No announcement yet.

Does anyone here have bees? Just bought my first Nuc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twerpy got a scholarship with the local beekeeping club (Metro Beekeepers) and we’ve been going to classes and keeping bees as a family.

It’s been lots of fun, and a big learning experience. All of us are really enjoying it.

Just one hive right now, planning to catch swarms in ths spring for expansion.

I’ll probably buy a hive or two from a club member at some point as well.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Do you guys use honey bee lure to catch bees? Does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Would this be good to start with? Or is there something better?

https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Keeper-...H5WHY129AB0YQF

I ordered mine from Mann Lake. Already painted and ready to go, just had to set it in the field and install my nuc.

Do you need new hives? We’ve got just what you need! Our bee hive kits come with everything you need to get started. Browse at Mann Lake today!

Comment

I use swarm commander, it absolutely works just don't overdo it. Refresh every 2-3 weeks. Lot of folks use lemongrass oil, I've never have so I can't say one way or the other.

Comment

To catch swarms it’s more important to place some old brood comb in the trap. It can be small as a 3” square. I caught 4 the first year with no comb, 25 this year with comb.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
              I use swarm commander, it absolutely works just don't overdo it. Refresh every 2-3 weeks. Lot of folks use lemongrass oil, I've never have so I can't say one way or the other.
              When you catch a swarm do you catch a queen also or do you buy one?

Comment

Old queen goes with the first swarm, following swarms maybe virgin queens or new queens.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                  Spend some time on YouTube. There are some good guys on there. I like the Fat Beeman.
                  There is no end to what there is to learn.
                  Check out Fredrick Dunn, seems to know his stuff. There is also an old Russian immigrant that lives in SC, Pavlov is his name, cant remember his site info. Interesting old dude.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                    I currently have 25 hives, all feral bees. They are too aggressive to work without protection but they make good honey and loads of it.
                    Africanized I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Africanized I presume?
                      Probably so but they’re only bad when I open them up or mow too close.

Comment

I just got my setup put together. Going to start out with three hives and get up to six by next spring.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I've used both Swarm Commander and lemongrass oil. I've had better luck with the commander, but both have worked.

One thing that needs to be mentioned as well when catching swarms, is how far you move them after the catch. I go by the <2ft or >2 miles rule.

If you plan on keeping them near where you caught them, try not to move them more than 2ft per day until you have them in their final spot. Otherwise, try to move them more than 2 miles on your initial move. Their range is about 1.5-2 miles, so moving them greater than that will help you retain them after the move. If you move them greater than the couple of feet, they will literally come back to where the trap was and swarm around, looking for their new home that is now gone. When moving, I've also found it best to close them up the night before I move them, after they've mostly come back to the hive for the night, and then open them up in their new location early in the morning. Those that I've kept close to the catch site, I've placed on a wagon and just slowly moved them daily. I'm usually too impatient to do that, so my buddy and I tend to trade swarms that we catch and move them directly into our separate apiaries that are about 35 miles apart.

I'm no expert and still learning daily, but just a few tidbits that have helped me over the past couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieDoc08 View Post
                            I've used both Swarm Commander and lemongrass oil. I've had better luck with the commander, but both have worked.

Does anyone know what exactly is in Swarm Commander? I have baited my trap with lemongrass oil, and haven’t had any luck yet. I have also heard that bees like being around other bees, so you can put a swarm trap close to existing hives.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                              Does anyone know what exactly is in Swarm Commander? I have baited my trap with lemongrass oil, and haven’t had any luck yet. I have also heard that bees like being around other bees, so you can put a swarm trap close to existing hives.

I saw a report somewhere that said there’s pheromones in it, but how they would extract that, I have no idea. I’ve definitely noticed a difference when I use it over straight lemongrass oil, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X