the limbs is when you can tell just how big it is. The limbs are bigger than 90% of the big oaks trunks that I know of.

Comment

I also recently ran across what I think could have been a “marker tree”. My first instinct was that it had to be too young, but upon further looking at it, it has all the hallmarks. The nose on the end, the sharp angle and constriction of the bark in the first inside bend indicating the use of a thong to force the bend, the true 90 degree angles... the more I look at it against photos of verified marker trees, the more I think it might be one.

Compared to verified marker trees...

Comment

Very cool pics!

Comment

These are awesome. I wish I had a picture of a live oak that was growing on my childhood land. It was massive.
                                I’ve seen the redwoods in Cali and was not disappointed. I’ll have to look for some pictures if I can find some.

Comment

Working...
                                X