Ruger American .243 - Stupid accurate out of the box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger American .243 - Stupid accurate out of the box

I just gave my brother a .243 Ruger American for an early Christmas gift, and we went to the range with his son to sight in their rifles. I had bore sighted them in the garage last night, so the first shots were pretty close already. After 2-3 shots we had it zero'd at 100, and he shot a 3-shot group under 1" at 100. The last two holes were touching.

This was with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 with the illuminated reticle. A decent scope for the $ but by no means a high-end scope.

We were both very pleased with these results. I look forward to seeing what he can do with some practice at 200 and 300 and beyond someday.

Great rifle. I'm so glad I chose that one. And with the Boyd's stocks available for it, I can get him a stock upgrade for Christmas next year and a scope upgrade the year after that.

I don't hesitate to recommend these. I looked hard at the Savage, Mossberg and Remington in that price range, and the Ruger was IMO the best deal.

I have wondered about the americans. I like ruger. How well did the bullets feed? was the action smooth?

The low end remingtons have horrible actions and are hard to chamber. I was worried about that with the american.

Comment

They are EXCELLENT rifles! Worked on one for a friend of mine and got it all set up for him. Action is smooth and easy and ready to go out of the box. The Cons on it in my opinion are not a fan of the mag on it. The stock free floats unless excessive force is applied. The trigger is not bad on it. Not terrible but not outstanding.

Comment

Got one in .243 and as stated stupid accurate. Like it so well I bought on in 30.06 stupid accurate too.

Comment

I have one as well in 30.06 with a leupold vx-2 on it and love the rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
            I have wondered about the americans. I like ruger. How well did the bullets feed? was the action smooth?

The low end remingtons have horrible actions and are hard to chamber. I was worried about that with the american.
            Action fed smooth as silk. I'm a huge fan of Mauser actions (which this is not) because of how smoothly they feed and how little slop there is in the bolt. Well this isn't a Mauser action, but it's the next best thing IMO. It's a big reason I went with the Ruger vs. the others. Ruger's bolt is much larger in diameter, and it doesn't wobble around in the action when you pull it back like the others do. This just drives me nuts. I know it probably doesn't affect the accuracy, but it's just something I think the other companies need to pay closer attention to. A rifle with a bolt that slops around when it's drawn just feels like a cheap rifle.

No, I'm not a fan of the magazine but that's really my only knock on this rifle, and it's pretty minor. 10/22 Rugers have been feeding plastic magazines for decades and folks seem to love them just fine.

I agree the trigger could be a hair better, but it's still better than 90% of all the hunting rifles I've shot in my lifetime, so that's pretty nitpicking. Must not be too bad since my brother shot sub-1" in his first attempt.

Believe it or not, the trigger in the CVA Hunter I got for his son was a little better trigger. I've bought three of those CVA Hunters now, and every single one had one of the best triggers I've ever shot. No creep and crisp break around 3 lbs.

I felt a hair of creep in the Ruger trigger, but then it's adjustable so perhaps some of that could be adjusted out of it. I dunno.

I'm seriously thinking of getting an American of my own now. I'd love to dress it up with this stock -

Or maybe this one.

Shop hardwood gunstocks for any make, model, and action with the Boyds Gunstock Configurator. Choose from several wood and finish options.

Comment

price?

Comment

They are the best cheap rifle out there right now. They do shoot great for what they are. I have one in .270 and my buddy had one in .243 and now has one in 7-08. They all have shot great and action is very smooth. They are a great budget rifle or truck gun.

Comment

Good to know. I bought one in
                  .223 for my daughter. Plan on sighting it in next week.

Comment

Nice to see somebody else shooting one. I bought my from a TBH'er and I like it so far. I have not taken an animal yet. The action was not very smooth and I even talked to Ruger about. They wanted to see the rifle. I took the rifle out today and I had no issues loading it or cycling another round after I shot at a coyote.

Just need to find more ammo. It's like searching for .22lr

I will be switching to a Vortex scope as well.
                    Last edited by 2050z; 12-06-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

My American is a 243 with a vortex scope. I use it as a truck gun and can't be happier. Very accurate for the price no doubt.

Comment

I have one in .308 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 that shoots lights out.

Comment

I bought a Ruger American in .270 Jan. 1 of this year. Took my BIL out to sight it in a week later with a Vortex Diamondback sighted in at 2" over center @ 100 yards. He dropped a doe the next evening @ 352 yards. He bought the rifle and scope from me when I dropped him off at his house. It was his first deer, first rifle, and best time he's ever had hunting. I'll own another one one day, great economical rifles for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                            My American is a 243 with a vortex scope. I use it as a truck gun and can't be happier. Very accurate for the price no doubt.

What Vortex scope do you have?

Comment

Looking at an All Weather American in .243 right now. Might have to be my present to my self this year...

Is the stainless OK to get as far as accuracy and durability? Or is a blued better for accuracy?

Comment

Working...
                              X