Bad 17hmr ammo and a cracked stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad 17hmr ammo and a cracked stock

Pops was shooting his Savage 17HMR yesterday and a round blew up in the chamber blowing out the magazine, cracked the stock and bent the bottom metal. Was worried he used the wrong ammo but after punching out the round it was indeed Hornady 17 hmr Vmax. Looks like it had a crack in the casing as the bullet was seated to far so it blew out the back end of the round instead. Started digging threw the ammo box and found 7 more cracked casings. Went to other boxes and found more.

Has this happened to anyone before and what was the course of action? Looks to be Hornady at 100% fault.

Thanks

Last edited by 150class; 12-25-2020, 12:09 PM.

Santa brought my son a savage 17 this morning for Christmas. He also dropped two boxes of the vmax and they're the same lot number as yours. I thumbed thru them and didn't see any split.

Comment

I need to check my 17hmr ammo.
      Bummer. Hopefully they get it all fixed
      I had my pmr30 explode on the 75th shot. Called keltec they got it all fixed up. I’ve put a couple thousand rounds through it with no problems.

Comment

Hope your Pops is ok, scary thing for sure. I can't believe the projectile didn't at least go down the pipe. First glance at bullet says obstructed barrel but crazier things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          Santa brought my son a savage 17 this morning for Christmas. He also dropped two boxes of the vmax and they're the same lot number as yours. I thumbed thru them and didn't see any split.
          Where are you seeing the lot number? I’ve got a couple thousand I’d like to check as well, but I’m only seeing an item number pictured.

Comment

OP that sucks it happened. I’d bet Hornady will take care of you. Be glad it happened with a 17, and not a centerfire.

Comment

Wow!
              Interested to know what Hornady has to say.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                Where are you seeing the lot number? I’ve got a couple thousand I’d like to check as well, but I’m only seeing an item number pictured.
                I just said lot, I was referring to all of the numbers. I looked these boxes over and don't see an actual lot number

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  OP that sucks it happened. I’d bet Hornady will take care of you. Be glad it happened with a 17, and not a centerfire.
                  Exactly. If this was a larger caliber things could’ve became real western.

Barrel was clear to their knowledge (always a possibility though) and the casing was stuck right in the camber and no further down the barrel.

We have about 10 boxes that I’ll be trying to send back to Hornady

Comment

There was a lot of problems with 17 hmr ammo years ago, and resulted in several injuries (including some USDA Animal Damage Control folks). I think the split necks resulted in stuck bullets down the barrel and when the next round was fired, catastrophe happened. I thought quality control measures in manufacturing improved that situation but perhaps not completely. Sorry this happened!

Comment

That cartridge looks like it was tampered with after it was loaded. A split neck like that could have been caused by someone trying to remove the crimped in bullet. HMR brass is thin and lots of rifles split a number of the necks on firing, depending on chamber dimensions.That's really no big deal, But that cartridge having a split neck, a flattened bullet nose, and what looks like scrape marks on the bullet right out of the box is interesting. Hornady may or may not have had anything to do with that. If there were a number of rounds like that, I'd be tempted to pull the bullet out of one of the affected rounds, and another "normal" round and weigh and visually inspect the powder charge..Of course Hornady might want all the ammunition back to do their own evaluation...

Comment

Wow that is scary. Hope everyone is ok and I am curious to see what Hornady says.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                          Wow!
                          Interested to know what Hornady has to say.
                          Me too. I’ve got a lot of ammo to check.

Comment

I had a 22 mag cci blow up in a pmr 30 keltec this past summer as I was battling a rattle snake tore up my gun and fore arm had to take out snake with a stick.

Comment

I had this happen with some Remington, but they showed signs of over pressure. Sent them back to them and they refunded my purchase price, but wouldn't say they were bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X