Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grim Reaper’s are so deadly they kill even when they don’t deploy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sure looks like a practice head to me. Maybe it’s the light but the blades look gold colored. Usually the practice heads have gold colored blades.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
      I bet it opened and closed as it backed out since there was no pass through.
      This! Don’t be fooled, they’ll open and make a mess inside and upon exit, or backing out in this case, they’ll close back up. I found that out when shooting them early on in Haybales. Kept wondering why when they passed through the bales they were closed up. Happens that they close shut when stopped or in this case, backed out. Would bet 100% they opened inside (over the top mechs do that) and closed upon exit. Have killed many many deer with GR Mechs and “watched 95% of them drop”. Congrats on the buck man!!

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      58 lbs for a mechanical is a little low imo. Especially if you hit bone.
      When I went from 70 to 60 lbs. I switched to fixed blades. I like ram cats and slick tricks
      Agree here too. Shoot 1 3/8” and you’ll be good with that setup
      Last edited by mdnabors; 11-22-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Good lesson to learn on a deer that you recovered. Looks like a perfect shot.

Probably good suggestions to review your Ke and then decide if you should switch to fixed blades.

I shoot mechanicals with 62 lb draw weight and get pass throughs on all but the biggest pigs. I've learned just now on this thread that the minor reduction in draw weight is enough to give performance issues with a mechanical head.

What head do you normally shoot?

Comment

If you want to try a different broadhead I would suggest the Rage Hypodermics. They tend to get bashed on TBH, but me, my wife, and kids have been using them for years. Never had any issues with them not opening. They leave one heck of a hole that results in very short an bloody trail to a dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried the grims the first time this year and logged a hog kill where the arrow came out closed. I did hit it in the neck and it was dead AF but still reading this further kills my confidence in them.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              Good lesson to learn on a deer that you recovered. Looks like a perfect shot.

Probably good suggestions to review your Ke and then decide if you should switch to fixed blades.

I shoot mechanicals with 62 lb draw weight and get pass throughs on all but the biggest pigs. I've learned just now on this thread that the minor reduction in draw weight is enough to give performance issues with a mechanical head.

What head do you normally shoot?
              Yes I learned a good lesson, that thankfully didn’t cost me a deer. I usually shoot G5 Strikers. No complaints, they do the job. I first tried mechanicals 5 years ago when Rage introduced their chisel tip 2 blade. Same bow, same weight & specs. Shot 1 really large buck with those. He was nearly completely quartered away. Hit in in front of the last rib. Arrow ran the length of his chest cavity, but no exit. I wasn’t shocked by that since the arrow had to carve such a large path through this body, the arrow was literally pushing the skin out on the front of his off side shoulder.

I switched to these grim reapers because I liked the 3 blade design and read good results.

After reading up on this my issue is two fold. Low draw weight coupled with a Short draw length. It isnt really draw weight alone. Draw length and arrow weight all play a role in the arrows ability to maintain momentum through resistance.

I’ll either go back to shooting fixed, or try to crank this bow down beyond its max and get a few more lbs and get a heavier weighted arrow

Comment

Congrats on a great 6 point!

Which GR did you shoot? The 1 3/8” Razor Tip are awesome heads. Looks like your shot was too high and far back for heart, but got the job done with a lung hit. They don’t always bleed a ton (with ANY HEAD) but finding him less than 100 yards away is great.

I read a few comments about these heads and others like them not opening up. They open. Every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  Yes I learned a good lesson, that thankfully didn’t cost me a deer. I usually shoot G5 Strikers. No complaints, they do the job. I first tried mechanicals 5 years ago when Rage introduced their chisel tip 2 blade. Same bow, same weight & specs. Shot 1 really large buck with those. He was nearly completely quartered away. Hit in in front of the last rib. Arrow ran the length of his chest cavity, but no exit. I wasn’t shocked by that since the arrow had to carve such a large path through this body, the arrow was literally pushing the skin out on the front of his off side shoulder.

I switched to these grim reapers because I liked the 3 blade design and read good results.

After reading up on this my issue is two fold. Low draw weight coupled with a Short draw length. It isnt really draw weight alone. Draw length and arrow weight all play a role in the arrows ability to maintain momentum through resistance.

I’ll either go back to shooting fixed, or try to crank this bow down beyond its max and get a few more lbs and get a heavier weighted arrow
                  I shoot the NAP Spitfire Maxx, 450 grain arrow at 62 lbs and have had great success, if you want to try a different head.

Comment

My further kill with my bow is on a pig at 56 yards with a grim reaper practice head

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                      Congrats on a great 6 point!

Which GR did you shoot? The 1 3/8” Razor Tip are awesome heads. Looks like your shot was too high and far back for heart, but got the job done with a lung hit. They don’t always bleed a ton (with ANY HEAD) but finding him less than 100 yards away is great.

I read a few comments about these heads and others like them not opening up. They open. Every time.
                      Hi...not entirely true about opening all of the time. The fatal steel had an o ring in it that was a tad small. I shot a red deer cow with one and it failed to open ....and a whitetail. Got to checking them out and put a different o ring from an older broadhead on it and then they opened every time. Even called GR about it and asked them to send me some of the older o rings and they did. You need to check each one out by moving the blades prior to using them....I found several that were affected so I trashed the fatal steel and am using the razor cut and pro series. Those seem to be working out okay. Cheers!
                      Fred

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        I shoot the NAP Spitfire Maxx, 450 grain arrow at 62 lbs and have had great success, if you want to try a different head.

https://www.newarchery.com/product/spitfire-maxx/
                        Great heads! I shoot rage trypans and killzones and pull about 55 lb and have zero issues blowing through animals. I don't think it's a draw weight issue..

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          If you want to try a different broadhead I would suggest the Rage Hypodermics. They tend to get bashed on TBH, but me, my wife, and kids have been using them for years. Never had any issues with them not opening. They leave one heck of a hole that results in very short an bloody trail to a dead deer.

My Jeffrey what beautiful hands you have. Is that Palmolive?😂

Comment

I quit them in 2015; went back to rage never looked back

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

I noticed too and can't help but admire the nail color

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                Originally posted by Pedernal View Post

I noticed too and can't help but admire the nail color
                                Glad I'm not the only one!

There's no fingernail polish in deer hunting!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X