CPAP users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPAP users?

I did my sleep study 9 years ago, doctor and place are closed down now! Having back problems so bought a adjustable bed for zero gravity, sleeping on back I wake up gasping for air twice last night. Is it normal to have to increase air pressure over time? I found a u tube on how to increase my units air setting, i guess my question is more air pressure needed as you age to keep airway open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think so. Maybe with weight gain, position etc. 9 years seems like a long time, you may need a check up. My unit automatically adjusts each night. Starts at 4 and goes up from there. I've seen it as high as 20.

Comment

Yes it can.....sounds like a time for a check up or an auto adjusting machine.

Comment

Yes, i have not had a physician adjust mine in over 10 years. You should learn what your cpap is doing and keep up with it. It is really pretty simple. Check out the cpap forums to learn more. If yours has a memory card, down load the software to read it, as it is monitoring your progress. This is a big help. Sounds like a little pressure increase will help you. It uses centimeters of water column as the reference, bump it up 1 centimeter at a time until the problem goes away.
        Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and i only play doctor with girls.

Comment

New guidance is home sleep study every 4 years. If it has been 10, you are overdue and probably need a pressure adjustment. It's not smart to do it on your own. I just re-did my home sleep study, switched from CPAP to APAP, which varies the pressure depending on what my need is for each breath. If i'm on my side, I need lower pressure, if I end up on my back, that sucker has to pump air like crazy.

Seriously, go see a sleep doc, don't jack with it yourself.

Comment

theres no question it changes. you're supposed to get tested every couple years. I just adjust my own but last year I got a machine that auto adjusts for me. it's been great

Comment

Anyone who owns/uses a CPAP this meter provides a quick reference of the output of your machine. And will help in setting the output to meet ones needs. Understanding there are a lot of older machines that have been discontinued or whatever and as ones needs, increase simply adjust as needed.

As referenced with the amazon link below

$23.95

Comment

Anybody that jacks with a CPAP who doesnt have specific sleep lab experience is playing with fire. 30 years in healthcare here... I would't touch mine by myself. If you set your CPAP pressures too high you can actually cause significant issues - including sustained tachycardia (high heart rate) and heart attack. CPAP uses constant pressure, it's old technology... go get a sleep study done and switch to APAP which will provide pressures that auto-adjust between 4 and 20. It adjusts based on your position, sleep cycle, etc. Gives you the perfect pressure for that specific breath depending on what you need.

Seriously - don't jack with it on your own... it's not a Holly 4-barrel that you just adjust the screw based on the idle sound of the engine!! lol

Comment

I have to see my sleep study doctor every three months. Most of the time it's just a review since my machine has a blue tooth and they get my results on line. I have the Dream Station the only thing I've done is remove the humidifier, it wasn't working for me, and so far no issues. About once a week, I'll fall asleep and don't put it on, so far I've been waking up. lol
                  My wife on the other hand sent hers back, she never could get used to it she would wake up tearing it off her face. I think she's claustrophobic.

Comment

You definitely need to have another sleep study done or increase your life insurance policy My cousins machine stopped working a few months ago and he had a stroke. Go get another sleep study done period.

Comment

Mine is an apap/bipap. Have not had a sleep study since 2004. I am on my 2nd machine. This is what anyone who has one should look into. Know whats going on with your treatment. Know when something changes. Know when to get your doctor involved. With the software and machines available today, it is simple to see changes.

World's largest and most helpful CPAP and Sleep Apnea forum. Advice, setup manuals, OSCAR software. Make pressure changes and adjustments safely, tips on treatment

Comment

Even with an APAP you need at least an annual check up with your sleep doc. Let them look at the numbers from the sd card and determine if what you are doing is working. The doctors have made adjustments on mine almost every time I have been in based on the numbers of events and pressures they were at.

Comment

Working...
                        X