Eagle River, CO trout on the fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle River, CO trout on the fly

Headed west this morning from Silverthorne to Gypsum, CO to fish with The Colorado Angler guide service. I’ve never fly fished but have been practicing for months. Got a few small Browns early and finally found larger rainbows in deep water along big rocks.
    Both fish put up a great fight for my 5 wt rod along the submerged rocks. The larger fish was actively feeding on the top so we quickly switched to a rod set up with a dry fly. Took about 20 mins of casting to finally get it in front of his face

Click image for larger version

Name:	7A33785D-B8C9-4CEF-976E-2DE3EF7D641D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	25215434

Click image for larger version

Name:	5183FA39-F299-4DC2-BEF8-146E30DB29C5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	25215435

Wonderful! Fishing in the mountains is a great way to spend the day. Glad you found some success!

Comment

Fly fishing is very addicting

Comment

Awesome! Congrats...

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
          Fly fishing is very addicting
          Kind of like your first bow kill as far as the way it affects you. The first time you make that perfect cast right where you were looking, and your dry fly lands lands lightly in that swirl on the downstream side of a big rock and you see a flash as the trout rises to sip the fly. It happens once and you never get over that feeling.

Comment

yep, i'm jealous. Hope you have a great trip. And post a recap

Comment

Chunk of a 'bow, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                Kind of like your first bow kill as far as the way it affects you. The first time you make that perfect cast right where you were looking, and your dry fly lands lands lightly in that swirl on the downstream side of a big rock and you see a flash as the trout rises to sip the fly. It happens once and you never get over that feeling.
                Yep!
                This fish was feeding near a bend in the river that was creating a back current. He and one other big trout were sitting in the confluence of the two currents and feeding energetically. It was counterintuitive, I had to cast away from the fish and drift the fly back to him, took a few time to catch the correct angle

Comment

That’s awesome. Can’t think of a better way to spend the day! Beautiful fish

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Yep!
                    This fish was feeding near a bend in the river that was creating a back current. He and one other big trout were sitting in the confluence of the two currents and feeding energetically. It was counterintuitive, I had to cast away from the fish and drift the fly back to him, took a few time to catch the correct angle
                    Great day!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

there is some stillwater you might want to try near you between Copper and Vail pass - Black Lk and the copper ponds

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                          there is some stillwater you might want to try near you between Copper and Vail pass - Black Lk and the copper ponds
                          Thanks I saw those , pm coming

Comment

Trout are simply gorgeous.

Comment

The cool thing about fly fishing is you do it in the most beautiful places in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X