Buying a little land.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a little land.

I retire in 3 to 4-years, kids are out and doing well, no debt, and retirement finances are looking very good (unless Biden screws me over somehow).

Thinking about putting $200K to $250K in a piece of hunting land. Thinking it won't get LESS valuable, and should appreciate some over the next 20 years, and cannot get hit by a market bubble. Diversify the portfolio a bit. In the mean time I enjoy my place and maybe offer it for day leasin for a minor amount of cash income. Several places near hear between 70 and 110 acres at the price.

How do you figure out what property in east Texas is worth?

I have no idea where to start figuing land value based on timber income. Pine and hardwood can be cut, but how often and how much do you make on average?

My father in law is a forester in Nacogdoches. He can give you an idea on how to figure land.
    Just google John Crawford consultants, Nacogdoches

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      My father in law is a forester in Nacogdoches. He can give you an idea on how to figure land.
      Just google John Crawford consultants, Nacogdoches
      Convienient, since I live in Nac. Is you FIL Mr. Crawford?

Comment

Better off investing that money and getting on a nice deer lease somewhere. Day leasing 70 acres in east Texas would basically be robbing people. Not to mention taxes and upkeep. So much time, work and money goes into owning land.

Comment

The further east you get, the cheaper it gets. Especially SE.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
            Convienient, since I live in Nac. Is you FIL Mr. Crawford?
            Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              Better off investing that money and getting on a nice deer lease somewhere. Day leasing 70 acres in east Texas would basically be robbing people. Not to mention taxes and upkeep. So much time, work and money goes into owning land.
              I've bow hunted lots of places and rarely hunted over more than the 30 to 40 acres where the feeder was. I think a number of folks with no other choices might be willing to pay $50 to have the use of 70 acres for a day, or night for hogs, squirrels, or deer. I have.

You're sure right that owning land is a lot of work and trouble. My main thought was to invest in something besides the stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.

Comment

Buying a little land.

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                I retire in 3 to 4-years, kids are out and doing well, no debt, and retirement finances are looking very good (unless Biden screws me over somehow).

Thinking about putting $200K to $250K in a piece of hunting land. Thinking it won't get LESS valuable, and should appreciate some over the next 20 years, and cannot get hit by a market bubble. Diversify the portfolio a bit. In the mean time I enjoy my place and maybe offer it for day leasin for a minor amount of cash income. Several places near hear between 70 and 110 acres at the price.

How do you figure out what property in east Texas is worth?

I have no idea where to start figuing land value based on timber income. Pine and hardwood can be cut, but how often and how much do you make on average?

You can do a quick internet research on pine timber management. I live in pine hills in louisiana. It looks a lot like east Texas. if you buy land for timber, you can pay for it with the timber much quicker than you think. You can get a first thinning cut in 7-10 years, another in 15. If you want money logs, manage it for that and cut those around 20. The land will be paid for. You still own it. You can hunt on it every year. It’s yours. And you keep making more trees. Why more people don’t do this is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Lostacresranch; 02-23-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I think what panhadlehunter is saying is the piney woods holds 19 deer per 1000 acres and the post oak savannah at 46 per thousand. That would be 1.9 deer on 100 acres in piney woods and 4.6 per 100 in the post oak savannah.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Most of my place is plantation pine, with some native white, red oaks, hickory, maple, etc.
                    I bought a place for 89K that was a few years overdue for 1st thinning. Within 3 months I got about 12K back. Second thinning was 5 years later and only brought about 7 or 9K.
                    Next thinning is in about 2 or 3 years and will be looong sawlogs. I may, or may not, be around for the last cut, but as I thin and open up more canopy I am getting native grasses back in there and trying to re-establish quail and turkey habitat.
                    Wife thought I was nuts buying it and now she won't even think of selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                      I think what panhadlehunter is saying is the piney woods holds 19 deer per 1000 acres and the post oak savannah at 46 per thousand. That would be 1.9 deer on 100 acres in piney woods and 4.6 per 100 in the post oak savannah.

All you need to do is Buy the right pine land. You get a hard woods creek bottom running through it, and see what shows up. I cut every pine on my place last cutting 7 years ago. I left every hardwood tree after every cut starting 30 years ago. I have oaks now 30 years old and more deer than I have seen in my lifetime living in this state. My 300 acres is paid for. I’m buying more. And I don’t have to worry about leases or lease members. I hunt like I want. The land value has gone from 300 an acre to 2500. Banks love me, because I’m worth something. I thank god I bought that crappy pine land when I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                        All you need to do is Buy the right pine land. You get a hard woods creek bottom running through it, and see what shows up. I cut every pine on my place last cutting 7 years ago. I left every hardwood tree after every cut starting 30 years ago. I have oaks now 30 years old and more deer than I have seen in my lifetime living in this state. My 300 acres is paid for. I’m buying more. And I don’t have to worry about leases or lease members. I hunt like I want. The land value has gone from 300 an acre to 2500. Banks love me, because I’m worth something. I thank god I bought that crappy pine land when I did.
                        I was not nocking East Texas. I was manly referring to the day lease aspect. Sounds like SJP51 needs to find 70 to 100 acres next to you as the deer numbers my be a little higher. Haha

Comment

Thanks gents. Lots of new info to ponder on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                            Yep, you done good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                              I was not nocking East Texas. I was manly referring to the day lease aspect. Sounds like SJP51 needs to find 70 to 100 acres next to you as the deer numbers my be a little higher. Haha

Im blessed to own mine in the middle of 7000 of timber co. Leases, so I can really draw them in with food plots and feeders too.. the biggest deer seen all year was a 130 class 8 pt., and a 140 class ten pt, with tons of smaller ones, but I see more deer now than I ever have in an area not previously known for having deer. No monsters, but they are standing on my ground. Having you own land is wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                              X