Sambar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sambar

I was very intrigued by the Powderhorn thread and am interested in hunting Sambar. But, I don't know how the meat tastes? Is it good to eat and what does it taste like? Thank you.

Its good to eat. Has a more beef flavor than whitetail. I would put them in the following order. 1. Nilgai 2. Sambar tied with Axis 3. Whitetail.

I will say their meat is defiantly more chewy than any of the other from my list above. I wouldn't make any roasts or whole muscle meals from sambar meat, but I'd make burger and sausage out of one.

Jason Slocum

Comment

I just pulled up to my processor with 3 sambar. Tasted the backstrap last night.
      1" cutlets
      Oil, Salt&Pepper, minced garlic and onion
      Pan seared to med rare-meduim.
      My mother said it tasted just like beef sirloin and to my suprise, it did!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
        Its good to eat. Has a more beef flavor than whitetail. I would put them in the following order. 1. Nilgai 2. Sambar tied with Axis 3. Whitetail.

I will say their meat is defiantly more chewy than any of the other from my list above. I wouldn't make any roasts or whole muscle meals from sambar meat, but I'd make burger and sausage out of one.

Jason Slocum
        All due respect, I bet whole muscle roasts would probably be ok in a crockpot. You might try the Mississippi Pot Roast in the recipe forum. I had some sausage, steaks and fajitas made from an aoudad my brother shot and they all came out great. Some of the steaks were a little chewy but those were also the ones I overcooked.

Comment

Okay, it's good to hear that they taste good. I haven't duck hunted in 25 years as I don't like killin' something that I won't eat, 'cept coyote, of course.

Comment

After visting the processor, whom has tasted, tried, and had wildgame and sausage production for his career, I gave him left over backstrap cutletd. He took one bite and his eyes got big and said it was incredible. Took #1 spot of all game. Above Eland, Nilgai and Axis!

Comment

Where do you find these?

Comment

My BIL killed one last year when we went to Powderhorn. He said the meat was pretty good.

Comment

Where is Powderhorn?

Comment

Originally posted by bowcrazy View Post
                    where is powderhorn?
                    poc

Comment

The more you post about it, the worse your odds become guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yeah this draw hunt is screwed now. It’s even being posted on non-Texas hunting sites because it’s a source of free range Sambar - and there aren’t many around. Oh well... 1000 preference points later and MAYBE.

Comment

Cant keep people from talking about it. When you get one it's worth celebrating and congratulations are in order.

It's the states fault if we are invaded. And I dont mean Tesla and Austin and the like, but that that too. Lol

I'll never understand why a hunting license purchase isnt required before applying to the draw hunts. Resident or nonresident as applicable....

Comment

This is one the hunts I don't shy from discussing. Its apparent that it is one of the most premiere hunts.

Let me put some guys minds at ease:

Killing a sambar at Powderhorn, is less of an achievement in my eyes than a young boy shooting a squirrel(which is much more of a challenge in my opinion)

Ask me why?
                            I will tell you. I will show you. You can watch it for yourself. It was nothing that I expected, but with that I made the most of it for my 75yr old father with lung cancer/bone cancer and my older special needs brother.

I'm not taking anything away from Powderhorn, it is still a remarkable place and offers something no other WMA can.

Yet, it is not a hunt I will put an application in for again. Let that sink in.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                              This is one the hunts I don't shy from discussing. Its apparent that it is one of the most premiere hunts.

Let me put some guys minds at ease:

Killing a sambar at Powderhorn, is less of an achievement in my eyes than a young boy shooting a squirrel(which is much more of a challenge in my opinion)

Ask me why?
                              I will tell you. I will show you. You can watch it for yourself. It was nothing that I expected, but with that I made the most of it for my 75yr old father with lung cancer/bone cancer and my older special needs brother.

I'm not taking anything away from Powderhorn, it is still a remarkable place and offers something no other WMA can.

Yet, it is not a hunt I will put an application in for again. Let that sink in.

It may have not been a challenge for your crew to kill a stag, but it was a challenge for our group. Only 2 in our group saw stags that were greater than what amounts to a 2x2. Yes, I saw a small 2x2 the first evening, but passed hoping for something larger. I never saw another antlered sambar the rest of the hunt. One other in our group did not see an antlered sambar the entire hunt. When the staff at the WMA starts off orientation with "who travelled the farthest and we'll give them the best unit" it kinda stacks things against the other groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X